Remove Advertisements

Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for WoW

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for

Postby Thels » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:56 am

That's not an exact figure, as a decent portion of the market doesn't go by subscription (Some (or all?) of the Asian market).

But yeah, with 7.7 million subscribers, that's a lot of guaranteed income. It will be pretty hard to attract so many new players who will invest so massively into the shop.

Of course they're considering their options, but I don't see them flipping the switch until the playerbase drops way lower than it currently is. Under 2 million at least, if not lower.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:00 am

Asian market is still by subscription, just they pay per hour rather than per month as far as I know.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:11 am

Pay per hour is not exactly a subscription, is it? If it is, then my English is failing on me again.

Either way, since they pay by hour and not as a fixed monthly fee, the end results will vary somewhat. It's not going to make a major difference, though.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Teranoid » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 am

I wonder if there be a premium option that allows me to be segregated from the inevitable influx of braindead idiots that will plague this game if it happens.
Teranoid

Postby Lieris » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:32 am

Worldie wrote:Remember that taking off the subscription is going to take off 7kk+13€ per month = 91 million euros per month of income.

That's not a small amount, and it has to come from something else. Losing 91 millions per month would mean having to dramatically reduce the people that work on WoW.

They are not making 91m a month on subscription money.

[insert explanation of Asian "subscription" models here and a note that buying any kind of game time whether it's one month, the full three months or just one hour in a given quarter counts as being a WoW subscriber]
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:34 am

Teranoid wrote:I wonder if there be a premium option that allows me to be segregated from the inevitable influx of braindead idiots that will plague this game if it happens.

I don't think the subscription system has been insulating you from that. :p That ship sailed some time ago.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 am

Teranoid wrote:I wonder if there be a premium option that allows me to be segregated from the inevitable influx of braindead idiots that will plague this game if it happens.

It's called leaving general chat and only doing things with your guild.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:07 am

Sadly if you have an actually active game life, you can't pester the guild everytime you want to do a 5 men or LFR :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby cdan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 am

I am looking forward to wielding the Sacred Coca Cola Can Mace of Menacing Vengeance that I bought from the Blizzard shop. Will go well with the red and white stripes on my Colgate Whitening Gel Shield of Tartar Protection.

All hail Corporate Sponsorship.
cdan

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:18 am

Lieris wrote:[insert explanation of Asian "subscription" models here and a note that buying any kind of game time whether it's one month, the full three months or just one hour in a given quarter counts as being a WoW subscriber]

They also need to have been logged in to the game within 30 days of the reporting date.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:21 am

From the recent dev interviews

The team size has increased 40% and another 40% increase is planned, which will hopefully allow for a new content patch every month, a new raid tier every three to five months, and an annual expansion.

That is the perfect system for a "Buy To Play" model. $50 base game and expansion cost, $5/$10 small content patches, $10/$20 raid content ones.

Combine that with the new in game store and you can unlock it any time you want from within the game.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Paxen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:41 pm

I'd love it if WoW went Buy to Play.

Pay for content, not random bonuses and cosmetic stuff.
Paxen

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Problem is, at that point people would start demanding to be able to complete the content they paid for.

I pay for MoP? Then I want to clear full hc even if I can't press 2 buttons.

Remember that the huge majority of the player base if composed by lazy bads.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:09 pm

I've noticed no such thing in the Secret World, at least. People are proud that Nightmare 5-mans are actually hard.

Granted, the game is way less faceroll-friendly from the start.
Paxen

Postby Arnock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Not so sure that players will demand to complete ALL content.

Most games have an easy/normal/hard/insane type modes, and now Wow has gone that way with LFR/flex/normal/heroic.

Prettymuch any average faceroller can see all of the content, just not at the highest difficulty model.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to General