Remove Advertisements

What's up with T15?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: What's up with T15?

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 am

I really can't believe we're arguing that LFR is too accessible and normal is not. I don't like LFR myself, but Blizzard really can't win in this situation. They've tried to give casual players who don't have a lot of time to waste the option to do raids and get gear. It's right there. It's unorganized and it's full of idiots simply because of what it is. If normal was to be less tuned than it is, then you'd be looking at LFR in a 10 man format.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Winkle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:06 am

benebarba wrote:Yep. But doing it by adding in another raid difficulty, or reducing the raid difficulty from the outset probably isn't the best way to go overall.

I'm not sure there's another way to address it other than reducing difficulty though.

On my server (which i assume isn't unique) there's numerous guilds that are co-ordinated enough to be guilded, with an external website and voice coms and regular raid days that can't progress past Jin'rokh. Sure they could go back to T14 but they've already spent 4-6 months attempting to clear the place and probably running lfr for it weekly. I imagine there as tired of it as everyone else.

I think to expect them to spend another month or more in there whilst others progress in new content is foolish, and simply won't happen. It's far more likely that they'll simply stop raiding and possibly quit the game.
Winkle

Postby Jabari » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 am

Background: My guild is mostly older players, consisting of old college friends and current coworkers and such. We raid once a week, for about three to four hours. We (as a group) are ... somewhat lacking in skill - we have a couple of very good players, and a lot of what I would call "average" players - they don't get out of fire right away all the time, they do 75% of max-simcraft DPS, etc.

That said, we're not "full of idiots", either. We're organized, have voice comms, pick up fight mechnaics fairly well (if not perfectly, or right away), and don't do completely stupid things. We are all completely gemmed/enchanted, use flasks and feasts, and so on.

We absolutely had the worst time in MV. We (barely) got past Spirit Kings before the nerf, and now can get up TO Elegon every week (which we weren't before - Stone Guards still stopped us cold some weeks), but haven't gotten past it yet. (Haven't had a ton of attempts yet, though).

The 10% nerf for 5.0 raids "feels" to me to be the correct tuning for a group like ours - we should progress at a reasonable pace now, a new boss down every couple of weeks or thereabouts. (Or about - 10% is a bit much, 7.5% would have been perfect. For our group.)

The problem is that the ILVL for the new LFR (and new VP stuff) totally outclasses anything we can get in "our" content. This seems like a huge flaw to me - if LFR is supposed to be "catch-up", then it should give no higher than ilvl 496.

With it at 502, we're simply going to DE most drops in "our" content! It's not like we can really go on and do ToT either - it's too hard (for our group) - it's no fun to get stuck on the first boss for 2 months again!

What, exactly, is "our" content supposed to be?
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 am

Jabari wrote:Background: My guild is mostly older players, consisting of old college friends and current coworkers and such. We raid once a week, for about three to four hours. We (as a group) are ... somewhat lacking in skill - we have a couple of very good players, and a lot of what I would call "average" players - they don't get out of fire right away all the time, they do 75% of max-simcraft DPS, etc.

That said, we're not "full of idiots", either. We're organized, have voice comms, pick up fight mechnaics fairly well (if not perfectly, or right away), and don't do completely stupid things. We are all completely gemmed/enchanted, use flasks and feasts, and so on.

With it at 502, we're simply going to DE most drops in "our" content! It's not like we can really go on and do ToT either - it's too hard (for our group) - it's no fun to get stuck on the first boss for 2 months again!

What, exactly, is "our" content supposed to be?

You in my raid team?.. :shock: :wink: (my group also has a lot of new raiders)

I wouldn't worry about the LFR drops as much as the new rep valor purchases, since they are 522.

But really the LFR drops AND the rep gear should be pushing your team, and mine, through T14 faster, and on into T15 eventually.

The first boss doesn't seem to be the issue, it's the second boss. What remains to be seen is if your group or mine can get past Horridon with enough gear but with our "average" skill set.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:42 am

Stacking Determination for raids that is removeable by the raid leader; boss drops lose 1 iLvl per stack?

I don't know. Bliz is stuck with either having people complain that content is too easy and boring, or too difficult and inaccessible. It isn't incumbent on Blizzard to make sure every raid group can clear all current content, or even current-1, is it? On the other hand, they do want players to be enjoying themselves (and continuing to subscribe).

I think they do have a very good idea on what kind of progression numbers they consider "acceptable." If their magic number of raids aren't clearing certain bosses, they address those bosses. Some groups will still not be able to reach those levels of performance. Can Blizzard accommodate these groups? *Should* Blizzard be trying?

