Remove Advertisements

Blacksmithing vs. Jewelcrafting

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Blacksmithing vs. Jewelcrafting

Postby PizzaOfHut » Thu May 17, 2007 2:35 am

I had been a smithy ever since my first week of WoW back in 1.1. That changed about a month ago when, fed up with the Warrior-centric everything as well as sinking loads of money and time to get to around 335-340 skill by making crap, I dropped smithing and took up Jewelcrafting. Earlier today, at skill level 350, I got my first blue cut for 150g + 3 Dawnstones cut with my new design. I am finally at the stage where I can become profitable. At the same time, tho, I couldn't help but wonder if I could have been profitable earlier on (and with less effort) if I had stuck with smithing. Also, I was kinda unaware of stuff like Bracers of the Green Fortress that is pretty useful for pallytanks (But again, so is the Dawnstone Crab, and maybe even the Living Ruby Serpent) Basically, JC for me has much higher profit potential (Green cuts go for 1g a whack on my server, and blues go for 10g) but Smithing has better stuff to wear (albeit at high cLvls and skill lvls) and a healthy profit margin at 375 (100g per nether for crafting an epic with THEIR mats, FTW).

Anyhow, that's my snippet of incoherent babble for the day. It would be interesting to see how other pallytanks have dealt with BS vs. JC. Maybe you even went a whole other way entirely for earning your gear/money/stuff in general. In any event, feel free to throw in your 2 copper.
PizzaOfHut

Postby Maulininis » Thu May 17, 2007 3:10 am

I just mine and herb, and have guildies make my consumables and blacksmithing stuff without a bother. muahahahah.
Maulininis

Postby Shai » Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 am

I went JC. I think overall I could have profited a lot more if I had went blacksmithing and got some good patterns but it's mainly because I usually don't advertise gemcuts and only do the occasional cut for money, whereas with blacksmithing if you can make something hot and actually have the nether's you can sell it in ah or people will come and ask for crafts. Well, you can sell gems on ah too, but there's so many cuts that's harder to get the right ones up at the right time, and you still need to get the mats yourself. If you have the patience to advertise on trade channel a lot and put stuff up on ah, I'm sure you can still make a decent profit.

Overall I enjoy the trinkets I got from JC, even tho I don't really use Dawnstone Crab anymore except when tanking normal 5man with holy spec occasionally. Living Ruby Serpent is nice for pushing up your hp if you don't have access to the engineering trinkets or the Nethwing rep trinket next patch. Also Talasite Owl is extremely hot if you ever have to heal anything, basically with the use the use option every time it's up you'll gain a minimum of 29 mp5, and it's also a nice temporary boost if you are going low on mana. Also Felsteel Boar is quite decent if you ever melee farm as opposed to just aeing stuff. From BS I could have gotten a really nice melee weapon, but I could get almost as good one from raiding anyway so wasn't so big.

I got my Bracers of the Green Fortress crafted by a guildie, also if there's any other crafted stuff there's usually somebody who can do, and you only need it once anyway. With jewelcrafting every time you upgrade your gear at all, you'll have to get new jewels and enchants so if you can make the jewels needed yourself it always cuts down on the time spend hunting for crafters since at least on my server there's still a lot of enchanters around and slightly less JC. My other profession currently is herbalism for farming those nasty pots, I don't have mining which for me lessens the value of JC somewhat since I need to aquire the mats when I want to do something. I guess it should level up an alt with mining soon. Anyway I don't really regret picking up JC, tho with next patch engineering could be also very nice.
Shai

Postby Mavrix » Thu May 17, 2007 4:49 am

With the changes coming in the next patch, engineering actually looks like a reasonable choice.
Looking at Lore and some other pally tanks who are enchanters, I envy their enchants to rings. So definitely enchanting isn't a bad way to go either.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Lore » Thu May 17, 2007 7:11 am

I love me my ring enchants :D Can't wait to start on Hyjal, +6 all stats is gonna be nice.

Also note that, with Vambraces of Courage no longer warrior-only in 2.1, Bracers of the Green Fortress aren't the only (or best) option anymore, particularly since they drop off Attumen.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Thu May 17, 2007 8:12 am

Yeah, if you're actually interested in making your own gear, then go Engineering. That helm you can make owns the other helms. And 90 Stamina from trinkets ain't bad if you need a lot of stamina for a certain fight.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Alixander » Thu May 17, 2007 8:14 am

Lore wrote:Also note that, with Vambraces of Courage no longer warrior-only in 2.1, Bracers of the Green Fortress aren't the only (or best) option anymore, particularly since they drop off Attumen.
Holy cow. Are you serious? :shock: That's awesome.

As for on the subject, I recently changed to JC from BS, and I did so right after deciding I really like tanking as a Paladin, but before I really got into the deep mechanics of tanking, so I didn't realize the value of some of the crafted items a Blacksmith can make. But on the flip side of the equation, one could easily justify that if you have a sufficiently high level BS in your guild or on your friends list, you can probably have any good tanking item crafted for you without any serious gouging. The BoP items from BS (save for the Heavy Earthforged Breastplate) aren't particularly good for tanks. But, as Shai mentioned, the BoP trinkets for JC are quite good, and only you can have them. Also, I completely agree with Shai's assessment about replacing jewels, which can be a huge pain. Not having to pay through the nose each time you upgrade, makes it worthwhile.
Alixander

Postby Joanadark » Thu May 17, 2007 8:14 am

of course, the goggles and the one trinket are literally all that engineering has to offer....

I'm macesmith for thunder, and I'm not even ret, but unless I wanted to go for herbalism or enchanting or something, there isnt a whole lot of option.
Joanadark

Return to General