Remove Advertisements

Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 am

Breaking news people get tired of playing almost 9 year old video game.

In a related story: Who fucking cares? I will never understand why people are so infatuated with all of this about sub losses and "hurr wow is dying" and all this bullshit.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 am

Worldie wrote:People who quit will always come back at the next expansion... ;)

The one raid that I would have done anything to be a part of (Killing Garrosh), Brawler's Guild, and a few other things were all "Shoju! Come Back! We made this JUST FOR YOU!" Type moments this expac.

I wavered once, and thought about coming back.

And then I just didn't. I've been gone 13 months. My guild was absorbed by another guild. There is no coming back for me at this point.

Guess I missed the part where Nika Quit.... Wow. Figured you and Invis were in it to win it... so to speak.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 am

Teranoid wrote:Breaking news people get tired of playing almost 9 year old video game.

In a related story: Who fucking cares? I will never understand why people are so infatuated with all of this about sub losses and "hurr wow is dying" and all this bullshit.

That's easy, to justify their own choices, and reassure themselves that they are doing fine without their fix. :lol:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:13 am

halabar wrote:
Teranoid wrote:Breaking news people get tired of playing almost 9 year old video game.

That's easy, to justify their own choices, and reassure themselves that they are doing fine without their fix. :lol:

but strangely, it seems that a big number of the vocal doomsayers seem to be that guy who's sitting on his porch talking about how the neighborhood's gone to hell because of those people over there across the street, but they sure as heck ain't going to leave because those other neighborhoods suck too.
benebarba

Postby Amirya » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:14 am

Shoju wrote:Guess I missed the part where Nika Quit.... Wow. Figured you and Invis were in it to win it... so to speak.

I believe Invis actually quit before Nika did.

My feeling is that, progressively, there is less and less WOW! moments in the game anymore. I'm not bothering with the legendary chain anymore, because it wasn't something I cared about. I've actually sunk low enough to play Wowkemon now, and that shit irritates me.

Mostly, my WOW! moments in the game are usually in reference to most of my guildmates (barring a few that I do enjoy, it's mostly "WOW! I figured <such and such> was more mature/responsible/communicative, and not such a douche/jerk/oblivious idiot").

Alas, I think my day is coming soon. But, I hope it comes after Nika returns! :mrgreen: (I jest!)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 am

benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:

but strangely, it seems that a big number of the vocal doomsayers seem to be that guy who's sitting on his porch talking about how the neighborhood's gone to hell because of those people over there across the street, but they sure as heck ain't going to leave because those other neighborhoods suck too.

Well, the justification works on both sides of the fence, that's why there was so much fire around Shoju's "why I'm quitting WoW (and you should too)" manifestos. :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Sagara wrote:Yeah, it's mostly curiosity, and some FUCKING way to shut "conspiracy theory" types up.

THERE IS ONLY ENOUGH STORY FOR ONE MORE EXPANSION AND THEN THEY ARE GOING TO SHUT DOWN WOW AND MAKE EVERYONE PLAY TITAN.

People are idiots.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 pm

I still wonder if I'm the only one who loves pokewow and think it's a great addition to the game!
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Worldie wrote:I still wonder if I'm the only one who loves pokewow and think it's a great addition to the game!

I really enjoy it.. other people probably would too if they weren't so busy proclaiming that it's the end of days for the ninth time in 3 years.
Teranoid

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Amirya wrote:
Shoju wrote:Guess I missed the part where Nika Quit.... Wow. Figured you and Invis were in it to win it... so to speak.

I believe Invis actually quit before Nika did.

Nope. We stopped raiding at the same time.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Worldie wrote:People who quit will always come back at the next expansion... ;)

I managed to skip cataclysm all together, came back about a month or 2 ago, and I'm probably going to drop off again soon.

There's nothing really compelling left in wow for me anymore.

I might come back for the siege of org content, just to see the conclusion of the whole garrosh storyline that's been brewing since wrath, but other than that... meh.

benebarba wrote:FWIW:
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

In short, it's not until 1Q 2009 that wow sees a drop in sub numbers period. It drops from 12 to 11.5 Million by 3Q 2009, goes back to 12 in 3Q 2010, then declines to the end of the chart at the end of 4Q 2011 (If I follow the graph right).

It'd be interesting to see a chart of EVE's subscribers, it still seems to be going strong despite its age.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby benebarba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:06 am

Arnock wrote:It'd be interesting to see a chart of EVE's subscribers, it still seems to be going strong despite its age.

500K as of earlier this year, apparently. And according to the chart below, it was essentially growing all the way up to 2012, with some fluctuations, but a generally rising trend.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

I imagine a large part of that has to do with the difference in gameplay as I understand it. I could see any game based on PVP action having much greater staying power even if it included a gear-grind... possibly even moreso if it didn't ala LOL or TF2...of course those last 2 are also F2P, so that itself sets up some differences.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 am

Worldie wrote:It's still asians. WoW is not good enough for Asia, hence why they making several shifts there.
Too much F2p competition seeing WoW is payed on hours there.

Apparently not, or at least not entirely:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/01/activ ... scriber-l/
benebarba

Postby Lieris » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 am

I wish they would break it down by revenue. A subscriber is defined as someone who buys any amount of game time during the quarter so someone in Korea might just buy 1 hour of game time and they would count the same as someone buying 20 hours a week, just like someone buying a 1 month game card in the west counts the same as someone who keeps a rolling 1 month subscription.

My hunch is that Classic/TBC/WOTLK revenue was considerably larger than what they are making on MOP. TBC was MASSIVELY delayed in Asia (by about 12-18 months IIRC) so the subscription numbers from back then are almost entirely using the $15~ a month payment model and I remember retention being extremely high.

WOTLK was a bit better and you started to see Korean and Taiwanese guilds make a name for themselves but again it took quite a while for mainland China to get the expansion. It wasn't until Cataclysm that release dates were concurrent worldwide but despite now being established in Asia (which they weren't at all in Classic and TBC) this the subscription numbers have continued to drop. You can't put a positive spin on this.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

benebarba wrote:
Worldie wrote:It's still asians. WoW is not good enough for Asia, hence why they making several shifts there.
Too much F2p competition seeing WoW is payed on hours there.

Apparently not, or at least not entirely:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/01/activ ... scriber-l/

"Blizzard is working on making returning to the game easier for players who have left."

Totally going about it wrong imo.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General