Remove Advertisements

Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Amirya » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Worldie the Shiny-Breaker?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:53 pm

I havent broken any shiny.... yet!
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Worldie wrote:But but my shinies.

On a side note, there's going to be 2 legendaryes in the next exp, one similar to cloaks (aka, accessible to anyone), and one "harder to get", presumably that will require at least heroic clear if not mythic kills.

Link? I'm curious. I think the cloak was rather horrible, personally. I guess they liked it enough to introduce a second.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 am

Multiple difficulty levels seems to be working just fine for Blizzard, although they're still tweaking and refining -- much to their credit and betterment of their game. You'll have to provide some support for your blanket assertion to be convincing.

Oh is it now? Did the game not stagnate in terms of subscribers during Wrath of the Lich King where they both introduced the idiotic notion of 10/25 man modes as well as heroic modes, because it did at 11.5 million.

Did subscriber numbers not fall down by a massive margin in Cataclysm after introduction of LFR? They did.

So the system "working" for Blizzard is not true at all actually. Make all the arguments you wish about the game being old and all that but the truth is no other MMO offers the same experience that WoW does right, nor is any other MMO as good as WOW: GW2 had potential but failed due to lack of a solid PvE end game.

us that do normal/flex/LFR arent taking a dam thing away from you.

The system is taking away a lot from us, more so then some might realize. The joy of raiding is not, I repeat is not, just facing a challenge for a hardcore raider. It's entering the instance and getting that bridge open to Lady Vashj. It's killing the Illidari Council and seeing Akama open that door to Illidan, it's playing chess with Medivh and summoning Nightbane.

It's experiencing the zone, listening to music, coming face to face with the bosses for the first time, killing them with your guild shouting in the background and getting their loot that looks cool.

That experience is seriously damaged by difficulty modes: Loot is made meaningless anyway with transmog and if you are intending to raid heroic then you have already experienced the atmosphere, soundtrack, bosses and their dialogue many times over in normal already.

All that is left is that challenge and that nerd experience with the guild.

That is why a large number of hardcore raiders left during Wrath, people who had done significant chunks of Sunwell or some of it before 3.0. I saw entire guilds made up of hardcore raiders just be destroyed either prior to Ulduar's launch or shortly after the launch...because clearing an instance like Ulduar in a few days and then having to face the heroic bosses for the fun factor was not appealing to a large number of people.
Io.Draco

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:39 am

So what you're saying is the people you're arguing for all broke up and quit already six years ago? Why would Blizzard need to cater now for people who left because of changes in WotLK?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 am

It was an example of how Blizzard's glorious raiding changes made so many people quit during Wrath when they introduced this abominable system, a number of people came back for Cataclysm after buying into Blizzard's promises but then quit again. Myself being one of them.

I'll admit it: I enjoyed the shit out of Cataclysm until defeating every boss on normal difficulty and then I stopped because there was nothing left to do.

Without something to really shoot for as in BC there is no real reason for PvE players to stay and continue playing. You can just come in, play for about 1-2 months, level up, do normals then heroics then LFR and get to see every single boss in the game as well as every single raid instance.

There is no real incentive for people to become better, or to tackle heroic raiding unless they care about just the challenge and maybe if they have a guild with people they can enjoy playing. The latter being a strong reason for those in a guild they enjoy being to continue playing.

What made BC great was NOT the challenge in itself ( and just for the record any heroic raid right now can piss on all the raids of BC except for Sunwell in terms of challenge ), it was having six, yes SIX, individual separate raids at the launch of the expansion with 3 more added throughout. Was Tier 5 buggy as shit when the game came out? Yes. Was Hyjal unfinished? Yes, but at least you had that to shoot for and it took a long time for average players to reach BT and Hyjal let alone finish them.
Io.Draco

Postby Paxen » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 am

So basically you want a challenge, but you're not motivated by that challenge. You're motivated by a desire to see the scenery and experience the story. That's a pretty big disconnect, and Blizzard knew it was unsustainable. WoW peaked at the launch of Cata - your "return to the glory days" period of early Cataclysm was when the decline finally set in. It continued to grow all through the despicable Wrath expac that made raiding accessible.

You say there's no reason for people to become better unless they care about the challenge - I think that's great. This isn't work. If you want to face challenges and overcome them, the game has plenty. If you want to see the world and live the story, it's not limited to those who wish to dedicate hours and weeks and months to improving their skill at a video game.
Paxen

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:29 am

That's a pretty big disconnect, and Blizzard knew it was unsustainable.

Maybe, or maybe Blizzard thought it could be lazy and get away it with: Just look at Wrath launch raids. Also that "unsustainable" model worked well for BC where they went from 8 million to 11 million active subs in the course of the expansion.

It continued to grow all through the despicable Wrath expac that made raiding accessible.

Untrue actually. Several months before Wrath launched the game had 11 million active subscribers, as Wrath came closer to release the game reached 11.5 million and then that number STAGNATED during the course of the entire expansion, the only point where the game reached 12 million was just a few months before the launch of Cataclysm because of returning players like myself and the launch of Wrath in China.

Then numbers dropped in the first quarter of 2011, was it because Cataclysm was too hard or was it perhaps that hardcore players didn't like the game? It's worth noting that the majority of the subscriber losses were from Asia, by Blizzard's own statements, and the average Asian player is a lot more hardcore then the average EU player let alone US players.

