GamerGate stuff

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: GamerGate stuff

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 am

The short version:

A bunch of people started harrassing and threatening people because they dislike criticism of games that disagrees with their personal politics. Some smaller group of people saw this harrassment and thought "well, they must have done something wrong to provoke this reaction", and closely aligned themselves with the people doing the harrassment, while not actually engaging in harrassment themselves.

Anyone who criticises the harrassment is attacked by the former group because that's what they do, and is also attacked by the latter group because they see talking about the harrassment as a distraction from the reasons for the harrassment (which are generally unclear and/or misguided).

But still, boiling it down into a short piece doesn't really give enough to understand.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 pm

As TL:DR as I could get it to be.

-Guy gets mad at girlfriend

-Claims girlfriend slept around for reviews

-tons of people jump on the bandwagon, and say it's about ethics

-Turns out, it's a lie.

-Like most things, mob doesn't listen, continues going on like it's the Salem Witch Trials.

-women who speak up and are critical of guy who got mad and his friends are being doxxed, harassed, and threatened with rape and murder. It should be pointed out that it is women. NOT men. Felicia Day, Brianna Wu, Zoe Quinn, and Anita Sarkeesan (spelling might be off on that one), being the big names, but plenty of others have been doxxed. Wu, Quinn, and Anita having to flee their homes / cancel appearances due to threats against their lives. Chris Kluwe, a fairly popular internet person, and former NFL player has been far bigger of an "asshole" towards GG'ers, but hasn't been doxxed, has faced no threats to his safety. Just ladies.

-group of people siding with guy who got mad are trying to boycott / scare sponsors away from sites that they feel aren't being nice, because they said that "gamers" are dead. (and taking it out of context, from what the article was about)

-Little is being talked about under hashtag that is actually about "doing something" about their "issue with ethics". Mostly it's just vomiting the same things over and over and over.

The above timeline is biased by my own opinion. I will accept that criticism. But, that doesn't mean that it's not true.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Seems like an ok timeline, but there has been people, specially women and lgbt have also been harassed that are in the GG-camp, some even doxxed as well. And the responses I've seen is that it's ok for these people to be harassed because they're allied with the GG-camp. "Lie with dogs, wake up with fleas".

Seen it cross my TL several times, but I don't pay attention enough to screencap it and such.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:59 pm

I have not seen GG'ers that have been Doxxed. But if they have, I have just as much of a problem with that as I do with GG'ers doxxing, threatening, and harassing anti GG'ers.

The only "Doxxing" claim I have seen from a Pro-GG person is from Cernovich who went apeshit because ZQ posted his Law Practice Address.

Which is as publicly available as it gets. Cenovich + California + Attorney and it was on a PUBLIC website (that came up on PG1 of Google Results) that is a "Yellow Pages" type repository for Certified Lawyers in the United States. For giggles, I checked, and sure enough, a woman I graduated High School with is also publicly available on the site, and she is just about the single most "PRIVACYIZSRSBIZ" Person I have ever met.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Cenovich is a dick. To say that he needs to EABODs and DIAF is an understatement.

I've seen pro-gg women and pro-gg lgbts get doxxed, but every time it's brought up to say "hey, our guys are also getting harassed just like you guys are" its met with tepid apathy, or even celebration.

Now, I won't deny that some douchecanoes in the pro-gg side cheer when women get harassed... which irks me and wishes I could reach thru the screen and punch them... and I think everyone can agree on that, but what I've seen from the media is that one side is righteous and does no wrong and the other side is full of women-hating people -- which is one of the reasons why I try to stay as neutral as possible.

I've seen more people that are pro-gg to admit there are bad elements in their group and that they do terrible harm by harassing others and that while they try to curtail that behavior their efforts are just inadequate even as they setup groups to quickly report harassers over twitter and such; but I don't recall ever seeing anti-gg'ers really speak against the harassment of pro-gg'ers... if I am shown an example, then I will quickly admit I was wrong. It's easy to admit being wrong.

This does not mean I condone GG or even agree with whatever they're fighting, but does not mean I don't get to raise an eyebrow over how they get treated at times. Not saying lets throw a pity-party for them, just a basic acknowledgement that not only one side has its extremists, but -both-. It just happens that one gets the publicity.
Last edited by Klaudandus on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Cenovich is a dick. To say that he needs to EABODs and DIAF is an understatement.

Klaudandus wrote:This does not mean I condone GG or even agree with whatever they're fighting, but does not mean I don't get to raise an eyebrow over how they get treated at times. To hear others say they deserve it is one of the reasons why I try to stay neutral.

