Page 2 of 3

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 am
by Fenrìr
benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:GC tweeted about it a few times yesterday, trying to corral the runaway speculation train... he shoulda done that long ago, or kept his mouth shut. :D Now it seems like he's not gonna say which feature is the "unannounced one" once 5.4 does hit the PTR.. :lol:


I'm amazed they let it go this long... seriously, PR folks spend a lot of time managing hype so as to not get a widespread 'meh' when you inevitably fail to impress. I suspect whatever it is will elicit a 'oh neat' at best. :P



Or even better instead of an 'oh neat'...


'about time'


lol.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 am
by Chunes
The only thing that would literally blow my mind to infinity with delight would be cross-faction/cross-realm RealID grouping.

Highly doubt that's in the cards though.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am
by benebarba
heh if we took it further the 2-faction system being gone would certainly blow my mind(personally I feel this 'simple' thing prevents a lot of interesting development lore and gameplay-wise). That'll probably happen shortly after we get a PVE endgame that doesn't solely revolve around raiding though, and definitely after GC gives us a moose :P

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 am
by cdan
What would blow my mind is being able to transfer an account across regions. I've moved me, my wife, three kids, a container of furniture, numerous household accoutrements, a bit of money and a whole lot of books across the Atlantic, but apparently it is impossible to migrate a tiny bit of electronic data from a Blizzard server in Europe to one in the USofA.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 am
by halabar
I still want an iOS app for stuff like fishing, perhaps crafting, and other basic functions.

Would love to be able to buy ore off the AH, prospect it, craft/shard, and then list stuff back on the AH, all from a mobile app. All the stuff my crafting alts do.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm
by Koatanga
Given that they are now having a sale on character services, I would not be surprised if it was a grab at some money for realm transfers before they implement cross-server mailing of BoA gear.

Then there's this idea: Horde and alliance fight cooperatively to overthrow Garrosh, King Wrynn dies in the battle, and Thrall returns to unite the factions into one: The People of Azeroth. Now you can join with your previously Horde or Alliance buddies for instances and raids.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm
by Chunes
Koatanga wrote:Given that they are now having a sale on character services, I would not be surprised if it was a grab at some money for realm transfers before they implement cross-server mailing of BoA gear.

Then there's this idea: Horde and alliance fight cooperatively to overthrow Garrosh, King Wrynn dies in the battle, and Thrall returns to unite the factions into one: The People of Azeroth. Now you can join with your previously Horde or Alliance buddies for instances and raids.


This kind of change would easily keep me playing this game.

As it is, I have 1 good buddy I play horde side with, while much of my old guild has since rerolled alliance on some other server. If I could xrealm/xfaction party with them, holy shit the possibilities...

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 pm
by benebarba
Koatanga wrote:
Then there's this idea: Horde and alliance fight cooperatively to overthrow Garrosh, King Wrynn dies in the battle, and Thrall returns to unite the factions into one: The People of Azeroth. Now you can join with your previously Horde or Alliance buddies for instances and raids.


oh man, the rage that scenario would generate in the community would probably make the servers hosting the official forums burst into flames.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:52 pm
by Koatanga
benebarba wrote:
Koatanga wrote:
Then there's this idea: Horde and alliance fight cooperatively to overthrow Garrosh, King Wrynn dies in the battle, and Thrall returns to unite the factions into one: The People of Azeroth. Now you can join with your previously Horde or Alliance buddies for instances and raids.


oh man, the rage that scenario would generate in the community would probably make the servers hosting the official forums burst into flames.

Would it? Does anyone care about the horde/alliance conflict anymore?

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 pm
by Teranoid
Look at all the retards complaining about the titles for the Barrens stuff. There's your answer to that question.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 am
by econ21
GC dampening down the speculation about the unannounced feature suggests to me that it is not scaling old raids but something smaller and more "quality of life". Being able to play all old raids at an appropriate level of challenge at the end game would be a massive innovation, so wouldn't require lowering expectations. I do think they could and should do it, at some stage (currently, it just seems such a waste of awesome content), but it sounds like it won't be just now.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 am
by Worldie
Still my money on mentoring.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 am
by KysenMurrin
Doubt it with what GC's been saying lately. He's implied that if they don't tell us what the feature is we won't actually be able to guess which one it is.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:06 am
by Worldie
Pet battles raid. You heard it here first.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:41 am
by Fenrìr
Worldie wrote:Pet battles raid. You heard it here first.



I could honestly see that happening...is that scary?

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 am
by benebarba
Koatanga wrote:Would it? Does anyone care about the horde/alliance conflict anymore?


Yes and no: of course, you'll have a vocal group of people flaming pretty much any change in the game. I imagine there are some die-hard 'keep the Warcraft in WoW' folks who would probably be against getting rid of the 2-faction concept (and probably also hate the 'non-canon' playable races mucking things up).

Personally, I find the current telling of the horde/alliance story to be terribly boring... precisely because of the various hoops that need to be jumped through to create a scenario where the horde (or to some extent the alliance) don't just fall apart or seek other alliances, and to fill time to the last raid patch. It also doesn't help I really can't think of Garrosh as a good villain, and I think a lot of good material introduced in various places was left to rot on the vine or undermined by the so-far kinda lame Kill Garrosh story. And because we have to have 2 factions who are nominally against one another, I feel like we (as in both sides) get a less interesting story in game at least. Some of the ebbs and flows of alliances seem to play out but never work out (because they can't) in the other media.

