Remove Advertisements

Two questions!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Two questions!

Postby Loladin » Sat May 12, 2007 3:33 am

1) Anyone have a guess for when the patch is coming out? -- I see the downloader is doing something, but it's extremely slow.

2) Anyone care to check out my armory and see how my gear is for specifically Kara? After 2.1, I'm gonna try to respec my violet ring to the tanking one and I'll gain a little HP there, so I know I have huge HP issues.

Meeee:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#char ... n=Trannyth
Loladin

Postby Arcand » Sat May 12, 2007 1:36 pm

As of Saturday 2:30, it's showing you in your healing gear.
Arcand

Postby Loladin » Sat May 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Arcand wrote:As of Saturday 2:30, it's showing you in your healing gear.

I got tired of people looking at the thread and not replying. <3

But yeah, my mistake, actually. I'm logged out in tank gear now.
Loladin

Postby Promdates » Sat May 12, 2007 5:22 pm

your gear is fine from the looks of it. it says you're 10 short of getting the 490 defense, but you have 0/5 for anticipation, so that will clearly change.

are you planning on going the 0/49/12 route? i'm just about to drop the guardians favor for imp HS next patch. although, the continual discussion on the EJ forums about weapon expertise is a little inticing, although you'd have to take 3 out of precision.
Promdates

Postby Loladin » Sat May 12, 2007 5:35 pm

I might make the 490 requirement post-2.1 without Anticipation -- but I doubt that. I'll probably be dropping my defense rating trinket for Moroes' dodge one as soon as I get it.

I plan on going 51/10 after 2.1... but I'm not getting Weapon Expertise. I might not even get Precision.

So yeah, how about that 2.1?
Loladin

Postby Egomantle » Sun May 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Does anyone have a link for the post 2.1 talent trees?

My feeble brain struggles when I can't see all the actual tree.
Egomantle

Postby Lore » Sun May 13, 2007 7:11 pm

It's 100% identical, just reserve 2 points for improved Holy Shield (which is directly to the left of Holy Shield)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Egomantle » Sun May 13, 2007 9:39 pm

oh... thanks, Lore.

I thought there was a change coming to 1 hand spec as well?
Egomantle

Postby Everlight » Sun May 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Egomantle wrote:oh... thanks, Lore.

I thought there was a change coming to 1 hand spec as well?

There's changes, but only one talent being added. 1H Spec is being changed to 5% increase to all damage when you have a 1H weapon wielded.
Everlight

Postby Alixander » Mon May 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Promdates wrote:although, the continual discussion on the EJ forums about weapon expertise is a little inticing, although you'd have to take 3 out of precision.
A little late, but I usually only do a lot of forum surfing during the working hours (too busy playing while I'm at home. ^^; ). Could someone summarize what this is about? I've heard about nothing but bad things about Weapon Skill. Being that I previously have only played a mage, my knowledge of melee game mechanics leaves something to be desired.
Alixander

Postby Jensaarai » Mon May 14, 2007 3:26 pm

I read something today that 4 points of weapon skill decreases the chance, among other things, that a mob will parry your attack by something like 2.8%.

This was in a warrior thread, mind you, and I think they were happy about it in regards to threat output.

For us, I think weapon skill still blows.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Promdates » Mon May 14, 2007 4:48 pm

I just spent about 10 minutes trying to find this post..

Post #697 on [Paladin] MTanking viability thread

Here's your build with 3/5 WE instead of Precision. In exchange for +3% hit, you gain +1.2% hit, -1.2% to be dodged, and -3.6% to be parried for total of +6% effective hit. That's in addition to 1-2% overall damage reduction (your estimate, not mine).

apparently, a European CM said here

I wouldn't say it's useless.

Let's say you increase your weapon skill by 4.

Against a mob 3 levels higher than you, you get: 0.8% lower chance to miss, 0,4% lower chance to get dodged, 2,4% to be parried, and a 0,8% higher chance to crit. That means a 4,8% net increase.

basically, it means this:

Ten points of weapon skill should be (if I'm remembering everything correctly):
-0.4% chance to miss
-0.4% chance to be dodged
-0.4% chance to be parried (if the mob can parry)
-0.4% chance to be blocked (if the mob can block)
+1.0% chance to crit against higher level mobs (?)

If it's a mob that can parry but not block (typical dual-wielder, I think?), then you're looking at +1.2% "to hit" and +1% to crit, which gives you a 2.2% increase in white-damage threat and a 1.2% increase in SoR threat.

The drop in damage from reduced parries is hard to exactly quantify, but it's going to be pretty small. The parry rate should drop from 5.6% to 5.2% for a level 73 mob. Even if the effect of a parry was an immediate counterattack (which it isn't) that would still be a very small gain.

Sorry about all the quotes and links, but I didn't want to take credit for it, and it would be much easier to just copy/paste the info that they've been discussing for months now. I added links to said posts, so that you could see generally what was being said before and after it.
Promdates

Postby Aergis » Mon May 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Weapon expertise is something i've been debating in my head for a while now. Thinking that the patch is coming tomorrow and I need to respec anyway to free up 2 points for HS, I decided to test this finally.

I'll make a more detailed post later when i can actually get to the SS's, but I proved the euro CM was right, even though everyone thinks they missplaced a decimal... And my final conclusion is that 5/5 WE and 3/3 precision will remain in my build indefinately, unless they nerf SoV.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Promdates » Mon May 14, 2007 5:13 pm

what are you taking out for the 5/5 and 3/3, AND 2/2 imp HS? there has to be stuff you're dropping... unless you're droping 1h and reck.
Promdates

Postby Aergis » Mon May 14, 2007 5:25 pm

Previously I had imp devo and redoubt. The extra 340 armor isn't horrible, adds about 0.4% straight damage reduction at 15,000 armor, but I didn't have precision.

I dropped reckoning, which may or may not be the best idea. Could pull 2 points from spell warding and 2 from imp judgement to get 4/5 reck, but I'll decide that later. Too much math to think atm 8% chance to double attack 4 times vs 2 seconds on each and every judgement.

I do think reck vs. weapon expertise is worth it though, considering the changes to SoV and spell damage, and if you're running with SoV, reckoning doesn't help much once it's stacked to 5 unless it falls off, which is what I'm trying to avoid with WE.

The reduced chance of the boss parrying and getting a haste bonus is beneficial as well, but I wouldn't think that was worth it alone.
Aergis
Site Admin

Next

Return to General