Blizzard shuts down very popular Vanilla Server

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Blizzard shuts down very popular Vanilla Server

Postby Dion » Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Passionario wrote:The words "Mark Kern" and "relevant" don't belong in the same sentence.

The lead designer of Vanilla WoW was Jeffrey Kaplan (Tigole). Mark Kern was a team lead - basically, a middle manager - in the art department, working under Samwise.

He said that he hired/started archivist department in Blizzard and that doesn't exactly sound like art departments job. While it's possible that he simply lies and takes credit from someone elses work, I'm prone to think that they had less rigid job description and far less hierachical structure at that time. You are right about lead designer being Kaplan.
Passionario wrote:Midway through TBC development Kern left with a few others to go start a new company, which he mismanaged so badly that the board ousted him as CEO. He also holds a significant grudge against the gaming press because of the coverage given to the aforementioned mismanagement/ouster, which of course means that now he's a GamerGater and tilts at windmills on Twitter.

GamerGater brand has stigmata of hating women generally, and I'm not convinced that Mark Kern hates women, gaming media yes and generally media. Not wise thing generally do in business to be so openly against media who writes about your products and on whos site/paper product advertisements are put.
Passionario wrote:And, apparently, he's an unironic Trump supporter as well.

This just plainly stupid thing to bring up. If you support/do not support Putin, it has no effect how good lawyer you are, nor what kind of person you are. Your otherpoints were tied to his profession, this is not. It's about person. Are you really saying that we should judge persons political views? Skin color? Religion?
Passionario wrote:While I realize that he's just trying to interject himself into this argument in an attempt to draw attention, his endorsement does not exactly make me more sympathetic to that cause.

And that's fine. I had never heard of the guy before Nostalrius became news. But do take note that that guy now has appointment with Mike Morhaine. It's unclear is it because or despite that it's Mark Kern but fact is that they are going to meet. And I'm extremely curious does Nostalrius crew get to meet him or other big names.

On different note though! I'm curious on your opinnion is it easy to Blizzard to have private servers shutdown in Russia, because Russia is said to be "safe" place to host those. I think it's possible that they could be shutdown but with significant troubles.
Dion

Re: Blizzard shuts down very popular Vanilla Server

Postby Passionario » Wed May 04, 2016 6:25 am

I propose that we take the political derail to the Politics thread in the Asylum.
Dion wrote:On different note though! I'm curious on your opinnion is it easy to Blizzard to have private servers shutdown in Russia, because Russia is said to be "safe" place to host those. I think it's possible that they could be shutdown but with significant troubles.

Speaking of words that should not be used in the same sentence, "Russia" and "safe place" definitely qualify. :) It really depends on the particulars of the operation, though.

If it's a small-scale server hosted by a 3rd party, a strongly worded C&D letter to the hosting provider will suffice (few, if any, operators are willing to risk their license for the sake of one dubious client), but then the pirates can just reopen it elsewhere the next week. If they have their own datacenter, then Blizzard can, at best, get ISPs to block access to it from within Russia (but foreign players and those with VPNs/proxies would still be able to play). However, that would require the pirates to leave a paper trail (license for communications services, registering as a company or entrepreneur, etc.), making them easy targets in case Blizzard decides to sue for damages incurred by copyright infringement. And, of course, should the pirates decide to run their own datacenter and *not* leave a paper trail, a single tip-off to the authorities will land them in a world of hurt (or, more specifically, a ton of fines).

As far as I know, most private servers fall in the first category, so they get opened and shut down on a fairly regular basis.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Previous

Return to General