As for complaints about the barrens, aside from the usual pasttime of complaining, I do think that the Barrens alliance side is pretty anticlimactic (except maybe the Sha of Pride and Shao Hao bit), and really doesn't seem worthy of granting a title like 'Hordebreaker' (which I'd expected to be the raid title granted after, you know, breaking the horde leadership). Can't speak to the horde side or how it compares. I am glad I can get the weekly done in about 2 hours though :P

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 am
by econ21
benebarba wrote:... I do think that the Barrens alliance side is pretty anticlimactic (except maybe the Sha of Pride and Shao Hao bit), and really doesn't seem worthy of granting a title like 'Hordebreaker'


I agree. While the gameplay of questing has improved a lot in the last two expansions, the story telling seems very weak compared to WotLK. Horde side, it may be more fun as you suggest.

I am glad I can get the weekly done in about 2 hours though :P


Why do you want to do the weekly? I've done it once, but I can't see why I should do it again. The rewards are underwhelming and it seems a very time inefficient way to get VPs. Grinding 600 mobs is pretty much the nadir of MMO design IMO. (It reminds me of LOTROs "feats", killing 200 boars or whatever).

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 am
by Worldie
Well you do it once for the achi and pet, second time for the brawler guild boss, then done i guess.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 am
by lythac
econ21 wrote:
I am glad I can get the weekly done in about 2 hours though :P


Why do you want to do the weekly? I've done it once, but I can't see why I should do it again. The rewards are underwhelming and it seems a very time inefficient way to get VPs. Grinding 600 mobs is pretty much the nadir of MMO design IMO. (It reminds me of LOTROs "feats", killing 200 boars or whatever).


The commanders drop ~75 resources (3 x 8-17, 1 x 32-43) so it can be pretty quick if your server kills them. Also they drop 1-3 lesser charms.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 am
by benebarba
lythac wrote:
econ21 wrote:
I am glad I can get the weekly done in about 2 hours though :P


Why do you want to do the weekly? I've done it once, but I can't see why I should do it again. The rewards are underwhelming and it seems a very time inefficient way to get VPs. Grinding 600 mobs is pretty much the nadir of MMO design IMO. (It reminds me of LOTROs "feats", killing 200 boars or whatever).


The commanders drop ~75 resources (3 x 8-17, 1 x 32-43) so it can be pretty quick if your server kills them. Also they drop 1-3 lesser charms.


this, and the 200 valor is kind of nice since I can do it solo (also, for those last 20 or so of each resource, just pulling all the things and going crazy is kind of fun).

Also, it frees up time to level my monk :P

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:49 am
by Jabari
econ21 wrote:
benebarba wrote:I am glad I can get the weekly done in about 2 hours though :P


Why do you want to do the weekly? I've done it once, but I can't see why I should do it again. The rewards are underwhelming and it seems a very time inefficient way to get VPs.


If it's taking you 2 hours to do that you're doing something drastically wrong. Had a few guildies do that start to finish in about 30 minutes last night...

Not sure there's a more efficient way to get VP than that.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:57 am
by benebarba
Jabari wrote:
econ21 wrote:
benebarba wrote:I am glad I can get the weekly done in about 2 hours though :P


Why do you want to do the weekly? I've done it once, but I can't see why I should do it again. The rewards are underwhelming and it seems a very time inefficient way to get VPs.


If it's taking you 2 hours to do that you're doing something drastically wrong. Had a few guildies do that start to finish in about 30 minutes last night...

Not sure there's a more efficient way to get VP than that.


there's a big unmentioned YMMV tag in there...

I've had as long as about 2 hours (doing various things at the same time, and I think this was before I knew about the commanders), and as little as maybe 10-20 minutes. Depends on how you do them, your server traffic, when you do them, how much you go over on each resource and if you go back and help others later in the week.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am
by Flex
Worldie wrote:Well you do it once for the achi and pet, second time for the brawler guild boss, then done i guess.


Pretty decent way to gear up alts if your guild actually puts Latent armor drops into the guild bank or mails them to people who need them. Replaced my last blue on my alt hunter and have made 3 pieces for my alt paladin.

Personally, I find the current telling of the horde/alliance story to be terribly boring


I found the 5.1 stuff really good. 5.2 less but that wasn't focused on the conflict as much. Part of the issue is the delay between moving parts. 5.1 came out a while back and only picked up now in 5.3. That said C4T needs to be used in the raid.

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am
by benebarba
Flex wrote:
Personally, I find the current telling of the horde/alliance story to be terribly boring


I found the 5.1 stuff really good. 5.2 less but that wasn't focused on the conflict as much. Part of the issue is the delay between moving parts. 5.1 came out a while back and only picked up now in 5.3. That said C4T needs to be used in the raid.


Yeah, I liked the 5.1 stuff too. Heck I even like the little bit about Shao Hao... though I felt that may have deserved a bit more than essentially a passing mention.

You make a good point about the pacing (and wtb C4T engineering pattern), and I think it may be a big part of the problem. Taking part in the big push to destroy a resurrected god-like figure who inspired fear in *several races, including two that he created, to this day* then being asked to go pick up scraps in the barrens after a little bit of recon is a bit of a stark contrast too. (BTW: when did the trolls lose their sanitary practices? did Garrosh remove the trash bins and toilets when he heard about the rebellion? The Zandalari seemed to have fewer issues even with all the corpses hanging around)

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am
by Flex
benebarba wrote:(and wtb C4T engineering pattern)


Fluxfire Feline in Gnome starting area. Capture your C4T today!