I do hope you appreciate the irony in this. :)
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Well... I also think that Bobby Kotick needs to EABODs and DIAF. =P

And yeah, I am aware of the irony... in my defense, I am judging Cenovich as an individual.
---
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Related to Klaud's post, I just read a pretty solid blog post that's fairly critical of the extremists on both sides.

http://www.popehat.com/2014/10/26/ten-s ... gamergate/

It also identifies a lot of the major reasons I don't think that logical, level-headed people should be associating with GG at all. Some choice quotes:
Moreover, if you chose the label #GamerGate as your vehicle, people are going to draw conclusions. If I put a Westboro Baptist Church bumper sticker on my car, people will draw conclusions no matter how carefully I explain that their children's choir program is awesome. That's because the Westboro Baptist Church label is very specific. It's not something broad like "Baptist" or "Agnostic" that you'd expect to encompass a wide range of views. #GamerGate is very specific too. The label #GamerGate has its origins in a freakout over a woman in particular, and gender issues in general. If you decide to adopt it, people are going to wonder if you mean to associate yourself with its origins, in a way they wouldn't if you chose a broader label.

When people complain that they are being associated with misogyny and threats for waving the #GamerGate banner, I feel (on a different scale) about the way I do when people complain that they are being misjudged for flying the Confederate battle flag. Sure, maybe it means Southern pride and heritage to some of them. But I'm not sympathetic when many see it another way based on its history. If you fly the Confederate battle flag, people may reasonably think you intend to send a message that contradicts your spoken claims of harmony and equality.

The "#NotYourShield" hashtag is apparently intended to convey that #GamerGate can't be sexist or racist or anti-gay because there are women and minorities and LGBT people who support #GamerGate.

This is an irritating and faintly condescending fallacy that pops up now and again. Look! Bill Cosby criticized "black culture!" It must be right because he's black! Look! Morgan Freeman criticized black history month! It's convincing because he's black! Look! Christina Hoff Sommers criticized feminism! Her criticism has added weight because she's a woman!

It's as if people are trying to apply some twisted rule of evidence in which a statement by one member of a group is a binding admission on the whole group.

But people can be wrong whatever gender or color or orientation they are. Doubt me? Let me ask it this way: are Michael Moore's generalizations about white Americans automatically more right because he's a white American? How about Nancy Pelosi? Noam Chomsky? No? No. Because that's obvious bullshit.

A woman saying she supports #GamerGate and doesn't find it misogynistic firmly establishes only that this particular woman hasn't experienced misogyny, or didn't perceive it misogyny, or didn't care. She doesn't speak for all women any more than a "SJW" critic of #GamerGate. Everyone's millage may vary.

I've obviously chosen the quotes most relevant to my stance, but he's pretty harsh on the extremists in the anti- camp too (presumably the ones that are harassing the GGers).
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Well... I also think that Bobby Kotick needs to EABODs and DIAF. =P

And yeah, I am aware of the irony... in my defense, I am judging Cenovich as an individual.

I just thought it was funny, not really picking on you. Though I think the same defense could be claimed by the people harassing people (on both sides) for their statements about the issue.
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:10 pm

theckhd wrote:Related to Klaud's post, I just read a pretty solid blog post that's fairly critical of the extremists on both sides.

http://www.popehat.com/2014/10/26/ten-s ... gamergate/

I've obviously chosen the quotes most relevant to my stance, but he's pretty harsh on the extremists in the anti- camp too (presumably the ones that are harassing the GGers).

I think that's a pretty fair article. But it is a lot more than I can say for others that can't admit that it's not just one side that has extremists.

I just thought it was funny, not really picking on you. Though I think the same defense could be claimed by the people harassing people (on both sides) for their statements about the issue.

Perhaps, but I did not go to Cenovich's twitter and tell him to EABODs, but I've seen people, on both sides, deliberately going to someone else's twitter with the intent purpose of harassing them.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:54 pm

So lemme get this straight...

Basically we have a Salem situation where some of the alleged witches, and some who don't believe the alleged witches are in fact witches, are getting death and rape threats, and being "doxxed" (females only, because presumably no one wants to rape male gamers, or perhaps everyone figures the male gamers would be stoked to finally get laid?), but some people are still supportive of them because, after all, witches are bad and they are against witches, even if the accused aren't in fact witches.

