Remove Advertisements

Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Postby Lieris » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I wonder if in the MMO genre (has the subscription model ever really been tried in other genres?), that the subscription is dead because WoW essentially has it on lockdown, or if it is simply no longer a viable model at all?

I think it's both. During Classic/TBC/WOTLK absolutely had it on lockdown because the other MMOs were lacklustre and nobody was doing the F2P thing right; F2P was considered garbage or throwaway and millions of people were okay with paying for a premium experience. That's no longer the case as LOL is massive and even Valve are trying out F2P with Team Fortress 2. COD has a subscription service but it's only optional. I think that folk are used to the idea of F2P now and it no longer has the stigma it once had.

I think at this point what premium subscription services and in-game purchases WoW could offer is a more interesting discussion than whether or not they go F2P (something I view as inevitable if the game continues to decline).
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Oh I agree that it's likely inevitable at some point, that seems to be the pattern, though it may not be for some time yet. And yes, it would be an interesting discussion on how WoW could monetize the game in a F2P model. I was just curious if the thought was that there really won't be subscription based games anymore, or with WoW out of the picture (or not nearly as popular as it is even now) if there is room for that model to still be successful.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:25 pm

One of the biggest difference (imo) between F2p and sub in the past is that F2p tended to attract mostly kids and immature people who couldnt afford the sub, while sub was played mostly by "mature" people.

This is no longer the case though as I often find people under 18 playing WoW (which is tecnically forbidden afaik)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby samsara » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Worldie wrote:One of the biggest difference (imo) between F2p and sub in the past is that F2p tended to attract mostly kids and immature people who couldnt afford the sub, while sub was played mostly by "mature" people.

This is no longer the case though as I often find people under 18 playing WoW (which is tecnically forbidden afaik)

Wow is rated teen afaik so you are allowed to play it from 12+ , we don't take members <18 anyway and the average age in our guild is probably somewhere around 28-30 so i don't get much in contact with younger ppl ... on the other side i wouldn't call our rooster "mature" without smiling :D
samsara

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 am

Well pugging felt much less horrible back in vanilla / tbc.

But then, maybe it was also because you weren't expecting other random people met in /4 to be heroic raiders back then.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:47 am

Also back then there was social accountability to your actions - today, most people can get their kicks from non-accountable possibilities like LFR and LFD if they get too bad a rep, or they can just servertransfer.

@Lieris; I'll agree to disagree, and leave it there.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby samsara » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 am

<3 would love some sort of rating system, so you can see douchebags and avoid inviting them into pugs

i liked the system of openraid in cata but had some bad expiriences in mop with openraid (maybe because it's growing popularity) and don't use it anymore.
samsara

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 am

Fridmarr wrote:Oh I agree that it's likely inevitable at some point, that seems to be the pattern, though it may not be for some time yet. And yes, it would be an interesting discussion on how WoW could monetize the game in a F2P model. I was just curious if the thought was that there really won't be subscription based games anymore, or with WoW out of the picture (or not nearly as popular as it is even now) if there is room for that model to still be successful.

I think that Bungie (Destiny) and Blizzard (Titan) not using a mandatory subscription for their new games is a sign that it has very much run its course for this gaming generation. If they don't feel that they can fill the vacuum WoW leaves behind then probably nobody can.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelerei » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 am

Worldie wrote:This is no longer the case though as I often find people under 18 playing WoW (which is tecnically forbidden afaik)

The game has a 13 age restriction here (we get the EU version).

Semi-related: I've got quite a large age-group spread in my 10-man group -- the youngest is 16, the oldest 58.
Kelerei

Postby benebarba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:41 am

Kelerei wrote:
Worldie wrote:This is no longer the case though as I often find people under 18 playing WoW (which is tecnically forbidden afaik)

The game has a 13 age restriction here (we get the EU version).

Semi-related: I've got quite a large age-group spread in my 10-man group -- the youngest is 16, the oldest 58.

I think in the US all that is required legally is that the 'use by minors' clause is satisfied. The ESRB rating of teen states it is suitable for 13+ while I believe the subscription technically requires an 18+ person to OK it.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:54 am

Worldie wrote:Well pugging felt much less horrible back in vanilla / tbc.

But then, maybe it was also because you weren't expecting other random people met in /4 to be heroic raiders back then.

