Remove Advertisements

Warlords of Draenor

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Postby Kai » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:49 am

Worldie wrote:The problem of disc priests isn't the fact they add some dps.

huh? I know for a fact with our current tactic (get him to 10% in phase 2 before 2nd intermission starts, get him to 0 in phase 3 before the 2nd emp whirl), we could NOT kill garrosh heroic with 2 non-dps healers in the raid. I only checked the first three kills, but I'm willing to bet a good amount of money that none of the first 50 garrosh 10 heroic kills were done without at least 1 dps-healer (or just 1 healer, 2 tanks, 7 dps, but certainly no 2 real healers). on our kill the disc priest did 59m dmg. the off tank did 122m. that's not exactly a trivial amount.

The smart healing part is a bit annoying, but honestly, I don't really care for my personal healing meter/ranking. as long as no one dies and we beat the encounter, I'm happy enough. and that's all that does, at least I never felt in any encounter as a holy paladin that I was useless in any way. sure, there's some encounters were class X is great and then in encounter Y, something else makes it a bit easier. but I thought overall healing balancing was decent, even shamans were pretty useful in this tier and they got the stick for a few years straight in 10 men.

but that disc + mistweaver can do the same job while doing a very reasonable amount of dps is irritating. I love the idea of making nuking useful. healers should try to get as many nukes in as possible. if some guy does 200k HPS and 0 DPS and another 150k HPS and 50 DPS, the second guy is clearly a better and more useful player for his raid group, as long as no one dies.
but while I want getting as much dmg in as possible to be rewarded, it's just idiotic if it's on par with another healer 'just' healing. that doesn't make any sense to me.
Kai

Postby Worldie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:19 am

I disagree. If you have one guy that does 200k HPS and 0 DPS, and one that does 150k HPS and 50k DPS, which one would fit more would depend on raid comp and performance: a raid which is worse at avoiding damage but has strong dps would prefer the first, while a raid with lower dps but better "stand out of fire" skill would prefer the second.

The problem is that Disc and Mistweaver do BOTH 200k HPS and 50k DPS without losing anything and with usually less overhealing than other healers. They would need a serious nerf to their throughtput, which is where my post is about. (note that Mistweavers are dependant on the legendary meta to fistweave effectively)

Mistweavers have already one "nerf/rework" announced, which is a Stance of the Crane dedicated to fistweaving, so they will have essentially both the strong healer without dps, and medium healer with added dps available and will be able to change accordingly.

The change to smart healing (which is huge) should on his own nerf Disc throughtput significantly. Will be curious to see what else they are bringing to the table on that matter.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Worldie wrote:Think of Hyjal trashs, which is essentially the last remotely challenging trash we had in game.

It was very fun at start, expecially with a prot pala. You needed other tanks to carefully peel abominations, interrupt casters, eventually CC some aboms, etc.

The problem with Hyjal is that it came in waves. You can't do much to control the pace - often you're standing around waiting for the next one, or you're stressed because it's here too soon. Much better that the players are the ones that are moving, but this requires more space (and thus, more art).

edit: The other part is that you get trash "on farm" a lot earlier than the bosses. I've always disliked farm raids, and farm trash is no better. Either they die quickly and it's fine, or they die slow and it's boring, or they don't die at all and it's just frustrating. The problem with all "easy" game play - if you complete it it's just expected, if you fail it's frustrating.
Paxen

Postby Worldie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Biggest problem with trash is that it offers no reward (aside from occasional rep or trash drop), so if you put in hard trash, you do a lot of work for essentially no reward.
Hard trash could have actual rewards, but then, what'd be the difference from a boss fight?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Kai » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:17 am

back in hyjal raids were also supposed to be hard, the normal difficulty was heroic. so they could tune trash according to what they expect from dedicated raiding groups. if they wanted to do heroic difficulty trash, they'd have to rework their raid difficulty changing system so that trash is connected to a boss and if you want to do the boss on heroic, you have to do the trash on heroic.
bit too much effort for a gimmick imo.
Kai

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:21 am

In fact they did say at Blizzcon that Mythic will have Mythic level trash as it's on a separate istance so they can tune it differently (while atm, you could in theory swap to normal, do trash, swap to heroic at boss)

They already have been tuning trash differently in LFR, Flex and Normal/heroic, so it does make sense to have dedicated Mythic trash.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:28 am

Worldie wrote:Biggest problem with trash is that it offers no reward (aside from occasional rep or trash drop), so if you put in hard trash, you do a lot of work for essentially no reward.
Hard trash could have actual rewards, but then, what'd be the difference from a boss fight?

My suggestion would be that hard trash gave you access to a boss that was easier and quicker than fights are nowadays. Kinda like a 5-man boss.
Paxen

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 am

That would mean basically redesigning wow completely, since it has always been centered about boss fights and trashs have always been just a timesink.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 am

Worldie wrote:That would mean basically redesigning wow completely, since it has always been centered about boss fights and trashs have always been just a timesink.

Yes. I know. And I've come to realize that I think that it's sad :(
Paxen

Postby theckhd » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 am

Kai wrote:if they wanted to do heroic difficulty trash, they'd have to rework their raid difficulty changing system so that trash is connected to a boss and if you want to do the boss on heroic, you have to do the trash on heroic.

So.... in other words exactly what they've announced they're doing last BlizzCon, then?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 am

theckhd wrote:
Kai wrote:if they wanted to do heroic difficulty trash, they'd have to rework their raid difficulty changing system so that trash is connected to a boss and if you want to do the boss on heroic, you have to do the trash on heroic.

So.... in other words exactly what they've announced they're doing last BlizzCon, then?

Worldie wrote:In fact they did say at Blizzcon that Mythic will have Mythic level trash as it's on a separate istance so they can tune it differently (while atm, you could in theory swap to normal, do trash, swap to heroic at boss)

They already have been tuning trash differently in LFR, Flex and Normal/heroic, so it does make sense to have dedicated Mythic trash.

Slow Theck! :twisted:

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 am

The reward for trash is getting to the next boss.

Making trash optional to make the boss easier to do would be very odd. Of course you want the boss to be easier, so you're going to kill the trash. Perhaps once you've overgeared the boss... But that makes it more like "You can skip the trash, but it'll make the boss harder.", kinda like Freya, but without the rewards.

I honestly don't mind tricky trash. Dull and repetitive trash that takes forever is what annoys me. For example, Shamans have a lot of trash, and it's all more or less the same kind of mobs, which mostly consist of focus interrupt/nuke the shadowmages, then AoE the rest down. Nazgrim also has a lot of trash, but it's all different packs, and actually allows you to learn part of the bossfight, which makes that trash more bearable. Though I consider it unfortunate that it's two bosses with a ton of trash in a row.

Scripted trash annoys me to no end, but then, I'm also really annoyed when you get that HC Scenario where you have to follow that panda woman around.

Anyhow, for the Paladin buffs, I remember reading a twitter where they were contemplating giving GoAK to prot, AW to ret and Divine Favor to holy, and buff the individual abilities to keep them in balance. One of the motivations behind it is that the Ret version of GoAK is pretty annoying for melee, having such a big animation in between all the other PCs and pets that are already there.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 am

WoD pre-order up.
lvl 90 boost up.
Warlords of Draenor is expected to release on or before 12/20/2014
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Newsom » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:43 am

Still no sign of beta. SoO is looking more and more like ICC.
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Amirya » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:17 am

Klaudandus wrote:Warlords of Draenor is expected to release on or before 12/20/2014

"We expect to release Warlords of Draenor sometime between now and the end of the year."
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General