How would you F2P WoW

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

How would you F2P WoW

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:32 pm

After reading how horrible ToR's F2P model is (seriously no support for preferred and F2P players?) I have wondered how would you convert WoW to a F2P model. Assume a subscription still exists and grants the same benefits it does now, namely everything is free. So how would you make F2P not only fun to play but not feel liek you're being cockblocked and forced to pay, always a factor when I play F2P games, and enticing enough for F2Pers to subscribe.

Model 1: Purchased "Boxed" game

• Core game features like leveling and initial dungeons and raids free up to and including level cap
  • Limit in some manner for max level raids and dungeons. Maybe first month after purchase no limits on raiding for F2P purchasers, but after a month they get limited on number of loot rolls, or instance/raid IDs they can have.
  • Small patches like 5.1 go for around $5.
  • Larger patches that introduce new raiding tiers could push to around $15.
  • Secondary game elements like Pet Battles and Brawlers Guild would be one time purchases
  • Limited AH postings.
  • Limit on daily quests they can do.

Model 2: free to play with in game purchasable feature unlocks.

• Leveling free, leveling dungeons free.
  • 1 profession and 1 secondary profession free, unlocks for second prof and all secondary profs.
  • Unlock for unlimited heroics, 3 free per week.
  • Unlock per raid instance or tier
  • Extremely Limited AH postings to 25 or so. People can still play it and get unlocks for in game gold but it wont be quick or easy.
  • Unlock for secondary spec
  • Unlock for fastest flying levels
  • Basically unlocks for a lot of convenience and cosmetic features.
  • Same patch cost as the boxed model
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Re: How would you F2P WoW

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Micro charges for posting on the official forums. 8)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 pm

I'd probably go with Model 2 on yours, for the most part.

Leveling to cap free
Leveling dungeons free
1 Prof each free
Old Normal Mode Raids Free
Heroics Free
BG's Free
Normal Flying Free
BackPack + 2 bags Free
Bank + 2 Bags Free
Capped Honor/Conq/JP/VP in some way
Limited AH use per day (buying and selling)

Raiding Current Tier = $
RBG/Arena = $
Flying Fast(er) = $
More Profs = $
More Bag Space = $
More Bank Space = $
Uncapped Honor/Conq/JP/VP (or higher caps)
Heroic Raiding difficulty for "all" tiers - $
unlimited AH Use.

Patches would be free this way, but the free play crowd would be a patch behind the rest of the crowd.
Shoju

Postby Teranoid » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm

halabar wrote:Micro charges for posting on the official forums. 8)

this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this.
Teranoid

Postby Koatanga » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 pm

All content open F2P - great for advertising. Micro-transaction model.

No Epic drops in dungeons or raids
No Valor points
No Conquest points

Optional Purchases:
Greater Charms of Good Fortune = chance of epic loot drops in raids
Valor points
Conquest points
Items required crafting Epic equipment
Second spec, third spec, etc.
Mount levels / flying
Normal AH and Real-money AH
Transmogging
Void Storage
Reforging

While raiding would be open to all, you would be at least a tier behind, waiting for the epic items to drop from Valor points to Honor points so that you could buy them. You could probably clear the initial raid level in blues, but since you'd get no drops, it would be strictly for the challenge of it.

Raid content would pretty much require micro-transactions in order to progress.

Effectively the same would go for PvP. You could participate, but not really stand a chance of winning unless you buy some Conquest points to get some gear.

Your basic F2P person could quest all he wants, on foot, and run as many dungeons as he likes, including heroics. He would not have any access to current-tier Epic quality items unless crafted, but since crafting them would require real money, it's unlikely he could get crafted pieces either.

Nobody would get any raid drops unless they elect to use a Charm of Good Fortune, which would then assign loot as it does now, with the exception that you would not receive a duplicate item that you have in your current inventory, bank, or void storage.

