Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.3 Notes

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby Darielle » Thu May 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Well, it sounds like the whole concept of "Public Test Realm" is a failure then. *shrug*

They need to make it private testing - whether that means completely in-house, or hiring players/guilds to do that work (yes, paying them) - either would be ok.

I mean, not finding something like "Resto Treants make healer's target take aggro" in 4 weeks of testing... This should have been very easy to see with just anyone running a 5-man.

Well, actually, the big one is the sound changes. Either that was a last-second addition with no testing (in which case the software devs/mgmt there are morons), or, I don't even know what to think if no "testers" caught the fact that no addons make any sounds any more.

To put it in a little more detail, you have to consider quite a few things:
- Was the bug even active on PTR? Some bugs are only introduced when the Live build happens.
- Was the bug even identified on PTR? It's not something that you would have come across if you went and did a 5-man and the Resto just used Treants on the tank, after all.
- If the bug was identified, was it even reported as "Resto Treants make healer's target take aggro"? Even in just the last 3 days, the reports included comments on Tricks, Misdirects, and other various weirdness. Beyond that, did people just shrug it off when it happened as "LOL someone did a HoP/HoF".
- If the bug was identified, and reported, can the cause be identified? Code does some odd things occasionally (and by occasionally, I mean all the time).
- If the bug was identified, and was not fixed, you have a choice of delaying the entire patch for one bug, or letting it go live. Well, shucks.
- If the bug wasn't identified, and all you have are various "THreat is being funny", are you really going to delay the patch for a vague report that you can't even identify because you're logically going to look for things like Salv, HoP, Tricks, MD, Taunts, etc., but it takes a fairly "interesting" testing process to go from knowing nothing to "Oh IT WAS RESTO FORCE OF NATURE".
Darielle

Postby oldboyz » Thu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm

sorry, my own commun sense do not tell me at all "how large is wow"
it is near 20 year i'm in software/pharma/banking IT world : there are much bigger and much more critical projects outside gaming world.
Those larger and more complex environment have much more less fail.

whatever
i do not care about bugs or about complainers
blizz is doing at best with minimal ressource. But if Blizz would be as serious as they claim to be, we would not see those lazy bug
whatever :mrgreen:
Last edited by oldboyz on Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldboyz

Postby Chunes » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Darielle nailed it.

A system as complex as WoW has an uncountable amount of combinations of things you would need to mechanically test in order to consider the code air tight before release. As long as the game is not bugsplatting and major things are not being red flagged internally as fucked up, then the burden lies on the player base and limited internal/ptr testing to reveal bugs in the game.

What is not caught by internal QA and prt efforts surfaces to live, is quickly identified and then fixed.

I mean, come on, we could have an open world like any of the elder scrolls games where bugs are frequently reported (and never fixed...)
Chunes

Postby Klaudandus » Thu May 23, 2013 5:02 pm

but some of the elder scroll bugs are awesome!

(and all the extra stuff you can do in it to customize it -- be it having lightning farron in a really skimpy outfit as the player, zoidberg crabs, macho man dragons, swords shaped as pinkie pie)
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Thu May 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Darielle wrote:
Well, it sounds like the whole concept of "Public Test Realm" is a failure then. *shrug*

They need to make it private testing - whether that means completely in-house, or hiring players/guilds to do that work (yes, paying them) - either would be ok.

I mean, not finding something like "Resto Treants make healer's target take aggro" in 4 weeks of testing... This should have been very easy to see with just anyone running a 5-man.

Well, actually, the big one is the sound changes. Either that was a last-second addition with no testing (in which case the software devs/mgmt there are morons), or, I don't even know what to think if no "testers" caught the fact that no addons make any sounds any more.

To put it in a little more detail, you have to consider quite a few things:
- Was the bug even active on PTR? Some bugs are only introduced when the Live build happens.
- Was the bug even identified on PTR? It's not something that you would have come across if you went and did a 5-man and the Resto just used Treants on the tank, after all.
- If the bug was identified, was it even reported as "Resto Treants make healer's target take aggro"? Even in just the last 3 days, the reports included comments on Tricks, Misdirects, and other various weirdness. Beyond that, did people just shrug it off when it happened as "LOL someone did a HoP/HoF".
- If the bug was identified, and reported, can the cause be identified? Code does some odd things occasionally (and by occasionally, I mean all the time).
- If the bug was identified, and was not fixed, you have a choice of delaying the entire patch for one bug, or letting it go live. Well, shucks.
- If the bug wasn't identified, and all you have are various "THreat is being funny", are you really going to delay the patch for a vague report that you can't even identify because you're logically going to look for things like Salv, HoP, Tricks, MD, Taunts, etc., but it takes a fairly "interesting" testing process to go from knowing nothing to "Oh IT WAS RESTO FORCE OF NATURE".

Of course not! They ran to the forums to complain about it!
Teranoid

Postby Chunes » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Klaudandus wrote:but some of the elder scroll bugs are awesome!

(and all the extra stuff you can do in it to customize it -- be it having lightning farron in a really skimpy outfit as the player, zoidberg crabs, macho man dragons, swords shaped as pinkie pie)

Oh I agree, some of them are fantastic.

I was bummed out, however, with that one patch that made dragons keep a minimum 300yd distance from you whenever they spawned.

They'd just hover there, just beyond reach of any weapons/abilities and no dragon souls were had :(
Chunes

Postby Jabari » Thu May 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Darielle wrote:- Was the bug even active on PTR? Some bugs are only introduced when the Live build happens.

