[suggestion] better ilv calculation ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

[suggestion] better ilv calculation ?

Postby oldboyz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:36 am

what about enchant&chant should add some ilv
something like for each item : major enchant/gemm --> +3ilv - minor enchant/gem --> +1ilv

quite fed up to see all those reroll in flex/nm who don't care about these improvments

it would help most characters to reach treeshold more easily (dungeon, lfr, etc)
as usual, people improve only when they see interest. The end to the " i don't want to spend ressource until my loot is HM! even if i'm fresh LFR - i don't care to be optimal in flex"

with this little proposal, we may see everyone taking more care of their stuff (not to mention ego/epeen)
oldboyz

Re: [suggestion] better ilv calculation ?

Postby Ironshield » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:26 am

In theory a nice idea, but would it differentiate between good and bad gemming / enchanting? Or could I put a vanilla int/spirit gem I my Ret gear and still get the boost? How would you define 'correct' gemming? Blizz weren't expecting us to be gemming haste at the beginning of MoP I don't think...
Ironshield

Postby Thels » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Sounds like a nice idea, though I wouldn't give different values to different enchants from the same expansion as the more expensive enchant is not always the best enchant. More like:

Character levels 1-69 require a vanilla or higher enchant to gain the ilvl bonus.
Character levels 70-79 require a TBC or higher gem/enchant to gain the ilvl bonus.
Character levels 80-84 require a WotLK or higher gem/enchant to gain the ilvl bonus.
Character levels 85-89 require a Cata or higher gem/enchant to gain the ilvl bonus.
Character levels 90-99 require a MoP or higher gem/enchant to gain the ilvl bonus.
Character level 100 requires a WoD or higher gem/enchant to gain the ilvl bonus.

Don't care for the type of bonus it gives. Leave that up to the player. Ilvl calculates the strength of the gear, not if the gear fits the class/spec/playstyle.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby oldboyz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:40 pm

in fact, initialy, i've thought about a more pertinent calculation based on item budget vs current spec (for instance, hit would be not considered for a healeur)
it would be also a different way to fix pvp/pve ilv

but some would have to decide how to handle substat (most obvious is spirit=healeur stat, but no that much useless for a dps... then what about overcap hit... then should we consider haste treeshold for some spec.. etc etc)
oldboyz

Postby Koatanga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:10 pm

oldboyz wrote:in fact, initialy, i've thought about a more pertinent calculation based on item budget vs current spec (for instance, hit would be not considered for a healeur)
it would be also a different way to fix pvp/pve ilv

but some would have to decide how to handle substat (most obvious is spirit=healeur stat, but no that much useless for a dps... then what about overcap hit... then should we consider haste treeshold for some spec.. etc etc)

The main issue is that it would be a Bliz mechanic calculating the iLvl as well as determining what stats to weigh, and Bliz often gets the optimal stat build entirely wrong.

They design the game with certain pre-conceived ideas and design everything around it without thinking outside the box. They designed Paladin tank gear with dodge and parry because that's what the box says we want, but when Pandaclysm rolled out, we stacked haste and became completely overpowered because a haste build for Prot was not in their box.

Imagine an LFR iLvl gate at that time that would have valued dodge and parry and discounted haste on our gear.

Good idea in theory, but in practice it would just go terribly wrong.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Thels » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02 am

Besides, Hit, Expertise, Parry and Dodge are going away, so there's no point evaluating them now.

They could devaluate spirit and armor for non-healer/non-tank specs, but what if it's their offspec? Would it allow them to queue with only one of their specs? And what if people used it as a gem or enchant? IMHO, it's not worth the trouble.

"You should have an enchant on your gear" is unarguably good advise. "You should have enchant X or Y on your gear" is not. If X and Y would provide more ilvl while it turns out that Z is the better enchant, people would still enchant X or Y because of the higher ilvl, meaning they have an easier time getting picked up for groups.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby oldboyz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:17 am

yup, that's why just a bonus on whatever enchant/gemm would be just enought to have people start thinking about it (which is the major step i guess for the mass)
once they start to be familiar with, some may start about more optimized

talking with some fresh casual in my gu, they barely know about it : gemm is the more obvious because you can see empty socket ^^ while enchant is quite mysterious, leg/shoulder being also different kind (may be item should have too an "enchant socket")
oldboyz

Postby Ironshield » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:38 am

Now that's something I can get behind. You character sheet should explicitly say if an item could have an enchant but doesn't. Basically they should bring the advanced armoury into the game.
Ironshield

Postby Thels » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 am

Yeah, when I've switched a few items and upgrades around, I always log out and check my armory, to see if I forgot to apply any enchants/gems/profession bonuses.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby halabar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:24 am

Ironshield wrote:In theory a nice idea, but would it differentiate between good and bad gemming / enchanting? Or could I put a vanilla int/spirit gem I my Ret gear and still get the boost? How would you define 'correct' gemming? Blizz weren't expecting us to be gemming haste at the beginning of MoP I don't think...

