Surviving the Summer

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Surviving the Summer

Postby Worldie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:07 am

How does a little guild that barely has enough people to get Flex raids toghether, and still hasn't even killed Garrosh, survive the summer and several more months of the same content?
How can I prevent us from disbanding for people quitting for boredom?

Any more experienced guild leadership can help me?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Surviving the Summer

Postby Thels » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 am

I think that if you have not yet killed Garrosh, you stand a better chance than if you have killed Garrosh. You still have something to progress towards.

I hopped from a 25HC guild to a friends and family guild, and we're making decent progress on Garrosh 10 Normal. I don't see us doing Heroics much, so once Garrosh goes down, I wonder what we're going to do next.

After 6 months of T14 and 6 months of T15, giving us 15 months of T16 is madness!
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kal » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm in that second group having killed Garrosh. Attendance is iffy and we're recruiting for two people, so it looks like we need to either get into heroics or call it off until WoD. As log as we're downing bosses, I won't leave without at least finding a replacement tank, but I'm having doubts.

As for getting to Garrosh, sounds like your group needs to recruit. As long as the carrot of a Garrosh kill hangs, you won't have to deal with boredom.

To fight boredom and keep a group together (not just 1 and done) after a Garrosh kill, I suggest doing achieve runs in Flex mode. That mount is really cool. Also you can do the earlier MoP raids on heroic for those achievements. Some of the fights are still really challenging, even when over geared.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby econ21 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Kal wrote:As for getting to Garrosh, sounds like your group needs to recruit.

Yeah, if you want the guild to keep going, keep scheduling raids at regular slots and keep recruiting so you can. Most guilds are probably winding down raiding now, but I think there are players who want to raid but aren't. They may be alts of experienced players wanting to gear up. They may be returning players like my son, who came back to WoW a month or two ago, and now is close to downing Garrosh. Or they maybe people like me whose own guild has stopped raiding and would like to switch horses.
econ21

Postby Kai » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:10 am

how much do you raid? we are going down to 1 raid a week from 3 and will just keep extending until it's cleared and then go again. We are still losing 1-2 people, but one guy is coming back who wasn't up for doing 3 raids/week any more but is happy to do one/week. that might be a considering if you raided 2-3 times. even with summer and all, assuming that people still generally like wow (and hate blizzards guts for the 15 months break), doing 1 raid for 3-4 hours usually works out.
and otherwise as said before if you make it clear that you are casual, not going to push heroics and just raid 1-2 times a week, quite possibly that you can pick up guys from other guilds that stopped raiding but that are up for it on a casual scale.

but this summer is going to be a guild killer, no matter what.
Kai

Postby Worldie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:07 am

We aren't a raid progressive guild, we only raid twice per week, and I've specifically been against raiding normal not because we lack the gear or skill, but because we're a social oriented guild and I don't want to have to sit people out, hence waiting for 6.0 for it.
I was however expecting 6.0 much sooner than November.
With people logging less and less, it gets very hard to convince the few that actually want to stay and keep raiding to pass time to not seek for a more active guild.

Sadly, being us on Twisting Nether, most of the potential recruitment pool is interested in getting carried to free Ahead of the Curve rather than to a friendly social guild.

I'm inclined to think we'll just end up being me and the 2 officers left in November, and will have to start recruiting from 0 then.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby oldboyz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:59 am

Oqueue for the win !!

4 weeks i kill Garrosh with 3 differents toons (tank560&564, hunt574), now planning to do it also with n°4&5 (2healeurs 560)
i don't bother normal-run, just wait garrosh ^^

i've try also some OQ HC, but not very happy ending (the worse being if you only wipe once on immersus & raid disband... you are doom with an hc id)

i've already think about stopping wow until next extention (and humm...for the moment, i don't feel anything about WoD)
then... i enjoy cheap price on PS3 game xD (10€ is no-brain), have 5 waiting ^^
oldboyz

Postby halabar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm currently one of the dps officers in my raid team, and we are actively discussing the same stuff. We are currently working on Gary 25N, and it's been a challenge.

Main thing we are talking about is starting to mix it up with alt runs, and achieve runs for the prior tiers. We might even do a tmog run of some of the old raids.

But you need something to mix it up, especially if you are stuck at a certain point.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Newsom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Keep recruiting!
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 am

Recruiting is hardly a option for us tbh.
Being us on one of the biggest horde realm (99% horde, 13k+ players, lots of 14/14 hc guilds on the realm), 99% of the potential recruits just want a free ride to Curve to then quit and join a bigger guild, noone is really interested in a mostly social guild who only does Normals and has no interest in heroics.
My co-officer is actively doing his best to find us recruits (I refuse to, as I just don't trust random people from /2 at all so would end up not recruiting anyone) but so far he hasn't really had much success, and the handful he managed to recruit logged for one raid, then disappeared for 2+ weeks.

Most of us are (sadly) in "standby till WoD". We all love WoW and want to keep playing but yeh, we kinda run out of content. Even I am having a hard time finding motivation to log outside of raid times.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 am

Instead of recruitment, you could try to fill your raid up with pugs. My raid team consists of exactly 10 people, but while 7 of them have a steady attendance, it is very rare for the last 3 to all be on during the same raid, so I've been pugging 1-2 people every raid. Ravencrest was a pretty decent server to be on for finding puggers, but now that cross-realm has opened up, it's relatively easy to find decent people on openraid.

I would not recommend OQ as much for raid leaders for progression raiding. Since there is no communication before you actually invited the person, it steers more towards people looking for a quick kill, than wiping a few hours on progression.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:45 am

My co-officer does that, I just despise pugs so much I rarely stick with the raid half filled with pugs though.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 am

Half-filled is bad. You're better off going full pug then, as you have like your guildies in one hand and the puggers in the other hand.

1 or 2 puggers should be ok, though. And sometimes you run into people that work well with your group, and you can invite them for later weeks. We've had certain players stick around for a month or so.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 am

We've had 2 people like that that eventually joined the guild and have stuck with us so far, but all other pugs we ran into were well.....

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 am

Worldie wrote:We've had 2 people like that that eventually joined the guild and have stuck with us so far, but all other pugs we ran into were well.....

Hey, I wasn't that bad was I? :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Next

Return to General