Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 am

Let's not turn this thread into the LFR vs Heroic thread, we already have that thread.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Holyblaze » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm

So...Ive been outta da loop for this patch, but my guildie said that once 5.4 goes live my server will go away and will be merged with 2 other server from our Battle Group.

This true?
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Holyblaze wrote:So...Ive been outta da loop for this patch, but my guildie said that once 5.4 goes live my server will go away and will be merged with 2 other server from our Battle Group.

This true?

Not entirely. Virtual Realms pretty much works by making it CRZ across everything, including AH.

The servers are gonna be merged by class, so RP-PVE will only be merged with RP-PVE and so on.

And the virtual merging will not happen until halfway thru 5.4, not upon release of the new patch
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Barathorn wrote:
As Joannadark once said, "if everyone is a hero, then no-one is".

Read into that what you will.

Bbbut muh special snowflake syndrome!

It's like people who do nothing but mope around in life starting every sentence with "back in my day."
Teranoid

Postby Holyblaze » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Holyblaze wrote:So...Ive been outta da loop for this patch, but my guildie said that once 5.4 goes live my server will go away and will be merged with 2 other server from our Battle Group.

This true?

Not entirely. Virtual Realms pretty much works by making it CRZ across everything, including AH.

The servers are gonna be merged by class, so RP-PVE will only be merged with RP-PVE and so on.

And the virtual merging will not happen until halfway thru 5.4, not upon release of the new patch

So my server will exist as its own entity or will this be like a VM enviroment where wer all share the same space that is alotted to our populations.
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Holyblaze wrote:So my server will exist as its own entity or will this be like a VM enviroment where wer all share the same space that is alotted to our populations.

It will be like shared zones are now, except that instead of people with a * after their name, the people on your virtual server will have a #. You will be able to trade with them and send mail to them, so that means if you roll an alt on the server you are paired with, you should be able to mail your BoAs to him, and he can join the same guild as your main for the exp benefits and such.

The # is to resolve name issues, so that two toons on the same virtual pair can have the same name.

As far as hardware is concerned, I don't know if the realms have to live on the same physical hardware, but I suspect Bliz has been running virtual servers for a while now.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Holyblaze wrote:So my server will exist as its own entity or will this be like a VM enviroment where wer all share the same space that is alotted to our populations.

It will be like shared zones are now, except that instead of people with a * after their name, the people on your virtual server will have a #. You will be able to trade with them and send mail to them, so that means if you roll an alt on the server you are paired with, you should be able to mail your BoAs to him, and he can join the same guild as your main for the exp benefits and such.

The # is to resolve name issues, so that two toons on the same virtual pair can have the same name.

As far as hardware is concerned, I don't know if the realms have to live on the same physical hardware, but I suspect Bliz has been running virtual servers for a while now.

Yeah, for this to all work, they had to have been on virtual servers for quite some time. Remember when they were selling the old blade servers? That was probably the last of them.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:43 am

Teranoid wrote:
Barathorn wrote:
As Joannadark once said, "if everyone is a hero, then no-one is".

Read into that what you will.

Bbbut muh special snowflake syndrome!

It's like people who do nothing but mope around in life starting every sentence with "back in my day."

Oh if we are going down that road. Pay my subscription and all my bills I incur in life and then you can tell me what opinion I can have.

Until then you don't have to like what I say and if you don't want to read it put me on ignore. Otherwise you can eat my shorts.

Thanks.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 am

To clarify, there is absolutely NO need for 4 tiers of difficulty that I can see.

Surely the sensible option is,

1/ LFR for those who can't for whatever reason get to option 2.

2/ Flex raiding - used to be normal but now caters for all guild types and sizes with raids from 10-25 without having to PUG with scalable bosses.

3/ Heroic raiding [Flex included because sometimes attrition hits hard] for people who want a challenge.

I can see NO reason for 4 tiers when the above fit pretty much everyone's playstyle I can think of.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:57 am

Flex wrote:
Barathorn wrote:
What ever happened to being challenged and being rewarded for execution rather than amount of time thrown at the game?

Then raid normal and heroic and don't raid flex/LFR? Normal 10 man raiding has fallen significantly since WotLK which is almost solely due to how much more difficult it is compared to then. But I guess it is easier to bitch about how easy it is when you don't play it, like the forum posters who complain when heroic modes are cleared in the first couple weeks.

Thanks for not reading what I said. As per usual.

To clarify I am not bitching, I am merely stating that I am happy and also sad about how things turned out.

Barathorn

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 am

Barathorn wrote:To clarify, there is absolutely NO need for 4 tiers of difficulty that I can see.

2/ Flex raiding - used to be normal but now caters for all guild types and sizes with raids from 10-25 without having to PUG with scalable bosses.

3/ Heroic raiding [Flex included because sometimes attrition hits hard] for people who want a challenge.

I can see NO reason for 4 tiers when the above fit pretty much everyone's playstyle I can think of.

Blizzard disagrees. That's all that matters on that line. There's a sizable portion of the player base that are struggling with the current difficulty level of Normal mode but for whom LFR would never be a suitable substitute, and Blizz have decided it's worth catering to them. You disagree, whatever, that probably just means you're not in the target audience.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby daishan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:25 am

Barathorn wrote:3/ Heroic raiding [Flex included because sometimes attrition hits hard] for people who want a challenge.

Heroic raids should never be allowed to have flexible raid size. Balancing the difficulty would be next to impossible.
Most encounters would end up having a sweet spot for how many people you should take, plus any mechanics that effect x number of players would take a disproportionate leap in difficulty each time the raid size caused an extra player to be affected.

I like the idea in principle, not having to decide who goes standby for each raid would be awesome.
I just don't see anyway they could tune it without severely limiting encounter design.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
Barathorn wrote:To clarify, there is absolutely NO need for 4 tiers of difficulty that I can see.

Blizzard disagrees. That's all that matters on that line. There's a sizable portion of the player base that are struggling with the current difficulty level of Normal mode but for whom LFR would never be a suitable substitute, and Blizz have decided it's worth catering to them. You disagree, whatever, that probably just means you're not in the target audience.

I think that is probably 100% correct Kysen. Thanks for actually reading what I was saying.

I think the issue I can't get my head around or convey properly is 'who' these people are for whom LFR is a cakewalk and normal is too difficult. I can hazard a guess that it is the people who in my old guild couldn't dance in Naxx or kite in Ulduar or hide behind ice in the Witchy Kings house but these people were always in the minority and as long as we didn't have more than 2 of them in a 10 man raid then we generally coped [mainly thanks to Amh, his friend Chris, Ulushnar and some stellar performances from our guild members who stepped up to the challenge].

I guess the real question is this because a/ normal got harder or b/ player skill got worse? If its (a) then I can understand and don't feel as sad. If it is (b) then I remain sad while being happy that flexibility is being offered.

Barathorn

Postby Ironshield » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 am

As someone who's spent all of 5.x so far progressing at a nice steady pace through normal modes with a few cracks at the odd heroic and loving every moment of this pace, I'd just like to say "F@#k that noise!"

Also flex on progression content, and normal is progression for many of us, will DEFINITELY result in a less fun experience.
Ironshield

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:09 am

Ironshield wrote:Also flex on progression content, and normal is progression for many of us, will DEFINITELY result in a less fun experience.

How? This is obviously what I can't understand so an explanation would be very helpful?

Cheers.

I also don't understand what you mean by F*** that noise?

Barathorn

PreviousNext

Return to General