Remove Advertisements

Maintankadin Anti-virus Page

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Maintankadin Anti-virus Page

Postby Belloc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm

So, occasionally, when I try to view this site at work, I'll get a page informing me that my network has, in the past, been infected with a virus or something. It has a generic captcha thing going on and a space for comments. Normally, I'd think that something fishy was up, but my job does tend to receive network attacks and viruses on occasion, so the page displayed actually makes sense.

Long story short, I'm under the impression that it's a legitimate page. It's not asking for any information, it's not running any scripts on my machine, it's just an "information" page of sorts that gives no reason to suggest it isn't legitimate... and I hate it.

Lately the page hasn't been showing up. Today, however, it came back. Filling in the captcha field didn't allow me access to Maintankadin. It just kept resetting.

So, some questions:

First, is this page legitimate? If not, then why am I not seeing it on any of the numerous other sites I visit?
Second, if it is legitimate, can you please, pretty please, get rid of it? It's currently broken and it's always annoying.

Finally, has anyone else been seeing this? I can't provide a screen cap because, well, I haven't taken one. But you'll know it if you see it.
Belloc

Re: Maintankadin Anti-virus Page

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Belloc

I have not personally seen or heard of anyone else seeing a page like that. If your network has been attacked and was used to launch attacks, I can see how it may have been blacklisted and sites referencing those sorts of lists may require a CAPTCHA like method to verify that there is a real person browsing.

That said, I have no idea if our site uses any of those services. Aergis and Sabin would know, and you can send them a PM with the details for the best odds of getting a response.

If anyone else is seeing this screen (or has a screen shot of it) please let us know here.

Fridmarr
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Return to General