Do I have that right?
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 am

ARGH! THAR BE PROFANITY AHEAD! I'm trying to make sure that I don't attack anyone. I'm trying not to paint either side poorly. I'm just trying to make a point, and I have the mouth of a sailor at times.

Conversation between my wife and I made me sort of... "codify" how I feel about the whole thing.

This whole thing makes Gamers look awful, and it's on public display. And make no mistake. This is a VERY public display. Gamers on both sides have taken their shitbaggery from official forums, chat channels, and the like, and used that mentality to try and prove their point. It's as if the entire internet has turned into Barrens General Chat during it's... "hey day" (Can you call a time when something was a cesspool of toxicity, dick & ass jokes, rape jokes, and other awfulness a hey day?).

It kills me to watch, because it paints all gamers in a bad light. Broad strokes? People on both sides are saying things like "Don't paint us all in such broad strokes!" We (gamers) are going to be judged, by the worst of the worst on both sides. We are going to be judged by the doxxing, the hate speech, the threats, the misogyny, the cernovich's, the rogue star gamez, and anyone on the other side who is being just as terrible. These people color the "Broad Strokes" with which people who aren't gamers will paint gamers with. And that's not their solely their fault. We as a society often paint in broad strokes when it comes to things that we don't know or understand, yet find reprehensible. Look at how (at least in the U.S.) Islam is looked at, even some 13 years into this "war on terror", because of the militant extremist portion of the religion. Broad Strokes. Stereotypes. It happens.

Theck, Theck's wife, Klaud, Sag, Worldie, Myself... ALL of us will be given the broad stroke generalization. It doesn't matter if you participate or not. From this moment on, a large population of non gamers who find out you are a gamer and have seen the absolute absurdity and awfulness with which we have treated each other will paint with a broad stroke. It will be their first impression. It is not good for anyone. Pro, or Anti.

We will be seen as a ravenous bunch of angry assholes, willing to tear our community apart, set it on fire, and dance in the still burning remains of it, rather than band together, and realize that this is not the way you get things done. "Some men, just want to watch the world burn".

Isn't that very stereotype something that we have, for such a long fucking time, tried to rail against? To prove that we are not? To prove that we aren't any different than anyone else? That we hold PHD's, Master's, Bachelor's, & Associate Degrees? That we are everywhere? That You don't have to be some acne riddled, pale teenager with no social life or social skills to enjoy gaming? That you don't have to live at home in your parents basement?

That you can be an NFL player.
You can be a Doctor.
You can be an E-Commerce Director.
You can work for a School System.
You can be ANYONE YOU WANT TO BE, and enjoy games.

But this. This is killing that perception. We may be those things, but we are not a person you would want to hang out with. Watch the game with. Grab a beer with. We are some festering boil on the ass of society that will make everyone miserable. And with that, I'm moving on. I'm done. I will no longer point out and ridicule the pros. I will no longer be a voice for the anti. I will no longer have anything to do with either side. I've set a deadline. Those people that I associate with that are still burning the community down around us all after that day, will be gone from my social media platforms. They will be gone from the places I frequent. And if that means I end up leaving video gaming behind me in the process? Then so be it. I wont let a bunch of random people on the internet give the world their impression of me.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:31 am

Well, that went from poisoning the well to setting Cuyahoga on fire.

Not really being snarky, but kinda feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy... repeat Gamers are bad until all gamers are bad in the eyes of the average joe schmoe... and I'm trying to care but unable to.

Gaming is big in my social circle, but does not define me, and I don't present myself as a gamer, nor I care what society thinks of me in the first place. Only opinion that matters to me are those of my social circle (friends and acquaintances), and there can be dissent within friends and still be friends with that person.

So while I see where you're coming from, and understand why it bothers you, it's just not worth the effort to get upset about it, just do what you enjoy and ignore the world. After all, I'd still drink beer with you and talk about how weird the Browns are. =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:09 am

Klaudandus wrote:Well, that went from poisoning the well to setting Cuyahoga on fire.

Not really being snarky, but kinda feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy... repeat Gamers are bad until all gamers are bad in the eyes of the average joe schmoe... and I'm trying to care but unable to.

Gaming is big in my social circle, but does not define me, and I don't present myself as a gamer, nor I care what society thinks of me in the first place. Only opinion that matters to me are those of my social circle (friends and acquaintances), and there can be dissent within friends and still be friends with that person.

So while I see where you're coming from, and understand why it bothers you, it's just not worth the effort to get upset about it, just do what you enjoy and ignore the world. After all, I'd still drink beer with you and talk about how weird the Browns are. =P

It's not my intention to "set the Cuyahoga on fire".