I remember at a blizzcon a few years ago during the Raids&Dungeons Q&A someone asked when they were going to make Raiding "more accessible, because they really missed the mark with Karazhan." The developers just kind of looked at each other and said, "we disagree."

Is there really anything they can do for these kinds of groups?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I remember at a blizzcon a few years ago during the Raids&Dungeons Q&A someone asked when they were going to make Raiding "more accessible, because they really missed the mark with Karazhan." The developers just kind of looked at each other and said, "we disagree."

Is there really anything they can do for these kinds of groups?

They did. LFR.

I'll be the first to admit the lack of skill in my team, and the fact that they will need the LFR and valor gear as noted above to push into T15.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Winkle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 am

Wasn't Karazhan pretty damn hard when it was initially released? TBH i wasn't around then so perhaps shouldn't comment.

I agree they can't make everyone happy all of the time, but it does seem they've decided to make raids more challenging, which isn't what i was expecting.

And whilst the normal and heroic modes provide ample content for my guild, my server as a whole is suffering as many guilds just can't progress through the content other than in LFR, which many regard as far from ideal/enjoyable content.
Winkle

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

I personally like how T15 is.

But the problem is the group of people who see themselves as above LFR and can't get past the second boss of ToT. It's a new tier...it's going to be harder and the ilvl requirement is going to be higher. It'd be stupid and, nay I say it, boring as shit if T15 had the same ilvl requirement as ToES or HoF. It has to be harder. While I respect the people who want to raid and see normal mode raids, I think the vast majority of people need to understand that if they haven't even cleared T14, T15 isn't where they should be (and if they are attempting, not complaining about the difficulty).

If you want to be in a normal mode raid group, you probably need to bite the bullet and app to a slightly better guild than the one you're in.

It's really just a catch-22 that Blizzard has here. Sure, LFR is boring and well, full of idiots (no offense to anyone who does LFR religiously); but Blizzard has stated it is a catch up to gear and the tuning for the bosses in normal mode is, imo, spot on. Sure, a few things need to be changed, but I don't think Blizzard sees it as such. They even said the bosses aren't really tuned around ilvl so much as mechanic execution (within reason I must add cause if you're sitting at 490 ilvl, don't expect to get past Council). Use this new LFR and the Rep gear to get through T14, gear up and then push in. Sure it's slow and everyone wants to raid the new content as soon as it's out, but unfortunately, you need to be able to meet the chec kmarks: IE: gear level, mechanic execution, class skill (in no order).

That's just how it is, to me.

(And I know I used 'you' a lot, it's not directed at anyone, just how I was typing).
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 am

Winkle wrote:
benebarba wrote:Yep. But doing it by adding in another raid difficulty, or reducing the raid difficulty from the outset probably isn't the best way to go overall.

I'm not sure there's another way to address it other than reducing difficulty though.

On my server (which i assume isn't unique) there's numerous guilds that are co-ordinated enough to be guilded, with an external website and voice coms and regular raid days that can't progress past Jin'rokh. Sure they could go back to T14 but they've already spent 4-6 months attempting to clear the place and probably running lfr for it weekly. I imagine there as tired of it as everyone else.

I think to expect them to spend another month or more in there whilst others progress in new content is foolish, and simply won't happen. It's far more likely that they'll simply stop raiding and possibly quit the game.

Sure there is, as Kysen pointed out: modify the difficulty curve of the encounters within a single tier/instance. At the moment, I don't think you can choose which boss you go after in any of the instances (they are all essentially linear progression, or am I missing something?). So if boss #1 is blocking a large portion of groups, that's probably not great design. But the trouble there is answering the question of when 'the hard stuff' can show up. Rolling nerfs I think wouldn't have been the right answer either, since the trouble there becomes deciding when to start them, since that would become the defacto end of a tier (sorta like happened in DS).

I think that blizzard is trying to find a medium between the 'everyone can clear, but some may take longer' of say DS with the rolling nerfs and the 'only 1% of the playerbase will see the last boss of the normal mode of this tier' of some of the earlier expansions. But that means that not everyone will clear everything on normal mode. It seems like blizzard is trying to make up for that by giving folks other stuff to do, so they don't just throw up their hands and quit though some certainly will.

The major trouble so far in MOP that I've seen has been pacing by the players and content availability. The game will let you throw yourself at content until your eyes bleed, and you curse the day Blizzard was formed. 'Do ALL thet things!' has long since become etched in the communities expectations, and so I think some of the burnout is a result of this. I know it certainly was in my guild. And if a group starts throwing themselves at a raid from day 1 and still has trouble several months on, I'm not sure that there isn't an expectation to be managed there as well.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 am

Fenrìr wrote:I personally like how T15 is.

