patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:04 pm

What they need to do for a big instance like that to work is make a few different end-boss runs (like the current "prison" and "Emperor" ones), and bring in features that highlight the boss you need to kill for the bonus on the map. Some streamlining of the instance and better highlighting of the routes on the map would help, too (there are major overlapping sections where you just can't tell which levels connect where).

You still have a huge instance you can zone into and explore in full, but when you go in through dungeon finder you get specific "missions" to particular sections.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Chunes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:24 pm

I was one of the masochistic few that enjoyed ST and BRD back in the day. Hell, with ST I dedicated a fair amount of time to just memorizing the optimal path through it down to the point of memorizing the order of the statues and helping the group spread out so we could activate them faster.

BRD's main issue as I remember it was just the absurdly wide level range.

I'm all for huge, sprawly dungeons as opposed to the "loot corridors" someone described above, but when you think of the attention span of the average player these days, they'd never really get into that kind of thing.
Chunes

Postby Fenris » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Klaudandus wrote:We already killed the Wind elemental guy...

we could go back to space though!

"Alleria and Turalyon have not been seen for years"
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby jere » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Chunes wrote:I was one of the masochistic few that enjoyed ST and BRD back in the day. Hell, with ST I dedicated a fair amount of time to just memorizing the optimal path through it down to the point of memorizing the order of the statues and helping the group spread out so we could activate them faster.

I also loved Sunken Temple. One of my favorites. Though, the last boss was a lot more difficult as a paladin tank when you didn't have taunt.
jere

Postby Teranoid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Man they weren't kidding about pacing LFR.

Full LFR doesn't unlock until April 16th.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Teranoid wrote:Man they weren't kidding about pacing LFR.

Full LFR doesn't unlock until April 16th.

Holy fuck, that is retarded!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Darielle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm

These dungeons lately have been bad enough with tanks that don't speak english/have never been there before/ignore party chat that I couldn't imagine sitting through "OKAY WAIT WE HAVE TO DO THESE STATUES THE RIGHT WAY OTHERWI- oh fuck it.. /leave group"

The problem with BRD is when you zone in unless you're like 57 or something you have absolutely no idea which section you're on unless you meander your way around. It's to the point where I'd rather get 2 min of questing in between being steamrolled by bored lvl 90s than sit through another run of that hellhole.

That's not a problem with the dungeon. As I said, it's from a different era. Meandering through the dungeon WAS the thing back in the day. The biggest thing about a place like Sunken Temple and navigation was that instance maps back in the day sucked (they didn't exist, you just saw the zone), and the minimap did and still sucks at handling multiple levels. BRD suffers less from that, but the wide level range, the massively long run, etc. did not help it at all.

What you're observing is the effect of LFD on top of the super-acceleration of efficiency and ridiculously short runs for loot. People complain about 20-30 minutes in a dungeon nowadays. Chuck a bit of heirlooms and the entire levelling process pretty much becoming destroyed, and a place like BRD seems pretty much out of place, but it fit perfectly back in its time, and its purpose was a lot more relevant when it still had relevance from the little things within (Onyxia questline, Black Forge/Grim Guzzler/MC rep), and so on.

If they'd put a bit of work into it, the two wouldn't necessarily be mutually exclusive (e.g., LFD puts you in a different instance where a set area is unlocked, you kill stuff and get done).

It keeps the idea of Normal mode being more relevant and prevents LFR people being bored with the patch by the end of April in one swoop.
Darielle

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Yeah, BRD's problem was that you started the instance at level 48-50, but if you weren't all level 57+ you weren't going to get the the end in one run. I guess the 4 hour run was a turn-off for some too.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Darielle wrote:

It keeps the idea of Normal mode being more relevant and prevents LFR people being bored with the patch by the end of April in one swoop.

I wonder if 5.2 is gonna be easier in normal than 5.0 was -- several of the fights were pretty tight in their tuning, even GC admitted erring in garalon, as an example.

but still dont see why 2 weeks between part 2 and 3, and 2 weeks between part 3 and 4.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Darielle wrote:

I wonder if 5.2 is gonna be easier in normal than 5.0 was -- several of the fights were pretty tight in their tuning, even GC admitted erring in garalon, as an example.

but still dont see why 2 weeks between part 2 and 3, and 2 weeks between part 3 and 4.

They posted about that...

Basically, the wanted to give the LFR crew 2 wings fairly early, but push the other 2 out so guilds doing normal progression would have a better chance to see it on normal first, rather than have already been farming it in LFR for weeks.

Since they are providing 2 wings reasonably early, I don't mind, it will still allow for earning the raid rep.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Archeth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 am

Fetzie wrote:Yeah, BRD's problem was that you started the instance at level 48-50, but if you weren't all level 57+ you weren't going to get the the end in one run. I guess the 4 hour run was a turn-off for some too.

That's a problem now. It wasn't a problem when BRD was relevant because you weren't supposed to clear the whole place in one run, it was more of an instanced zone to adventure/quest in so only finishing a part that matched your level, for you to return later for more, that was working as intended.

Obviously that's not how most players, especially nowadays, want to run instances.
Archeth

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 am

crap i LOVED running BRD and ST back when they were PITAs and required full 4-5 hr runs
i still prefer doing all of BRD in one go if i can...and actually miss the old ST

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:48 am

For ST, I do think I'd have preferred them to remove only the basement, and not the upper level with the trolls.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 am

I liked Lower ST as well, but only in a decent group. I wouldn't have minded having LFG only cover the top floor if we had the complete dungeon when zoning with a normal group.

Still, imagine: ST and BRD CHallenge Marathons. The horror!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 am

Gold : 3:27:15
silver: 4:14:29
bronze: sub 7 hrs

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General