How is soloing old content after the stat squish?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

How is soloing old content after the stat squish?

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 am

Just curious. I have had fleeting thoughts about maybe returning from time to time, and with the stat squish, and then the "we'll make sure you can still do that" response, I was just curious.

Did they retain the ability to solo old stuff?
Shoju

Re: How is soloing old content after the stat squish?

Postby honorshammer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 am

If anything it is actually easier than before.
honorshammer

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 am

With some patience and a bit of gear, you can solo everything. There is a hidden buff in content 5 or more levels lower than you that extremely reduces damage intake and amplifies damage done.

I've now took the habit to solo Firelands 10, ICC 25 hc and Yogg 25 +0 DS 10 up to Ultraxion every week for mounts.

You take very very little damage from enemyes, while their damage taken is greatly increased (I killed Alysrazor 10 last time in before she lift off). You still have to... be creative with certain mechanics to solo certain encounters, but it gets quite fun in the process (es, you cant let a pet tank Baleroc, it ends very painfully). Also all vehicle encounters now scale with ilvls, so you finish gunship in ICC before the battle even starts.
I've heard of people with certain classes and very solid gear soloing even 25 heroic of level 85, but I can't confirm for this.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Amirya » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:55 am

I've been mostly 2-manning things with my roommate, and a lot of stuff seems very doable. 25 ICC heroic is 3 man easy (we did it with 4 because the fourth wanted to come along and get the Light of Dawn title with my other two companions). 10 Firelands is easy, except when your rogue does dumb shit (like insist on dealing with Beth'tilac alone upstairs, and then dying with her stuck up there). Uldar 25 is soloable. ICC is, since Valithria can be skipped for non-healers. Haven't done much else, but I should think so.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shamora » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 am

You see in patch notes where they have adjusted older stuff that was hitting too hard or so on. So while somethings might be a bit iffy atm, they seem to be trying to get it all back to the status quo as they find bumps in the road.

As an example my friend occasionally runs Ulduar for the heroic mount and he has about the same trouble now as he did before the patch with two differences. One, vehicles that scale seem to still scale to the old stats, but the bosses are squished so they are super trivial, aka Flame Levi and Maly. Two, Thorim is solo friendly now and doesn't require you to jump through hoops to avoid resetting him while solo.
Hearthstone Arena Stats - (Old) 2014
Server: PVP US Barthilas, Horde - <Tribo>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 100 Combat/Subtlety Rogue
Server: PVE US Nagrand/Caelestrasz, Alliance - <Chivalry>
Main: Crusader Shamora, Lvl 100 Protection Paladin
Shamora

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:04 am

All of U25 is soloable even on hard modes if you got the dps for it. Even Mimiron.
Sadly, Algalon will reset if you are solo and get 4 stacks of his debuff (which will phase you) which is annoying as I only have enough DPs to bring him to like 30% before he resets in 25.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 am

Ok, well then my old stand by would still be there for me if I did come back. I'm just not sure that I want to dive back in. WoD leaves me sort of excited, because I did greatly enjoy TBC< and this seems like an... "homage" of sorts? I don't know. There are still so many other parts of the game that I don't care for, and things that I would have to read so I'm up to date on, And then there is slogging 15 levels to get to cap, and I'm just not sure it would captivate me enough to matter. It hasn't excited me to the point where I'm jumping up and down frothing at the mouth wanting to come back, I just miss gaming with my friends.

Plus, I'd have to level multiple characters, since my Main has dual crafting professions.... Ugh. That would suck.*ANd I'm broke. I gave away all (most) of my gold.
Shoju

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:21 am

Aside of nostalgia and occasional NPCs, there's absolutely nothing in Draenor that relates to TBC. No gameplay, no PvP areas, no raids, nothing.

So if you want to come back for Nostalgia, you are better staying off.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Quick question: Is there a mechanic or trick I'm missing on Yogg? I've soloed that on 10 the last couple weeks (looking for mog gear), and on the first phase of Yogg I'm getting hit repeatedly for 9% sanity chunks. I'm down to like 20%-30% sanity by the time the portals open, which makes it really, really tight at the end. Don't particularly want to try it on 25-man until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I wasn't playing during LK, so I don't know the encounter other then the times I'd 2-manned it before the last patch.
... the fact that more potential voters are swayed by a few trivial comments 10 years ago than a candidate literally collapsing is not a good sign and tends to indicate that even if Trump wins, it won't matter.

No electorate that stupid is going to survive long, one way or another.
Jabari

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 pm

It's a mechanic that's in the encounter. It's a random bolt that cuts 9% sanity and won't be cast on players under 30% sanity.

It was originally tuned for being randomly cast on one of 25 people, it tends to feel spammy when you are alone, but it's not going to dip you below 30%.

Its cast frequency is a bit inconsistent, sometimes it has chunked me down to 30% way before portals spawn, sometimes I will still be > 80% by then.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby degre » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am

I've tried Halion a couple of days ago and was a joke, my health bar wasn't really moving.