I actually wonder (since I wasn't around then) about this, among other colorful recollections of the by-gone glory days.

Did the community at large just eventually become adverse to players still learning the ropes, and players who simply weren't as skilled? Or is it more of selective memories? Maybe both? I mean, I hear plenty of stories about how all the dungeon groups were T3h Aw3som3, and how everyone in heroics was uber leet. But I don't hear many stories like 'yeah, we took this new tank on who didn't know what they were doing and helped them out'.

Sadly, I have nothing to compare to, since I joined well after LFD was introduced in Wrath and had plenty of absolutely horrid experiences in it as a new tank... so to me, the game experience has always been finding the decent, patient and fun folk amongst the trolls and haters, and then finding ways to avoid the trolls and haters. But somehow I can't imagine these folks were a new phenomenon.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 am

benebarba wrote:
Worldie wrote:Well pugging felt much less horrible back in vanilla / tbc.

I actually wonder (since I wasn't around then) about this, among other colorful recollections of the by-gone glory days.

Did the community at large just eventually become adverse to players still learning the ropes, and players who simply weren't as skilled? Or is it more of selective memories? Maybe both? I mean, I hear plenty of stories about how all the dungeon groups were T3h Aw3som3, and how everyone in heroics was uber leet. But I don't hear many stories like 'yeah, we took this new tank on who didn't know what they were doing and helped them out'.

Sadly, I have nothing to compare to, since I joined well after LFD was introduced in Wrath and had plenty of absolutely horrid experiences in it as a new tank... so to me, the game experience has always been finding the decent, patient and fun folk amongst the trolls and haters, and then finding ways to avoid the trolls and haters. But somehow I can't imagine these folks were a new phenomenon.

It's also different demographics in the game now, some with less social skills, and less experience with other "social" gaming. I think folks who grew up in the days of D&D and LAN parties were a bit better socially-wise in WoW, since in their prior gaming you could get punched if you were a troll in game.. :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 am

halabar wrote:It's also different demographics in the game now, some with less social skills, and less experience with other "social" gaming. I think folks who grew up in the days of D&D and LAN parties were a bit better socially-wise in WoW, since in their prior gaming you could get punched if you were a troll in game.. :D

Yeah, it is actually pretty interesting how hard a time 'that guy' can have finding a D&D group that will actually let them play with them. I've seen plenty of folks politely not invited back ;)
benebarba

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 am

Your reputation was also highly at stake. If you were a dps and got blackballed for being a giant dick in groups (whether it be your attitude, your dps, your social skills, your ninja skills or whether or not you just left a group whenever you damn well felt like it) then you suffered the repercussions of seeing your name get shot down all over Trade for your bad behaviour. Which meant you were going to have a pretty hard time finding groups. Now? People can do whatever the fuck they like because it will have no bearing whatsoever on them getting a dungeon group run the next time they queue up for RDF or LFR.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 am

Yep if you had a horrible reputation in Classic/TBC, you weren't ever going to get a group. Certain people were pariahs on their realms and everyone had them on their ignore lists. This kept people in line pretty well and helped regulate AFKing, ninja looting, sabotage and bad manners because everyone knew the consequences of such behaviour. I am not saying it didn't happen at all but you had the means to pay them back for that ten fold as everyone read the realm forums and word of mouth spread very quickly.

I liked having a huge friend list of people who weren't in my guild but who I enjoyed doing dungeons with. It was a very social experience. Some people will moan about having to wait too long for groups but that was more to do with a lack of tanks than anything else and these days there are a lot more of them out there and they are a lot easier to play.

I had a great experience as a new tank in TBC because I was the sort of person who read up stat and ability guides first and I guess I was the sort of gamer that early WoW was really aimed at. It was the same with DPSers in that there were a lot of them out there so almost everyone tried to get at least a rudimentary knowledge of their class because they knew if they didn't, they would struggle to get into groups.

You remove these consequences and it's inevitable that the general player base will be less social and be of poorer ability. It has also created a gulf in ability between the heroic raiders (whose raids are as hard if not harder than ever) and everyone else making the step up even more difficult which in turn makes it even harder for the heroic guilds to recruit as there isn't any new blood coming through.

tl;dr there should be consequences to being an arsehole and/or being terrible at the game but there aren't any in contemporary WoW thanks to LFD/LFR and this has destroyed the community especially on a server level.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General