First time back since 2009

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

First time back since 2009

Postby Maswin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:41 am

I quit playing before Cataclysm came out, missed MoP and have returned for WoD.

My question is around my professions and how limited I am with them in WoD. I've switched sever, so only have my main - paladin with BS/JC, which was boosted to 90 with WoD. My alt has mining, but is level 80 and on another server.

To do anything useful with my professions:
- is it going to cost me a fortune on the AH buying ore?
- Or is it easy to level mining, considering I've never been to CC/MoP? And should I drop BS or JC?
- Is it easy to level my 80 up to WoD (I heard CC isn't all that fun)?

I kind of thought I could get my Garrison to 'gather' ores for me, but I think I've misinterpreted something along the way.
Maswin

Re: First time back since 2009

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:52 am

Some facts you might want to know.

There's a mine and a herb garden in your garrison which provide you with many (50-60+) resources without needing to have the gathering skill (plus a optional building dedicated to skinning).
Also, you don't need to do the crafts with old material to level up. After a few quests in Frostfire / Shadowmoon you will drop a key item that will allow you to learn the 700 capp skill regardless of your current skill level, teach you some basic recipes, and allow you to buy more recipes from your garrison's shop which also don't require any skill level to be learned. You can from there train even from 1 to 700 with WoD materials (which are super cheap due to massive availability in garrison).

Leveling is *extremely* easy up to WoD. You will be 1shotting most mobs and istances will be easy and provide tons of experience as well.

CC is pretty much a PvP only thing now: none of the istances require CC outside of Challenge Mode and are tuned for 0 CC groups, plus most tanks will break any sort of CC with their AoE anyway.

Good luck leveling and hope that will help. But bare in mind, the game is basically totally a different game from what it was in Wotlk
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:34 am

What Worldie said. There's a quest in the first Draenor zone (Shadowmoon or Frostfire) with a mob that's guaranteed to drop a quest item; the quest rewards you with a scroll that teaches you the 700 skill cap and basic recipes from Draenor, for crafting professions. Gathering professions get their scroll when they use their skill. If you miss those, you can buy them for 100g (iirc) from recipe vendors in garrison buildings or in the faction hub on Ashran.

First Aid and Cooking scrolls drop from mobs randomly.

The 700 skill cap requires no prior use of the profession, and no Draenor recipes have skill requirements. Gathering professions have not had skill requirements for some time, however at low skill you'll not get as much material out of gathering as you would at the correct level (my Monk has low Skinning, and gets only leather scraps, 10 of which makes a full leather).

The only real advantage to reaching a full 700 skill in WoD is that the important crafting cooldowns improve as you skill up.
KysenMurrin

Postby Maswin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:03 am

Brill thanks peeps, I didn't realise there would be an actual mining/herb resource in the garrison for professions so that alleviates some concern.

I've already got to 92 so I've picked up the scrolls you mention (and have already built the blacksmith forge in my garrison).

I'm trying to keep things casual so didn't particularly want to level my alt back up, but will see how it transpires as I play - seems like i should be ok with just the one char.

Was really hoping I could just avoid CC - I did a few hours in the first underwater zone and became completely put off by it.
Maswin

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:26 am

I'll note that in my experience the Herb Garden doesn't entirely satisfy - you get your daily batch of herbs, but (at rank 1 and 2 at least) you don't receive enough Draenic Seeds to keep work orders going. Herbalists will be able to solve this with herbing outside the garrison. This may even be intended - Blizzard seem to have admitted the mine was producing more material than intended.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 am

The underwater Vashjir area is a bit overwheling at the start, there's many mobs toghether and close so it's easy to overpull. that changes considerably later on though.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Maswin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I'll note that in my experience the Herb Garden doesn't entirely satisfy - you get your daily batch of herbs, but (at rank 1 and 2 at least) you don't receive enough Draenic Seeds to keep work orders going. Herbalists will be able to solve this with herbing outside the garrison. This may even be intended - Blizzard seem to have admitted the mine was producing more material than intended.

Well either way, i'll look at levelling my alt that it'll give me an excuse to play through the other expansions somewhat, with the benefit that I can eventually mine for the main.

Cheers for the advice!
Maswin

Postby Kai » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:57 pm

i'd skip vashj. in general cataclysm leveling is pretty well done. but not that underwater zone, at least I hated it. just go to mount hyjal or whatever the other zone is called, you are supposed to only do one of them anyway or you will be way, way ahead of the leveling curve.
Kai

Postby Maswin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:46 am

Kai wrote:i'd skip vashj. in general cataclysm leveling is pretty well done. but not that underwater zone, at least I hated it. just go to mount hyjal or whatever the other zone is called, you are supposed to only do one of them anyway or you will be way, way ahead of the leveling curve.

Awesome thanks, love an answer to an unknown unknown. I thought it had to be vashj, never knew about Mount Hyjal....seems a much nicer zone, Vashj was driving me nuts!
Maswin

Postby Gracerath » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 am

I feel like maybe I'm the only person in all of WoW that loved vashjr. The swimming was annoying as melee but I'll be damned if it isn't a really interesting zone. Towards the later half when you're questing in one of the deep caves and everything is lit only from bioluminescence is damned cool.

One thing that is total butts though is that the seahorse is only useable in that zone. I wish they'd allow it to just be an underwater mount anywhere :(
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:45 am

You are not alone, I also really like vashjir and almost always do it while leveling :)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:33 am

Keep in mind you can only mail BoA items between characters on different servers. Unless you plan on migrating your alt to the same server as your main, your alt will not be able to farm for your main (unless they're on the same coalesced realm group, in which case they're practically on the same realm).

That said, your mine provides plenty of ores. It overproduced, and will likely produce a little less, but unless you are in a serious need to deck yourself out in the best craftable items like yesterday, your mine will support you and there is zero need to gather resources yourself.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to General