Haven't tried anything else as I'm not into running older content as I still have stuff to finish in the current one, just did Halion by chance as I was flying past Wyrmrest and noticed an available quest, which was the one to investigate Ruby Sanctum, so I gave it a go.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:35 am

I'm a little confused about how some of this works, because I just went to a very trivial low level area (Stratholme, for a mount run), and my abilities are all hitting for pre-squish levels of damage.
KysenMurrin

Postby Amirya » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:17 am

Worldie wrote:There is a hidden buff in content 5 or more levels lower than you that extremely reduces damage intake and amplifies damage done.

That's the reason right there. I imagine it's easier to implement a buff than to retune all of the old places.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:01 pm

Okay; I didn't think they'd go quite so overboard with that, though. I'm getting 100k crits with Frost Shock.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:08 pm

The buff size depends on the content you run. Funnily enough you get much bigger numbers in a lvl 85 raid than in say, molten core.

It's just there specifically to let you solo it in a reasonable time.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jadhzia » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:51 am

I rarely soloed old raids before, but now with the hidden buff it has become ridiculously easy...

With my protection paladin, I can now clear Ulduar 25HM (except Lana'thel, where I switch to 25NM) and ICC 25HM (with my holy off-spec for Valithria) without the need for any preparation or optimization.

But I was also surprised to be able to clear the Firelands 10NM (except Ragnaros) with my fire mage alt that I rarely play. Most bosses took several tries and specific choices of talents, but that may become smoother with more practice. With Ryolith, I simply burned through his buff, without guiding him into volcanos.

As for Alysrazor for the mount, she can be put down by most of my ranged dps alts without much trouble. Worst case scenario, I leave her at 10-20% when she takes off, and take three feathers to finish her off in flight.

My cotank guildmate went a couple of times in BWD HM and cleared everything easily in Arms spec.

In a way all of this is nice, because it enables me to advances old legendary quests on my own. On the other hand, it's a nice source of challenge that's been removed from the game. I think I'm a bit disappointed, somehow. But my point is: I'm just an average skilled player who never touches HM when it's current, and everything suddenly became vastly easier.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby bldavis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:27 pm

ill just add that trying to tame Chimeron, i accidently killed him with a cloak proc from 22%....and my hunter has shite gear lol

as a blood dk, i am sure you would have no issues at all with the exception of a few weird fights like dreamwalker

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Amirya » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:34 pm

bldavis wrote:as a blood dk, i am sure you would have no issues at all with the exception of a few weird fights like dreamwalker since Dreamwalker is now skippable

Fixed.

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:15 pm

It is? I was on a toon with heals so I just spammed her to full before the adds arrived. So can you just run straight through to Sindragosa?
KysenMurrin

Postby Amirya » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Yes. Behind Dreamwalker, the door is already open. Only reason I do that fight is for Shadowfrost shards :)

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Man it's weird coming on here and reading about people soloing content that my guild struggled to clear in wrath...
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Koatanga » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Arnock wrote:Man it's weird coming on here and reading about people soloing content that my guild struggled to clear in wrath...

Doesn't stop at Wrath - I'm farming Firelands solo for the staff quest on my elemental shaman.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Era » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Successfully solo'd everything below Dragon Soul on HC 25-man, as a i550 prot/retri Paladin. Haven't tried DS yet, will let you know how that goes when I find the time to play again. But Bastion of Twilight, Blackwing Descent and Firelands went relatively painless. Had some trouble on some of the encounters, but switching between Retribution and Protection depending on how much damage I needed to do or needed to take solved most of the problems.

EDIT: Though other than for more loots (if you're looking for transmogs), there's not really any reason to do 25M over 10M in Cataclysm content, I guess. Probably going to start doing 10M for Cata content just because it'll be quicker.

As a side note, can also happily solo Dreamwalker ICC 25HC as retribution, just spamming flash of light.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:57 am

Out of curiosity, is there some special trick I'm not aware for blood queen (25 hc)? With my ret pala (at 560 ilvl or so) I had to use a bloodlust drum and still barely killed her 3 seconds before mind control with 510k dps there but I heard of people happily soloing her as prot -_-

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jadhzia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:07 am

Era wrote:Successfully solo'd everything below Dragon Soul on HC 25-man, as a i550 prot/retri Paladin. Haven't tried DS yet, will let you know how that goes when I find the time to play again.

I only tried DS in 10-man because, as far as I know, going higher doesn't change the mounts drop rate. Everything was very easy with my Protection paladin, except Spine of Deathwing. This fight isn't difficult in itself, but you have to alternate left-right like an epileptic gnome for the whole duration of the fight. Everytime you stay one second too long on one side, you lose your amalgam and have to start again.

Worldie wrote:Out of curiosity, is there some special trick I'm not aware for blood queen (25 hc)? With my ret pala (at 560 ilvl or so) I had to use a bloodlust drum and still barely killed her 3 seconds before mind control with 510k dps there but I heard of people happily soloing her as prot -_-

No trick, unfortunately, you have to burn her in one minute. And bubbling doesn't remove the bite debuff. Since I don't have any dps spec, I have to switch back to 25NM to kill her.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Next

Return to General