This is a failure of their CM system, then.

Darielle wrote:- Was the bug even identified on PTR? It's not something that you would have come across if you went and did a 5-man and the Resto just used Treants on the tank, after all.

Oh sure, but if that's all you did with it that's hardly "testing" the skill. *shrug* If I had the responsibility of testing the skill, I'd be trying it on all sorts of things. Tanks and self probably first - that would be quite a surprise when you cast it on yourself and the boss suddenly turned and stomped you! Then "does it work on hunter pets?" "Does it work on people not in party?" All kinds of things to try!

Darielle wrote:- If the bug was identified, was it even reported as "Resto Treants make healer's target take aggro"? Even in just the last 3 days, the reports included comments on Tricks, Misdirects, and other various weirdness. Beyond that, did people just shrug it off when it happened as "LOL someone did a HoP/HoF".

Not necessarily. What I would expect to happen would be a report of "strange aggro issues on this run - see attached logs", then give the logs to the devs and let them parse those.

Darielle wrote:- If the bug was identified, and was not fixed, you have a choice of delaying the entire patch for one bug, or letting it go live. Well, shucks.

Substitute "disciplined" for "interesting", there. Delaying the patch would depend on how often the issues were being raised I would think.

If there was a bug in the code I work on that's on the order of "DBM sounds don't work, raiding is near impossible", the result would be 747s falling out of the sky. I very well could be a little over-sensitive to software testing issues... :lol:

Chunes wrote:then the burden lies on the player base and limited internal/ptr testing to reveal bugs in the game.

Somehow I don't think Boeing would ever sign a contract for software development that includes "customer is responsible for finding bugs." *chuckle*
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Chunes » Thu May 23, 2013 6:15 pm

@jabari, you seem to think that they have a test scenario for every spell in every circumstance.

Mathematically, that's impossible. So stuff slips through the cracks.

The boeing comment is a pretty bad strawman if you're really trying to debate this, nobody's going to die from a bug in wow.

If you're just being sarcastic, then I take your point.

;)
Chunes

Postby Sagara » Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm just done reading the hotfix notes - usual stuff, nothing major.
I drop on this thread, and it was almost like Blizzard was drowning baby kitten and responsible for 9/11.

Seriously? Sense of scale?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Chunes » Fri May 24, 2013 5:47 am

Nobody has any sense of scale in this game.

Every change to your class is a direct assault, a proverbial SLAP IN THE FACE.

Every bug is so blatantly obvious that it's unthinkable how those lazy devs could have missed it.

Every bug is also so ridiculously serious that people are just gobsmacked that this patch was ever allowed to hit live servers.

/s off

There is a reason I usually am an apologist on behalf of the dev team.
Chunes

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 am

I was skeptical about buffs to Enhancement in this patch because at first I didn't think we needed them. Then as the tier went on the gap between my sustained dps and my burst dps kept getting bigger, and by Tuesday I kind of understood the need to buff our base attacks.

Now that the patch is live, my sustained dps is much better, but my burst is ridiculous (350k dps single target, without full buffs and before upgrades and meta gem), and I'm looking at it as wrong from the completely opposite direction.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Chunes » Fri May 24, 2013 7:24 am

Wonder what that translates to with the new pvp changes.

Enh shaman comps (at least in 2's for me and my partner) were always a matter of "ok... do what you can to survive the first 10 seconds, then if we're stable, go for the counter kill"

If the burst is even greater than it was before, then I'd say Enh + Frost mage or enh + kitty/rogue will be pretty terrifying to face for a while.
Chunes

Postby benebarba » Fri May 24, 2013 11:10 am

Jabari wrote:Somehow I don't think Boeing would ever sign a contract for software development that includes "customer is responsible for finding bugs." *chuckle*

You mean like the issues with their APU batteries overheating/catching fire in the brand spanking new (and very late) 787? Or Toyota and the unintended acceleration reports?

Yep. Them 'real companies' sure never have major safety issues/problems in the field that 'should have' been identified in the pre-release process.

;)

let's never bring up this strawman, K? It's worse than a slashdot car analogy.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 am

benebarba wrote:
Jabari wrote:Somehow I don't think Boeing would ever sign a contract for software development that includes "customer is responsible for finding bugs." *chuckle*

You mean like the issues with their APU batteries overheating/catching fire in the brand spanking new (and very late) 787? Or Toyota and the unintended acceleration reports?

Yep. Them 'real companies' sure never have major safety issues/problems in the field that 'should have' been identified in the pre-release process.

;)

let's never bring up this strawman, K? It's worse than a slashdot car analogy.

For the record, the electrical issues plaguing the dreamliner were known from the time they were doing test flights. It caused one to make an emergency landing at the local airport years ago.

Just saying...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am

benebarba wrote:let's never bring up this strawman, K? It's worse than a slashdot car analogy.

Well to be fair, it's actually your analogies that are the straw man, since he is not suggesting that "real companies" produce bug free code. He was responding to the statement that "the burden lies on the player base", which is not accurate.  The analogy he made is actually fair, though a bit extreme.

Blizz and many other companies use the player base (public testing) as a source of help, but the responsibility belongs to the dev team. Sometimes bugs make it through that "should not".
I don't know a devloper/QA person anywhere that would suggest otherwise, however without knowing the details of these bugs it really is quite difficult to speculate whether or not these fall into that category.

Bugs are annoying, but given the product and how effective it has been for a very long time, it's hard to argue that the development effort isn't very high quality.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General