Gear would be designed to be the "carrot". In addition to the iLvl boost for epic quality items, such items would look much better than the common or rare items. People who pay to play would be recognizable because they would look like nobility among peasants. Their gear would be detailed and look fantastic. Common items would be dull and drab, and rare items would look only slightly better.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Sagara » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Teranoid wrote:
halabar wrote:Micro charges for posting on the official forums. 8)

this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this.

that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Gab » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Koatanga wrote:No Epic drops in dungeons or raids
No Valor points
No Conquest points

Optional Purchases:
Greater Charms of Good Fortune = chance of epic loot drops in raids
Valor points
Conquest points

Pay to win...? Not fun and has never been a succesful business model afaik. You should NOT be able to purchase character power in F2P games. Maybe purchase boosts to the rate gain or similar but not allowing non-paying customers a way to obtain character power items that paying customers have alienates a possibly large portion of your player base.

Microtransactions should be QOL improvements (stash sizes, mobility, maybe even priority for queues, faster currency gains, armor doesn't lose durability etc...) and cosmetic only imo.
Gab

Postby Winkle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 am

Limiting content consumption results in a less active community in the game. Making your MMO less "Massive".

If anything the single player content could be the limited content. Such as the farm, maybe certain quest-lines etc.
Winkle

Postby econ21 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am

I quite like the LOTRO model - paying for zones (i.e. access to quests and instances in them). It's not really free - you have to pay to get a decent experience, but it's honest and an interesting alternative to paying a subscription. It would work best for games that are not updated so regularly - i.e. which lack the content to justify a subscription.

In WoW, you could make the level 1-58 zones free, you get through it so quickly anyway. Have one off charges for BC, Wrath, Cata and MoP. If you want to keep a subscription option, you might have to exclude the MoP content or at least put limits on the instances/PvP stuff (pay to raid/arena/RBGs, caps on other stuff).

Some aspects of the LOTRO model I don't like - the stats tomes are just too transparently pay to win. If WoW goes that way (like the Diablo real money AH), it will be annoy a lot of people.

The Star Wars model is actually extremely generous in that the leveling experience is completely free and, imo, wonderful. The problem with that game is the endgame and charging for that questionable part of the product, while giving away the best part of the game, is a bizarre decision and indicates how desperate the company is.
econ21

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 am

econ21 wrote:The Star Wars model is actually extremely generous in that the leveling experience is completely free and, imo, wonderful. The problem with that game is the endgame and charging for that questionable part of the product, while giving away the best part of the game, is a bizarre decision and indicates how desperate the company is.

1. They're not desperate, since going to their F2P model they've been making money hand over fist, stopped the bleeding and are in fact hiring on new people/hiring back laid off people again.
2. They're giving away the levelling content free... except with a whole bunch of pain added in if you're not a subscriber. The amount of baseline stuff they straight up nerfed from the gameplay experience, including levelling only stuff like rest XP and XP gain rate, and totally insane shit like action bars is truly amazing to me. Given how constantly behind I was levelling in that game and how hard it is compared to games like WoW and GW2... I don't know how anyone can join up now as F2P and not hate the hell out of that levelling experience.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby honorshammer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28 pm

The XP penalty (you get about half the xp a sub does and no rested) means you can literally run out of content but not be leveled for it. The constant UI reminders "this is for subscribers only" gets a little old. Then there is the inane stuff like having to pay to display your titles, hide your head slot, etc.

TORWars actually has a really good breakdown on it, though I think as a fan site, they are a little more postitive than I would be.

Return of the Veteran: Starting Over As Preferred Status
Part 1: http://torwars.com/2013/01/21/return-of ... tus-part-1
Part 2: http://torwars.com/2013/01/29/return-of ... tus-part-2
Part 3: http://torwars.com/2013/02/04/return-of ... tus-part-3
honorshammer

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

The hiding the head slot was the last straw for me. Absolutely unacceptable given how their armor graphics interact.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby oldboyz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:01 am

simple answer to how i would play FTP WOW : i would stop. :shock:
oldboyz

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

The GW2 method seems to work.
Fee to buy the game, then a micro transaction model, as well as certain things like bonus bagslots costing blue gems to unlock. You can either farm the gold to buy the gems (current cost around 1.5g per 100 gems) or use real money to buy gems.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Passionario » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:23 am

If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Next

Return to General