Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid!

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:53 am

Have to wonder if this will cause even more attrition to the 25 man raiding format. This could bleed off what remains of casual 25 man raid guilds into the new, more accessible difficulty, so that 25 man winds up really being the domain of just high end heroic raiders. Mind you, it could have a similar effect on casual 10 man guilds, but 25 man groups are already harder to maintain.

Not saying this is an automatic negative, just pondering.

On the other hand, if this means that normal modes as easy as Dragon Soul was are dead and buried, it's probably a good thing for raiders. And hey, the last two tiers have already killed off the expectation of progress that casual raid guilds had built up during WotLK and Cataclysm (witness the number that got stuck at Garalon, and in first wing ToT), so those players may be more willing to accept that this new tier is aimed at them and they're not expected to push through normal mode too.

Re: Four difficulty modes, I'm inclined to say that LFR hardly counts, since it's a quick and dirty faceroll with an automatically generated group, something to do to fill gaps.

LFR is for non-raiders to see the content and also to help people gear up. Flex raid is for casual groups and pugs, the "everyone who wants to raid can get a chance" mode. Normal and Heroic are for dedicated raiders - and I do think Normal still serves a purpose.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Winkle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:52 am

It's interesting people have mentioned /flex replacing normal, i would be more inclined to think /flex may replace LFR since it aids at creating community/guilds.
Winkle

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:56 am

Winkle wrote:It's interesting people have mentioned /flex replacing normal, i would be more inclined to think /flex may replace LFR since it aids at creating community/guilds.

But then people might have to talk to other people to get to raid! We can't have that happening.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 am

Well, if you really think about it - LFR still fill the "no-one's online" and "forever alone" slot, while Flex and Normal vie for the same demographic.

It's pointless to dream Blizzard will use Flex to "influence" the player base - this is an essentially reactive move to the paradigm shift we've experienced since Wrath from raids being big things we need to organise around to a much more fluid approach to raiding. They're not going to try a "proactive" move of "let's push players in some direction".
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby lythac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 am

I like the idea.

My main concern is the quality of players in LFR is going to take a complete nosedive. Normal raiders who raid Normal and LFR will instead raid Normal and Flex.

For 25 man guilds I wonder if their 10 man alt runs will be replaced by Flex runs instead.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08 am

Depends on the guilds. People who alt-run normals will still alt-run normals.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Passionario » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:36 am

If it can scale from 10 to 25, why not 5 to 40?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Andurin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 am

Passionario wrote:If it can scale from 10 to 25, why not 5 to 40?

I think you`ll be stuck with raid mechanics that are really hard then. 10 to 25 man have one thing in common: 2 tank boss mechanics. Blowing it up to 40 shouldnt be a problem, but if you scale it down to 5, they would have to completely skip some mechanics, not sure if that would work. But I wouldnt mind 5 to 40 man raids tbh (since we have problems getting 10 people already).
Andurin

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:48 am

I think that with the current way the game works (as in how it technically works), most players' computers couldn't handle a 40 player raid any more. Imagine the last 10% of Tortos with an extra 15 players moving around and casting spells and abilities.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 am

...didn't they JUST increase the ilevel gap between LFR and Normal because it was too close?
Invisusira

Postby Sagara » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 am

They were planning to add Flex all along!

You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

Sagara

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:35 am

That sounded very wrong Sag.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:38 am

I apologise if anyone perceived this message as anything other than the stated metaphor for preparing the passage before doing the deed that Blizzard seems to be prone to.

It's not like Blizzard used the backdoor for this one right?

Sagara

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:39 am

Sagara wrote:They were planning to add Flex all along!

You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

Sigged :)

Also, it is quite likely that we may be entering Orgrimmar via the back door.

Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:56 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General