Remove Advertisements

Welcome

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Alethia » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Hello all,

Just thought I'll introduce myself a bit.. ^_^

My tankadin is currently residing on the Twisting Nether, US server, serving the guild <Ordo Letalis>. She's actually my 2nd toon, an "alt" as many others would see it. But I always see her as my 2nd main, so that would be a more accurate description. :D (My main is a BE mage, yes, my toons are all BEs cos I like to look pretty =P)

Rolled a tankadin cos I was in awe of the then-maintankadin in my guild. Saw him tanked Moroes & friends without any cc, and was like "Wow! I need to learn how to do that!" Levelled from 1-70 (10-70 if you wanna be politically correct), Prot spec all the way!~ :P Loved it, and still loving it!~

I know I'm not the first one, but I'd just like to mention, that I'm a female tankadin, or to add a bit more to the exoticism, I'm a female tank, from Singapore, lolz :wink: Have been 70 for a few months now, but have so far been doing mostly Heroics & Karazhan. Starting to do ZAs now, and recently have been fortunate enough to be allowed to MT Gruuls on our off-nights. :P Would really love to see TK/SSC on my tankadin before Wrath hits... ^_^

Ultimate Goal:
To be the first female tank on my server to tank Arthas in WotLK! :P

Have been trolling this forum everyday since I chanced upon it while look for more info/ways to improve myself, and absolutely love this site!~ ^_^
Alethia

Postby Calinaas » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 am

Hello! New Tankadin here - I guess :)

Thanks for putting up and maintaining this forum! It's hard to find stuff that's not blocked from work~ ;)

So without doubt, I'll haunt this place frequently.

Just rolled a Paladin last night, actually. I'm not terribly new to WoW, but have had some off and on play times along with indecisiveness on which class to bother taking to 70.

Just a mere level 13 Human - Emerald Dream (US) Server.

Have a Warrior around 35, but the wife plays too - think she got a bit burnt on priest and rolled up a Rogue - thought a Paladin would be a good choice. In looking over all the specs, I think Protection might serve me best overall. Not sure if it's the best for leveling, but with someone backstabbing just about everything we encounter, I thought Protection would be best.

I'm not so much into 'cookie cutter' specs, and tend to like to go against the grain sometimes. Guess I can be stubborn with some stuff - like a spec, I may end up going with it regardless of conventional wisdom - but I haven't done a lot of reading up on Pally's - so we'll see anyway!

Well Met, in any event!
Calinaas

Postby guillex » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:21 am

Calinaas wrote:Hello! New Tankadin here - I guess :)

Thanks for putting up and maintaining this forum! It's hard to find stuff that's not blocked from work~ ;)

Gotta hate webfilters, eh?

Calinaas wrote:So without doubt, I'll haunt this place frequently.

Just rolled a Paladin last night, actually. I'm not terribly new to WoW, but have had some off and on play times along with indecisiveness on which class to bother taking to 70.

Good to know we have another spook! :D

Calinaas wrote:Just a mere level 13 Human - Emerald Dream (US) Server.

Have a Warrior around 35, but the wife plays too - think she got a bit burnt on priest and rolled up a Rogue - thought a Paladin would be a good choice. In looking over all the specs, I think Protection might serve me best overall. Not sure if it's the best for leveling, but with someone backstabbing just about everything we encounter, I thought Protection would be best.

I'm not so much into 'cookie cutter' specs, and tend to like to go against the grain sometimes. Guess I can be stubborn with some stuff - like a spec, I may end up going with it regardless of conventional wisdom - but I haven't done a lot of reading up on Pally's - so we'll see anyway!

Well Met, in any event!

Usually, people will level ret until the early 40's, when Holy Shield and AoE grinding becomes quite viable. Seeing as you have a leveling partner, though, prot from 10 might make sense, so that you get to know all of the ropes.

When playing protection, though, straying from "conventional" builds can sometimes work against you. It all depends on what you're going to be doing with your toon, but for the most part, going off the beaten path means you're either gimping yourself, or your party, in some way.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with experimenting, for sure! Hope you grow to love your pally, we all have!

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Calinaas » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 am

Guillex wrote:When playing protection, though, straying from "conventional" builds can sometimes work against you. It all depends on what you're going to be doing with your toon, but for the most part, going off the beaten path means you're either gimping yourself, or your party, in some way.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with experimenting, for sure! Hope you grow to love your pally, we all have!

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay

After an hour of so of reading here - particularly the Basic Training stickies - I'd say I have to agree here with the Paladin. Paladin seems a bit different in this regard to other classes. Some other classes seem a bit more open in the 'unconventional spec' flexibility, but the Paladin seems to have some *really* so/so talents and some real strong ones, particularly in protection.

