Is it viable to level as Protection?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Is it viable to level as Protection?

Postby DisRuptive1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:40 pm

I want to level and quest efficiently but apparently you can really only devote yourself to one spec or you'll gimp yourself.
DisRuptive1

Re: Is it viable to level as Protection?

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Might be a little slower damage-wise, but you should be able to AoE tank mobs (which ought to balance it out.) At least, I don't see any reason this shouldn't work.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenris » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:50 am

I was 110 the day after launch,so i'd say leveling speed isnt exactly a problem
All the character profile site keep going down,so i could as well not place anything here
Fenris

Postby degre » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:53 am

Leveling Protection I was 110 on Sunday.

I took my time as I have spent as usual some time exploring and generally getting lost for the sake of being curious, also, I don't really play as much any more and I was out all weekend to a bike rally, all in all, I was honestly surprised when I dinged 110, I think it has been shortened quite a bit.

Also, you can level as retri and set your drops to prot, I just wouldn't do it because levelling as retri would feel like a chore whereas I like prot.

Also, if you level retri, remember to store the AP items to use with the Prot artifact.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 am

Saving all the artifact power items is a pain in the ass, I did it for two days (because I wasn't sure how scaling from Knowledge worked) and lost 3 bags of space. Wouldn't want to try doing it for the full levelling run.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 pm

You can dump artifact power into your offspec while leveling without any problems. The first thirteen traits cost as much as the fourteenth trait alone, and you won't get to thirteen before you go to Suramar at 110.

Later you can add even more offspec trait without any noticeable loss for your mainspec, but thirteen traits in the second spec happens a few hours after you get thirteen in the first spec.
Paxen

Postby Lev » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:21 pm

I leveled as prot and did not feel any issues. Due to good gear on level 100 i did pretty ok in dps terms on the first 5 levels. Later it got a little slower, but it wasnt painful at all, since aoe down 5 mobs at once should still be faster than single targeting down 5 as ret or even holy.
Also it is nice to know, that "you cannot die", at least it is not easy to die as prot.

And ofc... if you are member of this Forum, YOU DO IT FOR THE HONOR! :)
Lev

Return to General