And I don't present myself as a gamer either. But I don't go out of my way to hide it either. I have a gaming (albeit no video games) tattoo. It may be in memory of a friend who passed, but it is still a gaming tattoo. In social settings, it's bound to come up at some point. And the longer this drags out, the more public perception is going to be attached to it.

I do care greatly about societal perception of groups. I can't tell you why. Maybe it's my social worker wife. Maybe it's my future marine kid, son of a crack whore. Maybe it's because I had a kid when I was a teenager. Maybe it's the sum of my life experiences, and never really feeling like I truly fit in with a "group". I don't know.

But I hate the idea of gaming reverting back to a negative societal notion.

I think the idea that "gamer" as a stereotype dying is a good thing. I think being able to move forward, and just be people is a great thing. We all have hobbies. We don't all have the same hobbies. Even those of us that overlap.

I'm a
Gamer
Musician
statistician
Former fat ass turned runner
graphic designer
aspiring writer
fascinated with internet commerce.

Gaming doesn't define me. But it is a part of me. And I've come to a point in my life where I am the sum of my parts, and I hate that one of those parts is taking such a beating lately. I'd rather cut part it out, than to watch it become a negative in the eyes of others.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:36 am

The setting the cuyahoga on fire and the self-fulfilling prophecy bit was a critique on the media. Mea culpa on not being clear enough on that.
Last edited by Klaudandus on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:39 am

Klaudandus wrote:The setting the cuyahoga on fire was a critique on the media.

Ah. I see.

SO, Come to ohio, we'll get drunk, and go set the ol' cuyahoga on fire again. Or, touby's Run. It's closer, and more apt to catch fire now :(
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:41 am

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:The setting the cuyahoga on fire was a critique on the media.

Ah. I see.

SO, Come to ohio, we'll get drunk, and go set the ol' cuyahoga on fire again. Or, touby's Run. It's closer, and more apt to catch fire now :(

Yeah, I wasn't clear enough with what my first part of my post was aimed at. I just feel the media ran with "gamers are horrible" when their message was within the gamer niche, but now that is sprawling to outside the gamermarket, it makes everyone look bad, even those with the megaphones -- and I'm just like "welp, ran out of fucks to give"
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:08 pm

The thing of it is that many (not all, or most, but enough to be very visible) are douchebags online. Have you ever seen /trade right before maintenance? All the "anal" links?

What about when someone in a PuG fails? Do we try to help people out, or do we call them names and kick them? Do we roll need for our off-spec over someone rolling main spec, to the extent Blizzard came up with mechanics to specifically address such situations? Do we belittle people in public channels and on public forums?

In short, would we be perfectly happy saying anything we've said in game or on a forum to the person's face? Would we behave in real life how we do online? I'm thinking there are quite a few "no" answers out there.

Why are we such douchebags? Because we don't know these people and we'll probably never meet them, or even see them online again. We are cloaked in anonymity. We are free to tear down others to make ourselves feel better. We are free to be selfish without recourse.

It may be that any group of people in a similar situation would behave similarly. There are even people out there who behave badly when they are not cloaked in anonymity. GamerGate just shines the light on us - specifically the worst of us, but in general all of us - and we do behave badly toward one another.
Koatanga

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Which all gets into my "All I see is people on the internets behaving like people normally do on the internets"
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Worldie wrote:Which all gets into my "All I see is people on the internets behaving like people normally do on the internets"

I agree to an extent. The differences here are:

1: It's entering real life with doxxing.
2: It's entering public consciousness where people don't understand internets behaviour.
3: The nearly-exclusive targeting of women and threats of rape are way out of line.

Trade chat is hazing. Most forum content is hazing. People want to belong to the group, so they accept the hazing and get on with it. It's OK to give a guy an alcohol enema as part of fraternity hazing, but do that to a stranger on the street and it's sexual assault.

It's crossed the line from hazing to abuse. There is no jovial spirit behind this, and the people being abused don't want it.
Koatanga

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Maybe people shouldn't behave like assholes on the internet...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Koatanga » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

As long as there are people out there who think inventing cryptolocker is a good idea, is there any chance of that happening?
Koatanga

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Maybe people shouldn't behave like assholes on the internet...

No shit Sabin :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:07 pm

Worldie wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Maybe people shouldn't behave like assholes on the internet...

No shit Sabin :P

I know I'm so insightful

>_>
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Relevant

"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General