Remove Advertisements

Ghostcrawler Quits!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Ghostcrawler Quits!

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Well congrats to Ghostcrawler on his new opportunity. He did a great job, and frankly his entering the forums and engaging the community was, in my opinion, the single best decision made for the game.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arnock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:09 pm

He had a rough job, but he did it well.

I'm legitimately curious as to what kind of position could draw him away from Blizzard, there aren't any other big MMO's out there right now, incoming or current.

I wonder if it has more to do with him growing weary of his job at Blizz. It's got to wear on you, being the players' go-to scapegoat all of those years.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Maybe he decided to actually go back to marine biology?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:35 pm

Worldie wrote:Stupid people, obviously, who can't understand how GC's approach was the best WoW ever had so far.

Aye, especially for paladins after everything we endured in BC, all the trash talking, all the prejudice and insults he helped make paladins into a very appreciated class with all their specs.
Last edited by Io.Draco on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Io.Draco

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Io.Draco wrote:
Worldie wrote:Stupid people, obviously, who can't understand how GC's approach was the best WoW ever had so far.

Aye, especially for paladins after everything we endured in BC, all the trash talking, all the prejudice and insults he helped make paladins into a very appreciate class with all their specs.

This. I still have a seething rage towards Kaplan...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:15 pm

I never quite understood the hatred some paladins have towards Kaplan, after all I only started to give a fuck about blue posts in BC, perhaps someone would care to explain to me what he had done because apparently he was the fucking prick we had to blame for all we endured until Wrath.
Io.Draco

Postby Nordix » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:

Aye, especially for paladins after everything we endured in BC, all the trash talking, all the prejudice and insults he helped make paladins into a very appreciate class with all their specs.

This. I still have a seething rage towards Kaplan...

All my feelings there.
Nordix

Postby Incalcando » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I don't believe there is chance he found a better position for a better company than Blizzard, unless someone offered him an absurd amount of money that Blizzard just wouldn't match. I suspect that he's gonna move away from video game design and pursue some other career opportunity, who knows what.

All in all, I feel he was doing a great job with WoW, people who are saying 'good riddance' and stuff just have no fucking idea how hard it is to make a game as balanced as WoW is right now. Sure, it's not flawless, but it's pretty damn good.
Incalcando

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Io.Draco wrote:I never quite understood the hatred some paladins have towards Kaplan, after all I only started to give a fuck about blue posts in BC, perhaps someone would care to explain to me what he had done because apparently he was the fucking prick we had to blame for all we endured until Wrath.

Kaplan started as Tigole in Everquest, so did Alex Afrasiabi and Rob Pardo. They were hired because they ran this huge guild there.

At one point, Kaplan actually caused an EQ server crash because he was not happy that paladins could tank as well as warriors in that game.

For all of Vanilla and most of BC, the design philosophy was that Hybrids were penalized for being hybrids (you know, hybrid tax?)

Paladins and Druids were designed faulty off the bat because of those preconceived ideas, even tho they were supposed to fill several rolls.

There was also a sort of feedback loop between one of the top warrior tanks (possibly top worlwide), Kungen, back in the day, making assertions about Prot Warriors should be the only tanks in the game.

So you had the top tank trying to keep the other classes down, and the lead designer that had an inherent bias against hybrids and other classes that could tank other than warriors and you have a recipe for disaster.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Paxen » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:39 am

Ghostcrawler moved WoW away from the idea that a class could only do one thing, and that certain things could only be done by one class. That concept was horrible in a game where it takes several days to make a new character.

For that, and probably several other things, wow players should be eternally grateful to him.
Paxen

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 am

Arnock wrote:He had a rough job, but he did it well.

I'm legitimately curious as to what kind of position could draw him away from Blizzard, there aren't any other big MMO's out there right now, incoming or current.

Star Citizen?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:19 am

Let's also not forget he used to do RTS. So, a change of game type is not impossible.

Still, despite the crapper playerbase, I always felt the Blizzard "attitude" was one of the best there was. I'm heavily suspecting if he went for anything, it's going to be very, *very* high on the totem pole, and a safe bet to boot.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:29 am

Well, you don't leave "Lead Systems Designer for World of Warcraft at Blizzard Entertainment" for a low-rung job.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:02 am

Yeah, I'm thinking Executive-level stuff, either for an entire product or line of products.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:38 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:I never quite understood the hatred some paladins have towards Kaplan, after all I only started to give a fuck about blue posts in BC, perhaps someone would care to explain to me what he had done because apparently he was the fucking prick we had to blame for all we endured until Wrath.

Kaplan started as Tigole in Everquest, so did Alex Afrasiabi and Rob Pardo. They were hired because they ran this huge guild there.

At one point, Kaplan actually caused an EQ server crash because he was not happy that paladins could tank as well as warriors in that game.

For all of Vanilla and most of BC, the design philosophy was that Hybrids were penalized for being hybrids (you know, hybrid tax?)

Paladins and Druids were designed faulty off the bat because of those preconceived ideas, even tho they were supposed to fill several rolls.

There was also a sort of feedback loop between one of the top warrior tanks (possibly top worlwide), Kungen, back in the day, making assertions about Prot Warriors should be the only tanks in the game.

So you had the top tank trying to keep the other classes down, and the lead designer that had an inherent bias against hybrids and other classes that could tank other than warriors and you have a recipe for disaster.

I see, well what an asshole.
Io.Draco

PreviousNext

Return to General