I may look into the other trees as well - but one of the things I find that helps me tremendously in the long run is to start playing a class from the start in tune with end-game expectations right from the start. That way - I'm not re-learning the whole class later in the game and have a real good grasp on the abilities of that spec - particularly as they scale up in level. I kinda figured Protection was the harder to learn spec - as healing is almost self explanatory as well as retribution - not to lessen those specs by any means whatsoever - but they seemed (at least for now) to be more straightforward in play style.

Still have quite a number of questions, but I'll dig around and see what I can find.

I must admit - I tried a Paladin for a very short time prior to now, and seemed to loose interest somewhat quickly - but after reading here a bit, I've been enlightened to a good chunk of info about how badly I was playing the pally before - so we'll see ;)
Calinaas

Postby aranil » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Hey, my name Aranil, and I'm a masochist-uh I mean Tankadin. I originally created this belf cause AoE grinding seemed fun, then I kinda started enjoying the experience, that, and it's loads easier then feral/warrior tanking.

I tend to heal and ret a lot too, but I'm a huge fan of the 0/49/12 spec, although I'm still grinding my up though gruuls, so reckoning is is still useful. I've been floating around these forums for a while, Invisusira's warrior vs paladin video leading me here....

Thanks for the awesome site, it's been a big help so far, and looks to just get better
aranil

Postby Aldonza » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:49 am

I just wanted to officially sign up and pop in to say hello, and more importatntly to say thanks to all the wonderful advise that I have found here.

I never expected to roll Prot with my Paladin. I was going forth the idea that I would be a mini heal bot. I've got a 70 Priest so I know the healing game, and I just wanted to change it up a bit. However, after speccing for healing after getting to Outlands, and then between the shortage of tanks and the severe shortage of skilled tanks, I decided to read up about Prot and try something new.

It's an entirely new game for me now, and I'm having quite a bit of fun just grabbing mobs and going to town. I think I've spent more time leveling in instances over the past week or so than I have questing. I wouldn't have had the nerve to try it if I hadn't taken the time to read all the great tips that people had here. So thanks again!
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

Postby Bubblebytch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:03 pm

hey i have been using the forums for a long time and decided to join up, i have a level 70 prot pally on Jubei'thos called Bubblebytch. as well a as lvl 70 lock and druid and low lvl toons. im always up for some fun and love to tank, think it funny as im female and some guys seem to find it hard that you have a tank toon and that you are kickking ass in an instance...the joy of wow...
yes im a female irl :) and i love to tank
Bubblebytch

Postby Rhaegon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:53 am

Hello guys!

i'm reading this forum for more than a year now and i found it very usefull...so now it's my time to join u :D

i play tankadin in an european realm named Aszune... i specced prot at 51 lvl and i never came back...
sadly i'm not in an end game guild and we are currently 4/5 MH and 5/9 BT

keep up the good work with this forum :D:D

see you around the threads

Rhaegon
Rhaegon

Postby Chootrain » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Hey everyone, just turned to tanking after lvling up to 70 as a retribution paladin. Looking forward to learning a lot from the pros around here. :)
Chootrain

Postby Veneretio » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Hey everyone,

I must be insane to be posting here. For those of you that may already know me, Yes... it's Vene from TankingTips.com

For those of you who don't, well let's just say I'm a Prot Warrior. I'm a Raid Leader, Main Tank. I've used both a Retribution Paladin and a Protection Paladin in my raids consistently for a long time. (the ret pally is gone though, he wanted to see Sunwell and we aren't there)

I represent someone that thinks of you like much of the general populace and I know many of you will hate me for that, but above all I'm here to learn for myself and to take back information to my fellow guildmates that are Prot Pallys.
www.tankingtips.com - for warriors (yup, I have no idea why I'm here either)
Veneretio

Postby Ruex » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Don't worry, We won't burn ya just because you still believe in Caloric theory.

Postby Darkauras » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:53 am

Just found this forum. And to be honest it was exactly the thing I was looking for considering I have two lvl 70's (hpriest and enh shaman). Just started my pally and she is at 18 now. So, hello everyone!
Darkauras

Postby Perceptor » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:01 am

I've been a tankadin since I started levelling this toon and I've been really enjoying it. I'm level 64 currently in Outlands and I've successfully tanked Ramps, BF, Underbog, and Slave Pens. It's nice not having to worry about buying gear since the drops are pretty good.

I'm looking forward to being on this site and learning a lot from the tanks that have been around for end game stuff
Perceptor

Postby Kytarra » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:58 pm

hello all,

Been lurking around MT for along time now. Finally decided to sign up. This site has been an insparation to me and my tanking endevours.

Thank you all so much.

Kytarra
Kytarra

Postby Safiya » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Fantastic site and community, thanks for making a place like this. Been lurking for months, finally registered.
Astara - 70 Prot Pally - Exodus Server (its an emu, dont hate me)
Safiya

PreviousNext

Return to General