Warlords of Draenor

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Disagree.

Can't wait until a lot of people spend thousand €/$ to level their chars, so Blizzard has more money to fuel the content I enjoy.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Worldie wrote:Disagree.

Can't wait until a lot of people spend thousand €/$ to level their chars, so Blizzard has more money to fuel the content I enjoy.

I like the way you think.
Besides, for us old geezers another 90 is what? A dozen hours?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby bldavis » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Sagara wrote:Besides, for us old geezers another 90 is what? A dozen hours?

amateurs... :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Archeth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Era wrote:
Worldie wrote:60 $ for a lvl boost is FAR too much, chineses ask for less and I'd still rather do the leveling myself :|

Too cheap in my opinion. I'd rather it be a thousand dollars so people would shun away from the feature.

What's the problem with that feature?
Archeth

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:42 pm

"OMG, noobs who don't know how to play are in my [insert end game thing here]!"

It'd almost be like how things currently are... except more money going to blizz...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Era wrote:
Worldie wrote:60 $ for a lvl boost is FAR too much, chineses ask for less and I'd still rather do the leveling myself :|

Too cheap in my opinion. I'd rather it be a thousand dollars so people would shun away from the feature.

You are greatly overestimating how many people will legitimately spend the money on this.
Teranoid

Postby Newsom » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 pm

It should be expensive. I guess they couldn't price it above ~$75 (the cost of buying a new account with WoD and then moving the characer) so this seems like a decent compromise.

Now I feel less bad about leveling 11 characters to 90 on my own time.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Kal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Won't buy, don't care.

I think it's a great move by Blizz though, since relevant content is what people play for, leveling is just a grind, yadda yadda. For people inclined to spend a bit extra, they get alts. More power to them, just learn your class.

Now about that learning the class thing, I think it's a terrible argument (not that anyone here made it, but it is out there) that any of these players would be at a disadvantage due to being boosted, not just considering respeccing at max level, but also considering that raiding/pvp at max is so totally different than questing or dungeon grinding, it's just not an issue. So, more power to them.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Era » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 am

To me it's more an ideological issue than a practical one. It's a "pay to win" feature (by my definition something that gives an unfair advantage to someone who can't buy it), and while practically, sure, there might not be any serious ramifications (not that much to win other than time), I just don't approve. When I hear how many alts some people on this forum have leveled, I cant help but think "Hey, good job". That'll be gone. As for the "lack of skill" issue, well, to some degree it surely is going to affect LFR and dugeons? Besides, this game has got enough micro transactions as it is, for a game with a subscription.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:18 am

Teranoid wrote:
Era wrote:

You are greatly overestimating how many people will legitimately spend the money on this.

You greatly underestimate how much money most of the playerbase has to spend. Just think of the success of the in-game store for completely useless stuff (just cosmetic).
The amount of "kids with daddy's cc" is enormous, and so is the amount of people who have no financial awareness as they have someone else payin their bills.

I think Blizzard will make a ton of money from the boost service, and tbh, I don't care.
The whole "omg we'll get noobs in whatever end game puggable content" doesn't really stand, because even now that you can't skip the leveling, there's still people in SoO LFR (so 496 ilvl) who can't break 40k dps. People with second last tier who can't do more damage or healing than a lvl 85 character. And they did the whole leveling.
Leveling doesn't teach anything to the player because it's so easy that you can go away with autoattacking as mage. Even in leveling istances, mobs are so weak and die so fast that you can complete them without a tank and healer, so group play is also not teached to a leveler.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 am

The problem is that if they boost the price up more, it starts to become more effective to buy a 2nd account, get a free 90 on the second account, and then move that character over to the first account.

Obviously, they don't want to keep all these extra accounts in their database, hence they make it slightly cheaper to do it a lot easier.

I personally had expected it to be cheaper than a big whopping 60 dollars, but then, I never planned on buying the feature, only use the free option once, and basically for professions/another garrison.

To summarize about WoD:

- Both the Digital Collector's Edition and the Physical Collector's Edition will include and extra mount and pet.

- Any version will include a single free boost to 90. You can boost any character, including a new level 1 alt. If the character is level 60 or higher, you gain a veteran bonus, which boosts your primary professions as well. Rumor has it that they'll go all the way up to 300 for a level 60 character, but I haven't seen this being confirmed yet. It might scale with level.

- When you digitally prepurchase either the base or the digital collector's edition, you'll get both perks (free mount and pet, and the level 90 boost) immediately, rather than when WoD is released.

- They said they had plans for supporting the physical boxes somehow in this way, though no details for them have been confirmed. One way they could do this is by letting you buy the digital version, and when you get your physical box, you upgrade to your physical version, and the money that you spent on the digital version will go towards your subscription fee.
Last edited by Thels on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Thels » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:15 am

Era wrote:It's a "pay to win" feature (by my definition something that gives an unfair advantage to someone who can't buy it),

I disagree there, considering it's a boost to 90 with what, 483 gear? If it was a boost to 100, or say a boost to 90 with 530 gear, I could see your point, but it's not.

It's a "Pay to catch up". MoP has been out for ages, so getting your character to level 90 is certainly not the hot stuff. ToT LFR, HC Scenarios and Timeless all drop better gear than the greens your new toon gets stuffed in. You aren't getting anything that you couldn't have already gotten for ages with some very casual play.

It allows you to look at a different class, and get a feel for how those classes play at endgame level without first having to go through 90 levels that are in no way representable to how the character will feel at end game content.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Era » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 am

I'm just gonna quote in the rest of my quote, so I don't get misunderstood. :P
I agree that it's not a big deal, but you still pay to get something that other people have to spend time and effort to achieve.

Era wrote:To me it's more an ideological issue than a practical one. It's a "pay to win" feature (by my definition something that gives an unfair advantage to someone who can't buy it), and while practically, sure, there might not be any serious ramifications (not that much to win other than time), I just don't approve.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 am

It's also, incidentally, "pay for achievement".
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Newsom » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 am

Thels wrote:Rumor has it that they'll go all the way up to 300 for a level 60 character, but I haven't seen this being confirmed yet. It might scale with level.

They went up to 600 for both professions on the PTR afaik.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

PreviousNext

Return to General