If you want to see the world and live the story, it's not limited to those who wish to dedicate hours and weeks and months to improving their skill at a video game.

You somehow say that as if there was never any content during BC designed for people that didn't want to dedicate hours and weeks to improve their skills. I call bullshit on that.

Oh sure there was no scenarios, but there were plenty of epic quest lines throughout the Burning Crusade that did not require raiding. Garrosh quest line anyone? Cipher of Damnation? Just as some examples.
Io.Draco

Postby Nooska » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 am

Io.Draco wrote:
Multiple difficulty levels seems to be working just fine for Blizzard, although they're still tweaking and refining -- much to their credit and betterment of their game. You'll have to provide some support for your blanket assertion to be convincing.

Oh is it now? Did the game not stagnate in terms of subscribers during Wrath of the Lich King where they both introduced the idiotic notion of 10/25 man modes as well as heroic modes, because it did at 11.5 million.

Did subscriber numbers not fall down by a massive margin in Cataclysm after introduction of LFR? They did.

Repeat after me.
Correlation does not equal causation.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:27 am

Repeat after me.

Oh absolutely I must have just imagined the thousands upon thousands of BT/MH/SWP raiders quitting after Wrath came along right? Absolutely!

If you have another real argument then please go ahead and offer it for why sub numbers stagnated throughout Wrath, I would be very eager to hear it.
Io.Draco

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:36 am

I don't think Blizzard would consider maintaining their peak subscriber numbers across the course of an expansion "stagnation". It's hard to get much bigger than WoW was around then.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Incalcando » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:43 am

Io.Draco wrote:
Repeat after me.

Oh absolutely I must have just imagined the thousands upon thousands of BT/MH/SWP raiders quitting after Wrath came along right? Absolutely!

If you have another real argument then please go ahead and offer it for why sub numbers stagnated throughout Wrath, I would be very eager to hear it.

Please name me a game that has continued to grow their playerbase throughout a 10-year span. Every game gets old and boring to people and reaches its peak at some point or another. I keep playing because I enjoy the raiding content and as long as there is a thriving competitive scene with many good guilds competing in the world ranks, I will will continue to keep playing. Also I play because of my friends in this game. If I didn't have those, I would most likely have moved on to a more modern game. Why? Cause that's what I have done with every single other game I've ever played, NOTHING has keep me playing it, let alone paying for it monthly for almost 9 years now...

Yeah, wow exploded through BC cause it was still kind of a new game... And then it declined because a) Cata was kinda crap (not the raiding in it, the raiding was actually kinda great) in terms of things to do outside raids (the fact that we did not go to a new continent didn't help either) and b) people got bored of it after years upon years of playing.

You seriously seem to talk as if WoW is an exception of a game that nobody ever gets bored of after so many years and people only quit because of changes made in an activity the majority of the population doesn't even anticipate in. Trust me, if it was only raiders who were quitting, we wouldn't even be feeling the sub drops.
Incalcando

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:59 am

Indeed, early Cataclysm catered pretty well to higher end raiders - the more likely losses came from people who didn't raid and didn't like both the more difficult Heroic dungeons and the lack of max level content for non-raiders. They've been working to fix that problem ever since, keeping the high end raiding around where it was and building things for the lower end (and middle) to do.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Ruldar » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:44 am

As an LFR/Flex casual, it is amazing how much of a damn I don't give that the experience of heroic raiders is apparently lessened by a version of their special content being available to me.

It's also hilarious how much LFR = Sub Loss is taken as a given without the slightest shred of proof.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 am

The losses by Blizzard's mouth came from Asia, not the EU or US. Also I will agree that raiding was not as good as some claim it was in Cataclysm, and yes I was there for the launch.

I loved Cataclysm until we got to heroic mode raiding and then I just lost interest, and I was not alone: Most guilds did not care about Heroic Raiding, it's not that they couldn't do it: Seriously the notion of so few guilds being able to handle Halfus after doing Al'Akir normal was ridiculous.

Incalcando: World of Warcraft is in many ways an exception, to this day it maintains the highest sub numbers of any MMO with that business model. In terms of single games I don't think there is any that you can compare to WoW however there are games franchises that can be compared WoW, examples would be Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls. What you can say about CoD especially is that while every new game in the series feels mostly the same and is mostly the same the success of the series has only grown with every game and the sales of these games, and yet it has barely changed.

Still it has grown and so has the Elder Scrolls series.

My argument as to why people are not staying is because there is a lack of high end of content that you can only access through continous play as BT/MH/SWP were in BC or Naxx/AQ/BWL in Vanilla. It's easy to look at it from the eyes of an old player but look back at what motivated you to get into raiding in the first place.

As an LFR/Flex casual, it is amazing how much of a damn I don't give that the experience of heroic raiders is apparently lessened by a version of their special content being available to me

What you ignore is why many people became raiders and then hardcore raiders in the first place in WoW, it was because of the experience of raiding was only available if you had the time/skill/knowledge to defeat bosses ( especially in TBC ).

Explain to me why exactly does the game need to destroy the possibly of having that same experience for new players or returning/old players by giving to unskilled/casual players? Why can we not have a system were such players have normal dungeons that then teach them to tackle heroics dungeons which then teach them to tackle raids while casuals get scenarios/daily quests hubs and epic quest chains available outside of raiding?
Io.Draco

PreviousNext

Return to General