Ghostcrawler Quits!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Well congrats to Ghostcrawler on his new opportunity. He did a great job, and frankly his entering the forums and engaging the community was, in my opinion, the single best decision made for the game.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Arnock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:09 pm

He had a rough job, but he did it well.

I'm legitimately curious as to what kind of position could draw him away from Blizzard, there aren't any other big MMO's out there right now, incoming or current.

I wonder if it has more to do with him growing weary of his job at Blizz. It's got to wear on you, being the players' go-to scapegoat all of those years.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Maybe he decided to actually go back to marine biology?
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:35 pm

Worldie wrote:Stupid people, obviously, who can't understand how GC's approach was the best WoW ever had so far.


Aye, especially for paladins after everything we endured in BC, all the trash talking, all the prejudice and insults he helped make paladins into a very appreciated class with all their specs.
Last edited by Io.Draco on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Io.Draco wrote:
Worldie wrote:Stupid people, obviously, who can't understand how GC's approach was the best WoW ever had so far.


Aye, especially for paladins after everything we endured in BC, all the trash talking, all the prejudice and insults he helped make paladins into a very appreciate class with all their specs.


This. I still have a seething rage towards Kaplan...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:15 pm

I never quite understood the hatred some paladins have towards Kaplan, after all I only started to give a fuck about blue posts in BC, perhaps someone would care to explain to me what he had done because apparently he was the fucking prick we had to blame for all we endured until Wrath.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Nordix » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:
Worldie wrote:Stupid people, obviously, who can't understand how GC's approach was the best WoW ever had so far.


Aye, especially for paladins after everything we endured in BC, all the trash talking, all the prejudice and insults he helped make paladins into a very appreciate class with all their specs.


This. I still have a seething rage towards Kaplan...



All my feelings there.
User avatar
Nordix
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Incalcando » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I don't believe there is chance he found a better position for a better company than Blizzard, unless someone offered him an absurd amount of money that Blizzard just wouldn't match. I suspect that he's gonna move away from video game design and pursue some other career opportunity, who knows what.

All in all, I feel he was doing a great job with WoW, people who are saying 'good riddance' and stuff just have no fucking idea how hard it is to make a game as balanced as WoW is right now. Sure, it's not flawless, but it's pretty damn good.
Incalcando
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:53 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Io.Draco wrote:I never quite understood the hatred some paladins have towards Kaplan, after all I only started to give a fuck about blue posts in BC, perhaps someone would care to explain to me what he had done because apparently he was the fucking prick we had to blame for all we endured until Wrath.


Kaplan started as Tigole in Everquest, so did Alex Afrasiabi and Rob Pardo. They were hired because they ran this huge guild there.

At one point, Kaplan actually caused an EQ server crash because he was not happy that paladins could tank as well as warriors in that game.

For all of Vanilla and most of BC, the design philosophy was that Hybrids were penalized for being hybrids (you know, hybrid tax?)

Paladins and Druids were designed faulty off the bat because of those preconceived ideas, even tho they were supposed to fill several rolls.

There was also a sort of feedback loop between one of the top warrior tanks (possibly top worlwide), Kungen, back in the day, making assertions about Prot Warriors should be the only tanks in the game.

So you had the top tank trying to keep the other classes down, and the lead designer that had an inherent bias against hybrids and other classes that could tank other than warriors and you have a recipe for disaster.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Paxen » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:39 am

Ghostcrawler moved WoW away from the idea that a class could only do one thing, and that certain things could only be done by one class. That concept was horrible in a game where it takes several days to make a new character.

For that, and probably several other things, wow players should be eternally grateful to him.
Paxen
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 am

Arnock wrote:He had a rough job, but he did it well.

I'm legitimately curious as to what kind of position could draw him away from Blizzard, there aren't any other big MMO's out there right now, incoming or current.


Star Citizen?
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:19 am

Let's also not forget he used to do RTS. So, a change of game type is not impossible.

Still, despite the crapper playerbase, I always felt the Blizzard "attitude" was one of the best there was. I'm heavily suspecting if he went for anything, it's going to be very, *very* high on the totem pole, and a safe bet to boot.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:29 am

Well, you don't leave "Lead Systems Designer for World of Warcraft at Blizzard Entertainment" for a low-rung job.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:02 am

Yeah, I'm thinking Executive-level stuff, either for an entire product or line of products.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:38 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:I never quite understood the hatred some paladins have towards Kaplan, after all I only started to give a fuck about blue posts in BC, perhaps someone would care to explain to me what he had done because apparently he was the fucking prick we had to blame for all we endured until Wrath.


Kaplan started as Tigole in Everquest, so did Alex Afrasiabi and Rob Pardo. They were hired because they ran this huge guild there.

At one point, Kaplan actually caused an EQ server crash because he was not happy that paladins could tank as well as warriors in that game.