Likely not needed.

All the WoD enchants are secondary stats (and some tertiary I think). So there are no truly bad choices.. some might not be optimal, but won't be truly bad.

I expect gems will work the same way.

However, there's a problem with this ilvl system. In WoD, only ~6 slots will be enchantable, so it would give an artificial boost to those slots. And gem sockets are going to be random tertiary only, so again, it would be out of balance.

If gemming and enchanting wasn't changing so much, this would be an interesting way to encourage folks to do that. But with the WoD changes, it's not needed that much.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Thels » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Actually, the fact that only a few slots are enchantable doesn't matter. All characters are able to enchant the exact same slots, so the total enchant bonus is exactly the same. The only possible exception I could see is Dual Wielders. Assuming we can no longer enchant offhands, Dual Wielders should only get half the ilvl bonus per slot.

Gems aren't affected as much, since gemslots are rare, but I don't see a big issue with awarding a small ilvl boost to it. Warforged is a 6 ilvl boost, and gemslots are supposed to be as rare. If you do have a gemslot with a decent gem in it, it should be considered stronger than the same item without a gemslot.

Movement speed on boots remains as an enchant, but will be the only tertiary enchant available.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Nooska » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:38 am

I have to say;
I'm failing to see what issue this would actually address.

If its simply awareness, sure, make it explicit on the item that it could be enchanted (gems are a given).

If its the rerollers for flex/normal (normal/heroic in WoD); well, knowledge of the fight beats out the small boost from the enchants; I would rather have a group of unenchanted/ungemmed rerollers, than a group of fully enchanted/gemmed firsttimers in a pug (and it can only be about pugs, as a guild group has social tools to handle this sort of thing)

Also, since enchants differ in price, not weigthing it, would just mean everyone was carrying around the cheapest enchant on a reroll (if they didn't care, and if they do care, well they aren't the problem).

This is, imnsho, thinking up a solution for a problem that doesn't actually exist - at least not in teh described format, or an issue that it wouldn't remedy anyway..
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:47 am

I think what they want to "address" with this proposal is giving people who enchant/gem their gear an easier time getting into LFR and other ilvl-gated things.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby oldboyz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:21 am

why i would really enjoy it is that in the PU world, everyone has ilv as first criteria because it is an instant available information. i use a lot OQ, and what i see is "RL put a treshold at 500ilv : unenchanted/ungemmed with 500ilv will be allowed to reach the raid, fully enchant&gem with 499ilv can't candidate..." (quite same story in /2)
-unenchanted/ungemmed guy may be an oldtime raider with outstanding dps... or he may be a lazy newcomer... (and if he is a good one, could be even better with improvement)
-fully enchant&gem may be a veteran, or just a newcomer (but in this case at least he did the effort)

so yes, i prefer to be with a group of enchanted/gemmed rerollers rather than unenchanted/ungemmed rerollers xD

based on personnal xp (which it may be biaised) i especially think that rerollers are quite lazy about it
-because they don't want to spend too much ressource on alt, prefer to save for their main
-because they keep their ressource for much better stuff (game detect when you do a nice enchant, next loot is alway a better similar piece, which oblige you to redo the same enchant^^)

me too, i've a lot of toons, and i'm very bursar with them (quite lazy too with my latest reroll. Haha, my secret to be millionaire!)

but, if we have an incentive to take care, we may use more often gem&enchant : because if we can enter faster in scen/dunj/lfr-P1/lfr-P2/whatever, we will get faster better loot, so faster ready for real raid

PS.
regarding the different enchants availalbe, each may have a different ilv bonus (for ex. from +1 to +5 depending how much budget it bring). Same for gem based on quality
oldboyz

Postby halabar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

The goal is to incentivize the LFR crowd to enchant their gear and gem it.

There's a few problems with that...

First, the gem slots will be rare, so those really aren't an issue going forward.

For enchants, it's the non-tier slots will be enchantable, and giving an ilvl boost to those slots would make those slots overvalued. You would have to nerf that gear to compensate and that causes other issues.

Considering the other LFR changes that are coming, perhaps non-tier dropping instead of tier in WoD, I think this issue is going to solve itself. In WoD, it appears we are going to go from dungeon blues to LFR epics (or blues?) to Normal/heroic/mythic.

And frankly, for most of the LFR crowd, a few enchants and maybe one or two gems is not going to make much difference.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Next

Return to General