Mouse recommendations?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Mouse recommendations?

Postby Arnock » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:39 pm

After four years of service, my trusty Microsoft Sidewinder is starting to register double clicks instead of single clicks, and has cost me a few hours of work after this caused me to accidentally close a program.

I really liked the size, shape, and button layout of that mouse, but unfortunately microsoft is no longer making them.

So I'm currently looking for a replacement that would be roughly similar in size and shape. Does anyone here have any recommendations?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Re: Mouse recommendations?

Postby Kai » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:12 am

roccat has a few models that look similar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... toreType=0

otherwise just look through:
http://www.newegg.com/Gaming-Mice/SubCa ... ?Tid=52166

I'm using variations of this logitech model since years
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 000C-000C5

quite happy with those, using similar ones with that shape both at work and at home.
Kai

Postby Koatanga » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:05 pm

I like lots of buttons, but not clustered such that they are difficult to distinguish in the heat of the moment. I quite like the Razer Hex, except the mouse itself is too small for my large mitts. Haven't found a "perfect" mouse for me yet. I'm tempted to try one of those ones that look like they're exploding like the Mad Catz M.M.O.7.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Yelena » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:06 am

I used a first generation Logitech G700 (link reflects the newer generation) for a couple years. I actually still use it for playing Diablo 3, as the four thumb buttons work nicely with that game. My only real gripe with the G700 is the cable is definitely a data/charging cable before before it's a traditional "wired" mouse cable; as such, the cable is more stiff than most mice.

Anymore, for WoW, I use a Logitech G600. MMO mice take a little time to get used to, I know I was quite resistant; once I got used to the thumb grid, I won't use another mouse (type) for an MMO. The nice thing with the G600 is that all of the thumb buttons are uniquely shaped, so it's quite easy to tell by feel which button is which.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you feel is the best fit for you. Both Logitech and Razor have a variety of different mouse shapes and button configurations, the best suggestion would be to take a look at their product offerings. Most electronics stores also have quite a few different types on display.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Fetzie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 am

If you want lots of buttons that aren't easy to misclick, look at the Corsair M series mice.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am

Yelena wrote:I used a first generation Logitech G700 (link reflects the newer generation) for a couple years. I actually still use it for playing Diablo 3, as the four thumb buttons work nicely with that game. My only real gripe with the G700 is the cable is definitely a data/charging cable before before it's a traditional "wired" mouse cable; as such, the cable is more stiff than most mice.

I'm going to quote this line as I more or less agree with it. Been using two G700 (one at home one at work) and I can't complain so far!
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Various revisions of the Sidewinder mouse appear to be readily available on eBay, though maybe not new-in-box ones. I use a Logitech G5 myself that I have been happy with.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
(Only temporarily not a dwarf.)
PsiVen

Postby xstratax » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:12 pm

I absolutely LOVE my G600, and the kicker for me was the "G-Shift Button." Sure you could just as easily hit Ctrl+Mouse Button, but I like being able to do it with one hand while my other is executing movement etc on my keyboard. It saves just a bit on the finger cramps.

My only gripe with mine (which could be an issue with just mine tbh) is that my tilt wheel doesnt like to go right the first time I use it in a while, but after that its normal. Thankfully i dont use it much as its my Cleanse button.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Olen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:02 am

Stick with the Sidewinder if you liked it. Very hard to find another mouse with vertically arranged thumb buttons, which is what makes the Sidewinder shine. I don't know why other manufacturers don't use it since it's much more natural to press them w/o moving your palm.
Olen

Postby Arnock » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Olen wrote:Stick with the Sidewinder if you liked it. Very hard to find another mouse with vertically arranged thumb buttons, which is what makes the Sidewinder shine. I don't know why other manufacturers don't use it since it's much more natural to press them w/o moving your palm.

Unfortunately, they don't make the sidewinders anymore.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Return to General