Remove Advertisements

Ghostcrawler Quits!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:42 am

I never liked him. While he did some good he also did some terrible stuff.

He really transformed the game from a place where I had a far distant goal in pve that looked like a dream, a place where all guilds could progress at their own pace without shame ... into a kind of factory where everybody in the game was doing the same stuff mindlessly every 6 months.

I agree that he was really talkative compared to Tigole but at the same time he was full of contradictions. Every 6 month or so he turned his coat, about difficulty of dungeons, about threat, about vengeance ...

Good riddance, even if the next one has a lot of chance to be the same or worse. I don't really mind since I don't play anymore :)

ps : also it makes me remember this old video about kaplan and the designer team ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8W24vacZys
Last edited by Cema on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cema

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:17 am

Io.Draco wrote:I see, well what an asshole.

I mean, just look at the tier bonuses from T1 thru T3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It wasn't until BC that we could properly tank, but only cuz people found a way to jerryrig things... We had to go about and get SP gear and Int gear and whatnot, while at the same time trying to keep our 490 defense rating. In some cases, we could do that by mixing resilience gear in lieu of defense gear.

Cema wrote:I never liked him. While he did some good he also did some terrible stuff.

That's incredibly unfair IMO. It is thanks to him that paladins got a shot at being viable tanks in the first place.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:27 am

And that's why I said he did some good. I see no problem here =)
Cema

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:36 am

Klaudandus wrote:It wasn't until BC that we could properly tank, but only cuz people found a way to jerryrig things... We had to go about and get SP gear and Int gear and whatnot, while at the same time trying to keep our 490 defense rating. In some cases, we could do that by mixing resilience gear in lieu of defense gear.

I, for one, liked the +spell damage on gear. And even with defense rating, it was fun balancing things. Made me feel unique. I'm sure plenty of people felt it was tedious, but I really liked that it WAS tedious.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:I see, well what an asshole.

I mean, just look at the tier bonuses from T1 thru T3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It wasn't until BC that we could properly tank, but only cuz people found a way to jerryrig things... We had to go about and get SP gear and Int gear and whatnot, while at the same time trying to keep our 490 defense rating. In some cases, we could do that by mixing resilience gear in lieu of defense gear.

and pissing off all of the warlocks and mages in the raid when you rolled on the Leviathan's Fang or the Blade of Tempests :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:45 am

Well, I think the problem was more the mechanics we had no counter against, like Fears, that basically made Warrior a necessity in any given raid team.
There was ALWAYS a spot for a warrior tank in a given raid. Unless you were busy in MH, not so much for us (and even then, Druids were decent as well).

The rest of the system was good, if a bit counter-intuitive at times. I guess Defense and spell damage went out the window because a) it's dumb to penalize a player for having more of a stat, without him being clearly aware of it (Defense); and b) gearing shenanigans that made Tank weapons Warrior-only (see the soon-ending headache of Intelect Plate).
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:52 am

I never felt that gearing during BC was so hard. Yes, our way of gearing was really curious but at the same time it gave me the feeling my character was pretty unique. In fact while it was a mess it was still quite fun.
Cema

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:55 am

Sagara wrote:Well, I think the problem was more the mechanics we had no counter against, like Fears, that basically made Warrior a necessity in any given raid team.
There was ALWAYS a spot for a warrior tank in a given raid. Unless you were busy in MH, not so much for us (and even then, Druids were decent as well).

The rest of the system was good, if a bit counter-intuitive at times. I guess Defense and spell damage went out the window because a) it's dumb to penalize a player for having more of a stat, without him being clearly aware of it (Defense); and b) gearing shenanigans that made Tank weapons Warrior-only (see the soon-ending headache of Intelect Plate).

You know that it was more than that. In vanilla, paladins were glorified buff machines. Might as well give us a banjo or a guitar and call us a bard.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 am

Counterpoint:
---
Klaudandus

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:58 am

I personally have mixed feelings about BC gearing, although we were unique it was fucking annoying how our tier pieces until tier 6 were horrible compared to off-set pieces for survivability but the only way to increase threat outside of a weapon/spell caster shield.

I also have to say that I absolutely hated, nay loathed with a fucking passion that piece of shit lollipop from MH. I also loathed how I had to wear that horrible looking ZA badge gear for MONTHS in tier 6 because my guild was unlucky as hell with tier drops.
Io.Draco

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:16 am

I just wish they created transmog before :(

Cema

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:54 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Sagara wrote:Well, I think the problem was more the mechanics we had no counter against, like Fears, that basically made Warrior a necessity in any given raid team.

You know that it was more than that. In vanilla, paladins were glorified buff machines. Might as well give us a banjo or a guitar and call us a bard.

Yeah, I was mostly expanding why people complained in BC, DESPITE us growing out of the biff machine paradigm.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Passionario » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:58 am

Oh no.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Lieris » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:21 pm

I really hope they did everything to keep him, he was one of the best things to ever happen to the game.

Tigole's crappy class design and childish hybrid hate is the reason paladins went from having 2 on demand melee abilities to having 0 once the game went live. GC was a total revelation.

I think that TBC gearing was pretty terrible. Spell damage on gear was nice as a flavour stat but it was the reason warriors had 5%+ more avoidance than we did, we had less drops (one set of boots/belt/bracers per tier), we had to fight with casters for a weapon and the scaling on it sucked. The WOTLK paladin redesign was a bit of a hack job rather than the overhaul it needed but the patch notes read like a paladin forum wishlist from 2005-8.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm divided on the spellpower thing.

I did like in TBC our uniqueness of being melee stacking SP, but in the end, Int plate were a nonsense already, and adding Int + defense gear was even more a nonsense as 1 spec/class out of a million could use them. (random thing, I'd like a second ranged phisical class in the game, as ranged weapons now are the only item type used only by 1 class)

With the primary stat and defensive stat gone from gear, I'd like Prot (and maybe ret) to be based around spell damage scaling again, just to differentiate them from other melee classes. In the end atm just a couple flashy lights (Judgement and Exorcism essentially) distinguishes a Ret paladin from a Arms warrior or a DK.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General