But the problem is the group of people who see themselves as above LFR and can't get past the second boss of ToT. It's a new tier...it's going to be harder and the ilvl requirement is going to be higher. It'd be stupid and, nay I say it, boring as shit if T15 had the same ilvl requirement as ToES or HoF. It has to be harder. While I respect the people who want to raid and see normal mode raids, I think the vast majority of people need to understand that if they haven't even cleared T14, T15 isn't where they should be (and if they are attempting, not complaining about the difficulty).

I think that the argument that T-15's first normal mode boss shouldn't require more than 496 is pretty reasonable (not requiring 470, like say HoF or ToES - I agree that's too low). That would be the gear from clearing normal T-14 and maybe some valor stuff. 480 (I think?) for the LFR seems pretty reasonable as well (cleared T-14 LFR, maybe some valor gear).

I really think that this is just a culture shock to people who got used to the 'go right into current tier' of Cata or never got into (or liked) the progression through tiers of previous expansions. Therefore, for those who've been attempting content and not making it happen for whatever reason I can see some frustration.
benebarba

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:30 am

I don't know if I agree with a 496 ilvl req for the first boss. It needs to be higher. I could see 502 or something. But even then, I feel like the bosses are tuned pretty close to where they should be (save for that damn boring ass bird...he should the first boss).

Even then, Blizzard said that normal mode, while it has an ilvl req, should only be wiping guilds if they can't do the mechanics properly. And that's exactly what people are seeing here with Horridon...mechanics, not gear. Sure, gear would help...but guess where you'll get the gear to kill boss 2 of a new tier....that's right, previous tier.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 am

Fenrìr wrote:but guess where you'll get the gear to kill boss 2 of a new tier....that's right, previous tier.

The balancing was people stuck at Garalon (that seems to be the basis for everything) should get the first ToT boss down, should have some issues with the second but it should be doable and will have more trouble with the third. After that they shouldn't be able to progress smoothly and would need to go back to T14 raids.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am

Fenrìr wrote:I don't know if I agree with a 496 ilvl req for the first boss. It needs to be higher. I could see 502 or something. But even then, I feel like the bosses are tuned pretty close to where they should be (save for that damn boring ass bird...he should the first boss).

Even then, Blizzard said that normal mode, while it has an ilvl req, should only be wiping guilds if they can't do the mechanics properly. And that's exactly what people are seeing here with Horridon...mechanics, not gear. Sure, gear would help...but guess where you'll get the gear to kill boss 2 of a new tier....that's right, previous tier.

502 ilvl would basically mean that LFR or heroic modes were part of the progression, or mean that more 500+ ilvl loot had to be available elsewhere. I thought one of the express goals was for LFR to *not* be part of the progression aside from 'catch up'.

I can't actually comment on the balance, I was speaking more generally. But yeah - I agree with the general trend of 'mechanics = win' that was present even in T-14. I actually think that allows for more than just 'make bigger numbers!' type difficulty, which means that groups that may have some trouble just with raw DPS/HPS can still get pretty far into a raid before hitting a wall.
benebarba

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am

But by the same logic of LFR is a catch-up tool...with it dropping 502 ilvl gear with 522 rep vendor, I don't think a 502 ilvl req for the first boss is too far fetched.

Proper planning of VP for the last couple of weeks before 5.2 could have netted most people 2 pieces of 522 gear (neck, ring, bracers or trinket). But that falls on player responsibility and foresight.
Last edited by Fenrìr on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 am

Fenrìr wrote:But by the same logic of LFR is a catch-up tool...with it dropping 502 ilvl gear with 522 rep vendor, I don't think a 502 ilvl req for the first boss is too far fetched.

Proper planning of VP for the last couple of weeks before 5.2 could have netted most people 2 pieces of 522 gear (neck, ring, bracers or trinket). But that falls on player responsibility and foresight.

... and using LFR as part of the progression requirements. Actual requirements, not just socially imposed ones, if that was what it was balanced around.

let's say you have ilvl 496 in all your slots from farming the hell out of normal mode T-14. Your whole team has done the same. You all go grab your 522 neck at neutral, so your average ilvl is now, what 497/498? (+26 ilvl in 1 of 12 slots)? So you literally do not have the gear for at least 1/2 weeks (LFR lag of 1 week, so you can't earn rep) to go into the first boss at the intended level.
Last edited by benebarba on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General