Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid!

Postby bldavis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 am

same here...and i didnt catch that they were separate lockouts...oh well

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 am

Gruck wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:If it meant I could finish the idiot collection quest RIGHT THE FUCK now, I would be all over that.
So true!

Nice one Gruck, nice one.. :lol:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 am

Sagara wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:If this goes well it would be interesting if they abolish established raid sizes entirely next expansion. Balancing becomes nontrivial, and I don't even want to think about the calculus raid leaders will have to do. "Okay if we bring +1 healer boss HP goes up too much so we need +1 dps, but then we can't hit benchmarks so we need to drop one person, but then we have to take RHPS into account ..."

I'm guessing this is why they didn't simply apply Flex to Normal/Heroic modes. They're gonna have enough headaches to nurse already...

Still could head down that path. It might be the ultimate solution. 10-25, your choice.

halabar

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am

halabar wrote:Still could head down that path. It might be the ultimate solution. 10-25, your choice.

I'm hoping so. It would be nice to be able to raid without a "bench."
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:56 am

Andurin wrote:
Passionario wrote:If it can scale from 10 to 25, why not 5 to 40?

I think you`ll be stuck with raid mechanics that are really hard then. 10 to 25 man have one thing in common: 2 tank boss mechanics. Blowing it up to 40 shouldnt be a problem, but if you scale it down to 5, they would have to completely skip some mechanics, not sure if that would work. But I wouldnt mind 5 to 40 man raids tbh (since we have problems getting 10 people already).

40 has some problems with encounter design. Imagine 40 people it Tortos's room. They would have to adjust raid design to allow for 40 again.

halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Have to wonder if this will cause even more attrition to the 25 man raiding format. This could bleed off what remains of casual 25 man raid guilds into the new, more accessible difficulty, so that 25 man winds up really being the domain of just high end heroic raiders. Mind you, it could have a similar effect on casual 10 man guilds, but 25 man groups are already harder to maintain.

Not saying this is an automatic negative, just pondering.

On the other hand, if this means that normal modes as easy as Dragon Soul was are dead and buried, it's probably a good thing for raiders. And hey, the last two tiers have already killed off the expectation of progress that casual raid guilds had built up during WotLK and Cataclysm (witness the number that got stuck at Garalon, and in first wing ToT), so those players may be more willing to accept that this new tier is aimed at them and they're not expected to push through normal mode too.

Re: Four difficulty modes, I'm inclined to say that LFR hardly counts, since it's a quick and dirty faceroll with an automatically generated group, something to do to fill gaps.

LFR is for non-raiders to see the content and also to help people gear up. Flex raid is for casual groups and pugs, the "everyone who wants to raid can get a chance" mode. Normal and Heroic are for dedicated raiders - and I do think Normal still serves a purpose.

Based on a limited survey in my casual raid group last night, flex will almost certainly replace our LFR night. If we actually clear current content before 5.4 drops (not a certainty) we might do LFR one night, flex the next for a couple weeks to gear up, and then do Flex/Normal on those two nights.

But the RL is LOVING the idea of being able to bring the 20-24 that are on and ready, and not having to pug.

halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:06 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
halabar wrote:Still could head down that path. It might be the ultimate solution. 10-25, your choice.

But is it really worth it if the content is less challenging and the gear is lower ilevel? I don't feel like it'll be proper prep for heroic modes.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:06 am

Qeeze wrote:
lythac wrote:My main concern is the quality of players in LFR is going to take a complete nosedive. Normal raiders who raid Normal and LFR will instead raid Normal and Flex.

For 25 man guilds I wonder if their 10 man alt runs will be replaced by Flex runs instead.

Without a doubt LFR will suffer the most when /flex goes in. I think that's Blizzards intent to be honest. In many ways this will make Open Raid and yes /2, the defacto tools guilds use to insure raids happen. Flex raids will allow guilds to learn fights faster and develop effective strategies for normal and heroic. The ability to bring in players with more experience to help groups beat fights is a good thing for the game.

Pugging will suffer too. More groups will be doing Flex with their mixed groups, and not trolling trade for fill in spots.

halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:09 am

Nikachelle wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:

But is it really worth it if the content is less challenging and the gear is lower ilevel? I don't feel like it'll be proper prep for heroic modes.

You're looking at it wrong.

Consider in 6.0 that there is no more 10 or 25 normals, there's only Flex normal difficulty. No bench, and no canceling if only 20 show up, and no complaining here about some jackass you needed for your 25th spot.

I imagine heroics would stay at 10 and 25.

They are testing the waters here. If the scaling goes well, my money is on Normals getting this treatment in 6.0.

halabar

Postby Flex » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am

so I was right?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 am

Re: Having the same gear at different ilevels killing the need to run multiples - it reduces but doesn't eliminate the need. If you have, say, 489 gear, and if LFR gives 502, Flex gives 516, and Normal gives 522, if you don't get a drop in Normal you're still gonna want to try the next one down because it'd stil be an upgrade. All depends on your current gear level and your luck with drops.

halabar wrote:Based on a limited survey in my casual raid group last night, flex will almost certainly replace our LFR night. If we actually clear current content before 5.4 drops (not a certainty) we might do LFR one night, flex the next for a couple weeks to gear up, and then do Flex/Normal on those two nights.

But the RL is LOVING the idea of being able to bring the 20-24 that are on and ready, and not having to pug.

If you're actually doing an organised LFR run, you're probably in a very small minority. It's definately the domain of random people who need some extra valor/low gear/etc - this new mode is filling a niche that LFR may have been aimed at in its original conception, but not in how it was implemented.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:14 am

bldavis wrote:honestly i hope they have shared lockouts between /flex, normal and heroic on a toon by toon basis
that way you can have your normal 10 man, your alt flex, and your solo queue LFR

LFR can still be hey lets get easy valor and a chance at an upgrade for that one slot that still hasnt dropped in normal/heroic

i think this way you dont feel like it is mandatory to raid 4 times each week (toc flashbacks anyone?)

Ye of too many alts to gear. :lol:

Actually, if anything, LFR and Flex should share a lockout, and Normal and Heroic share a lockout.

But I don't mind another lockout. Just means less time spent on alts, and faster gearing for the main.

halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:18 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Re: Having the same gear at different ilevels killing the need to run multiples - it reduces but doesn't eliminate the need. If you have, say, 489 gear, and if LFR gives 502, Flex gives 516, and Normal gives 522, if you don't get a drop in Normal you're still gonna want to try the next one down because it'd stil be an upgrade. All depends on your current gear level and your luck with drops.

halabar wrote:Based on a limited survey in my casual raid group last night, flex will almost certainly replace our LFR night. If we actually clear current content before 5.4 drops (not a certainty) we might do LFR one night, flex the next for a couple weeks to gear up, and then do Flex/Normal on those two nights.

If you're actually doing an organised LFR run, you're probably in a very small minority. It's definately the domain of random people who need some extra valor/low gear/etc - this new mode is filling a niche that LFR may have been aimed at in its original conception, but not in how it was implemented.

It should help fill those gear gaps.

We were doing semi-organized LFR runs to help gear up new people that really needed to catch up. Now it's morphing into Runestone runs along with alt gearing, besides gearing up a few new people.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am

Flex wrote:so I was right?

and they named it after you! :P
benebarba

Postby Flex » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

benebarba wrote:
Flex wrote:so I was right?

and they named it after you! :P

Rawr!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General