Two questions!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Promdates » Mon May 14, 2007 6:13 pm

well yeah, if you're using SoV, reck isn't the best choice to go with. You don't get extra threat from the procs (unless it magically double procs SoV on the mob, which can and does happen occasionally).

granted, I never bothered to grab imp devo since I'm always running with a holy paladin and they take it. Imp Devo+Reck aura is some good.
Promdates

Postby Jensaarai » Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 am

Wow...that is something to think about...I don't like the idea of giving up Reckoning :( I'll be thinking about this.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 15, 2007 9:20 am

Aergis wrote:Weapon expertise is something i've been debating in my head for a while now. Thinking that the patch is coming tomorrow and I need to respec anyway to free up 2 points for HS, I decided to test this finally.

I'll make a more detailed post later when i can actually get to the SS's, but I proved the euro CM was right, even though everyone thinks they missplaced a decimal... And my final conclusion is that 5/5 WE and 3/3 precision will remain in my build indefinately, unless they nerf SoV.

Do you regularly use SoV? I can't get a 5 stack on a level 67 to stay with much regularity, much less a level 73 boss. We seem to be using the same weapon, so I'm curious how you manage to get it to stack on a boss.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby jere » Tue May 15, 2007 10:45 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Aergis wrote:Weapon expertise is something i've been debating in my head for a while now. Thinking that the patch is coming tomorrow and I need to respec anyway to free up 2 points for HS, I decided to test this finally.

I'll make a more detailed post later when i can actually get to the SS's, but I proved the euro CM was right, even though everyone thinks they missplaced a decimal... And my final conclusion is that 5/5 WE and 3/3 precision will remain in my build indefinately, unless they nerf SoV.

Do you regularly use SoV? I can't get a 5 stack on a level 67 to stay with much regularity, much less a level 73 boss. We seem to be using the same weapon, so I'm curious how you manage to get it to stack on a boss.

I use it often in Karazan on some of the bosses. The curator is a great example of a boss that SoV works well on (especially when I am judging on an evocate :) ).

I use it on Midnight, Moroes, the curator, the BBW, Romulo, Julianne, The crone, the scarecrow, etc.

The bosses I don't use it on are Attuneman (the %hit curse), the Maiden (hard enough keeping a SoR cycle in that one), Roar (I never take the chance on breaking the fear), the Tinman (I am kiting him anyways), etc.

I usually don't have a problem losing the stack, even on bosses. It does drop occasionally, but not often and honestly a 3 stack generates more dmg/threat than Righteous does for me, so even if I do lose it occasionally, I still end up doing more threat in the long run on average.

I also use it when I OT, as it generates the largest amount of threat for me and I don't have to worry about the lack of burst threat in those situations.
jere

Postby Aergis » Tue May 15, 2007 12:22 pm

I never use it currently, for the same reasons you stated. While testing the value of WE and precision in regards to SoV though, I was testing it on lvl 71-73 non-elites. Without either talent, SoV stacks would fall off 3 to rarely 4 times per fight, even on the lvl 71's. After I put 3/3 precision, it would fall off about once on the lvl 71's, 2 and rarely 3 times on the lvl 73's. After I added 5/5 WE, it fell off about once per fight on all levels, on one 73 it didnt fall off at all.

There was no real way to track swings per proc with mods like procwatch, since after it stacks to 5 there's no combat message like "Mob x is afflicted by Holy Vengance ( 5 )". It displays that for the first 5 stacks, but when it's reapplied after 5 it simply doesn't say anything. I can track when the stack falls off though, because it says "Holy Vengance fades from mob x."
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Ah, crap, I just accidentially deleted my post. Anyhow it was something like this. According to the parsed log of our last curator kill, I had a 26.9% miss rate and a 21.4% resist rate. I had 8 Reckoning procs and 38 (odd) extra attacks from Reckoning. With that type of miss/resist rate, I would not be able to keep up a stack of even 3 reliably. I have the precision talent and I use the Continuum Blade which has a small amount of +Spell Hit.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby jere » Tue May 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Ah, crap, I just accidentially deleted my post. Anyhow it was something like this. According to the parsed log of our last curator kill, I had a 26.9% miss rate and a 21.4% resist rate. I had 8 Reckoning procs and 38 (odd) extra attacks from Reckoning. With that type of miss/resist rate, I would not be able to keep up a stack of even 3 reliably. I have the precision talent and I use the Continuum Blade which has a small amount of +Spell Hit.

Yeah, I have precision and the continuum blade as well, but so far (knock on wood), I have never lost a SoV stack off the curator, but I have had pretty good luck on him so far.

I have lost the stack on other bosses though.
jere

Previous

Return to General