For all of Vanilla and most of BC, the design philosophy was that Hybrids were penalized for being hybrids (you know, hybrid tax?)

Paladins and Druids were designed faulty off the bat because of those preconceived ideas, even tho they were supposed to fill several rolls.

There was also a sort of feedback loop between one of the top warrior tanks (possibly top worlwide), Kungen, back in the day, making assertions about Prot Warriors should be the only tanks in the game.

So you had the top tank trying to keep the other classes down, and the lead designer that had an inherent bias against hybrids and other classes that could tank other than warriors and you have a recipe for disaster.



I see, well what an asshole.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:42 am

I never liked him. While he did some good he also did some terrible stuff.

He really transformed the game from a place where I had a far distant goal in pve that looked like a dream, a place where all guilds could progress at their own pace without shame ... into a kind of factory where everybody in the game was doing the same stuff mindlessly every 6 months.

I agree that he was really talkative compared to Tigole but at the same time he was full of contradictions. Every 6 month or so he turned his coat, about difficulty of dungeons, about threat, about vengeance ...

Good riddance, even if the next one has a lot of chance to be the same or worse. I don't really mind since I don't play anymore :)

ps : also it makes me remember this old video about kaplan and the designer team ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8W24vacZys
Last edited by Cema on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Cema
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:17 am

Io.Draco wrote:I see, well what an asshole.


I mean, just look at the tier bonuses from T1 thru T3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It wasn't until BC that we could properly tank, but only cuz people found a way to jerryrig things... We had to go about and get SP gear and Int gear and whatnot, while at the same time trying to keep our 490 defense rating. In some cases, we could do that by mixing resilience gear in lieu of defense gear.

Cema wrote:I never liked him. While he did some good he also did some terrible stuff.

That's incredibly unfair IMO. It is thanks to him that paladins got a shot at being viable tanks in the first place.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:27 am

And that's why I said he did some good. I see no problem here =)
User avatar
Cema
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:36 am

Klaudandus wrote:It wasn't until BC that we could properly tank, but only cuz people found a way to jerryrig things... We had to go about and get SP gear and Int gear and whatnot, while at the same time trying to keep our 490 defense rating. In some cases, we could do that by mixing resilience gear in lieu of defense gear.

I, for one, liked the +spell damage on gear. And even with defense rating, it was fun balancing things. Made me feel unique. I'm sure plenty of people felt it was tedious, but I really liked that it WAS tedious.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:I see, well what an asshole.


I mean, just look at the tier bonuses from T1 thru T3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It wasn't until BC that we could properly tank, but only cuz people found a way to jerryrig things... We had to go about and get SP gear and Int gear and whatnot, while at the same time trying to keep our 490 defense rating. In some cases, we could do that by mixing resilience gear in lieu of defense gear.


and pissing off all of the warlocks and mages in the raid when you rolled on the Leviathan's Fang or the Blade of Tempests :)
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:45 am

Well, I think the problem was more the mechanics we had no counter against, like Fears, that basically made Warrior a necessity in any given raid team.
There was ALWAYS a spot for a warrior tank in a given raid. Unless you were busy in MH, not so much for us (and even then, Druids were decent as well).

The rest of the system was good, if a bit counter-intuitive at times. I guess Defense and spell damage went out the window because a) it's dumb to penalize a player for having more of a stat, without him being clearly aware of it (Defense); and b) gearing shenanigans that made Tank weapons Warrior-only (see the soon-ending headache of Intelect Plate).
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Cema » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:52 am

I never felt that gearing during BC was so hard. Yes, our way of gearing was really curious but at the same time it gave me the feeling my character was pretty unique. In fact while it was a mess it was still quite fun.
User avatar
Cema
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:55 am

Sagara wrote:Well, I think the problem was more the mechanics we had no counter against, like Fears, that basically made Warrior a necessity in any given raid team.
There was ALWAYS a spot for a warrior tank in a given raid. Unless you were busy in MH, not so much for us (and even then, Druids were decent as well).

The rest of the system was good, if a bit counter-intuitive at times. I guess Defense and spell damage went out the window because a) it's dumb to penalize a player for having more of a stat, without him being clearly aware of it (Defense); and b) gearing shenanigans that made Tank weapons Warrior-only (see the soon-ending headache of Intelect Plate).


You know that it was more than that. In vanilla, paladins were glorified buff machines. Might as well give us a banjo or a guitar and call us a bard.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 am

Counterpoint:
Image
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:58 am

I personally have mixed feelings about BC gearing, although we were unique it was fucking annoying how our tier pieces until tier 6 were horrible compared to off-set pieces for survivability but the only way to increase threat outside of a weapon/spell caster shield.

I also have to say that I absolutely hated, nay loathed with a fucking passion that piece of shit lollipop from MH. I also loathed how I had to wear that horrible looking ZA badge gear for MONTHS in tier 6 because my guild was unlucky as hell with tier drops.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest