patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Sagara » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:16 am

JoeBravo wrote:quick! somebody! find a something for Sagara to write about!
A way to force him might be useful too :P

Cross-post from the 5.1 topic. *cracking knuckles*
Time for more writing!

Chapter 0: Rumbles of Thunders (Day 0) : I etched the seventy-eight notch in my calendar-pole with my knife. It has been nearly three months since the debacle in Kun-Lai, and I had't reported back to Domination Point ever since. How could I? I looked down at my discarded armor, crumpled in a corner of my small room, then back up at my shield, hanging gracefully above the mess. The stern look of the Shattered Sun Crest seemed dismissive of my disdain for my armor, but I could not care for a war that had brought nothing to this world. I turned my back to the shield to leave my house. As the sun lazily rose over Kun-lai, I could still feel the sting of a cold morning on Binan. The locals had slowly begun the tasks of the day, preparing everything they would need to plant the first seeds of the year. I chatted a bit, then set myself to plow through the Northern field.

"Still not going back to your people then?" Cho had become a personal friend of mine over the days. An elder pandaren, Cho had trained alongside the Shado-pan for over four decades before a stray Mantid arrow had nearly taken his head off. Now one-eyed, he had returned to his home in Binan to help the best way he could. Both veterans of many fights, we had naturally become close - I think he thought of me as a younger sibling of sorts. "Not today, Cho. The field needs to be plowed before end of the week, or we'll probably miss the first rains. Food is scarce enough, we can't afford to lose any." I was eluding, and he knew it, but did not press on. The morning lazied away like that, toiling in the simple earth, among simple people, like it had for the past months. Vol'jin had gone to parts unknown, while Chen had come and gone a few times, as had a few non-natives. When noon came, I found myself above a shogi board at Cho's place.

"I still think you should at least warn your loved ones." I thought back to Dalaran, to that girl lying dead on the ground. I shaked my mind off of the image.
"I'm not even certain I have any loved ones anymore, Cho. Besides, who would play with you with me gone?"
"Many pandaren enjoy shogi, my friend." He chuckled "Although I'll admit few can even come close to my skills." Three moves passed. "You haven't used my spare armor stand either, Queldan. You'll be sore for days when you'll put it on again."

Silence. I sighed and made my move. "Maybe I shouldn't wear it, then." Cho sighed in turn, stood and paced to a black kimono, crowned by a "limao", the name of the straw hats all Shado-pan wore.
"Queldan, I've tried to avoid this conversation-"
I growled annoyingly.
"Hear me out. I understand you, I really do - because I'm just as evil as you are-"
I began to stand and tried to interject, but he would not stop.
"On my first day on the wall, I was so terrified I was lost to an errand Sha. I wounded three men before they could get me back. My brother died when his commander ordered a suicide attack against a critical Mantid position. And as for my wife..." He trailed. "Better you not know what the Mogu do to their prisoners."
I stood silent, dumbfounded as he traced a finger over his hollow socket.
"I feel as much shame and anger and apathy as you, friend. And I wish I could till the fields for the rest of my life, see my daughter give birth and raise a grandchild. But if I'm not ready to leave it all behind, bleed and die in a lonely corner of the world in a single breath, they might all die or worse."
"But sometimes even doing the right thing won't change anything! I-"
He snapped back "Don't you think I know that? Fourty years on the wall, and i have seen countless stories like ours! This life- in the field, it IS good, Queldan. You've seen it - lived it! But it is not for us. Like all those countless stories, we are not to be behind the wall. We are to BE the wall. Because if our brick tumbles, the whole wall goes down."
I was silent in shame.
"I will be leaving tonight, friend. There is news that the Mogu are again on the rise, in their home island to the North. Even if I can't fight much, the Shado-pan will need every helping hand it can get." He stepped back to the shogi board and made his move before speaking again. "When I will come back, we'll finish this game, telling each other our new stories. For now, I must prepare myself." Cho went up the stairs, leaving me in silence. It took me a few minutes to leave the house, before crumbling on the doorstep.

The weather had taken a sudden turn for the worse - the rain was already pouring on my house's roof, and thunder rumbled in the distance. A moody weather for a moody Blood elf, I drily noted. I was too angry to find any sleep tonight, anger at both at Cho and myself. There wasn't really anyone to blame for all of this - everyone from Cho to Garrosh had done what they had believed right, in their own warped sense. People had died because of them, as people had died because of me. I stood back up, and came face to face to my old Shattered Sun Shield once again. Quel'danas... How I miss you so. And mother, mother who had stood vigil for decades on the island, like Cho had. Had she seen as many death and destruction before her own demise? I paced to my old shield, the one I had bought on the island and that had never left my side since. I was in a half-trance when I smelled the smoke in the air and the screams on the wind.

My heart raced when I was at the doorstep. The girl from Dalaran was dying all over again. Fire had broken out from the smithy, but that was little compared to the immense figures rising at the village's entrance, clad in blood-red armor. Mogu. As Cho had warned, the Mogu had come to claim the town. The villagers were fleeing, but the bridge to the nearby Jinyu town was already in flames, cutting off escape. To the South, Sauroks. East and West, water and cliffs. To the North, Mogu. Binan was a deathtrap. The Mogu began to march - half a dozen in total. They fanned out quickly - they were probably planning to corral the villagers and take them prisoner. They passed my house without looking, giving me free way to the North and Eastwind Rest, or maybe One Keg. One of the children screamed. I ran.

A female was guarding her cubs, facing bravely the mogu soldier, who chuckled at the sight. He hefted his spear for the killing blow but fell flat on his face screaming - losing his foot does that to you. He just had enough time to turn his head and see my axe falling on his neck before his head went flying. "Go to the Villager Place, and don't look back! Grab everyone you can with you! GO!" I must have looked ridicilous with just my pants on and a woodchopper's axe, but they were too terrified to notice, and just ran for it. My hair was falling on my face and my body was chivering with cold, but there was still a job ahead. I charged the two mogu heading my way, and there was fear in their eyes. For the first time in months, I prayed for the Light, and the Light answered.

It was over in less than ten minutes, give or take. The absence of armor had been the deal-breaker this time around - in the cramped quarters of the village, I could easily move around the immense Mogu, whose weapons were bumping against walls when they tried to lift them, and whose armor blocked their movement. They hadn't protected their legs, and couldn't dodge when down. We had three dead and two more wounded in the panic, but the fire had been put out. I stooped over one of the dead and stared in Cho's one good eye.

"And now, you're going to ask me to go do the good deeds you can't anymore, right? Egoistical till the end, right, friend?"

The rain was still falling when I had my armor was back on. The ties were all wrong, but I would have time enough to put them back in place soon enough. The Shattered Sun Crest looked at me omniously, but I saw approval in the black sockets as I raised my hand to unhang it. To spend decades in the filth, so that others may till the field and raise the children. I was musing about ever having children of my own when I stopped at Cho's home. I took one long look at the Shado-pan's helm. No, it would not do Cho honor - this helm represented Pandaria, and despite my love of its people, it was not my place. I placed a hand on the shogi board, and lifted its king piece. Yes, that would do much better.

The Horde was waiting, and the Mogu were waiting. It might not have been everything I had dreamed of, but with the help of those of good will, and if I gave it my all, maybe we could make this world just a bit better for our own children, like our parents before us.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Darielle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Teranoid wrote:BRD is still ridiculously terrible no matter how much you break it up.

BRD was probably one of the better dungeons in the game; it's just from an entirely different era where dungeons had a different purpose.

It's part of why I hate that they completely REMOVED the old Sunken Temple and that kind of stuff instead of recreating it (and leaving the old version in).
Last edited by Darielle on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darielle

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Darielle wrote:
Teranoid wrote:BRD is still ridiculously terrible no matter how much you break it up.

BRD was probably one of the better dungeons in the game; it's just from an entirely different era where dungeons had a different purpose.

It's part of why I hate that they completely REMOVED the old Sunken Temple and that kind of stuff instead of recreating it (and leaving the old version in).

BRD should have been a raid.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Darielle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Meh, it would have been out of place as a raid. As it was, it was like a choose-your-adventure that tied in many parts of the world, and had one of the better questlines in the game (Onyxia).
Darielle

Postby Teranoid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Darielle wrote:

These dungeons lately have been bad enough with tanks that don't speak english/have never been there before/ignore party chat that I couldn't imagine sitting through "OKAY WAIT WE HAVE TO DO THESE STATUES THE RIGHT WAY OTHERWI- oh fuck it.. /leave group"

The problem with BRD is when you zone in unless you're like 57 or something you have absolutely no idea which section you're on unless you meander your way around. It's to the point where I'd rather get 2 min of questing in between being steamrolled by bored lvl 90s than sit through another run of that hellhole.
Teranoid

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Darielle wrote:Meh, it would have been out of place as a raid. As it was, it was a sandbox that tied in many parts of the world, and had one of the better questlines in the game (Onyxia).

True, and it was from the time where you were lucky to complete one dungeon a week. Agreed on Sunken Temple.. our raids now are what dungeons used to be.

halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Teranoid wrote:The problem with BRD is when you zone in unless you're like 57 or something you have absolutely no idea which section you're on unless you meander your way around. It's to the point where I'd rather get 2 min of questing in between being steamrolled by bored lvl 90s than sit through another run of that hellhole.

Well, the problem is it's not broken up, but the quests are, and there's no way to know where the parts are, unless you ran it every day back in the day. Could be a raid now.

halabar

Postby Teranoid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:46 pm

halabar wrote:
Darielle wrote:Meh, it would have been out of place as a raid. As it was, it was a sandbox that tied in many parts of the world, and had one of the better questlines in the game (Onyxia).

True, and it was from the time where you were lucky to complete one dungeon a week. Agreed on Sunken Temple.. our raids now are what dungeons used to be.

But those were also designed in a time where it was widely accepted that you had to raid 20+ hours a week to kill raid bosses so 4 1/2 hour dungeons were a given.

Now people can't even sit through a 10 min heroic or spend more than 2 hours wiping on a boss before crying its too hard.
Teranoid

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm

It makes me sad that there is no place in the game for huge dungeons like BRD. When leveling my second paladin I did a lot of BRD and BRS via LFD and other than a few frustrations they worked surprisingly well (maybe I got lucky?) but the people who hate them are more vocal than those who enjoy them. I like the idea of a dungeon actually feeling like a dungeon, filled with quests, lore, rooms, locked doors and optional bosses instead of a series of corridors you blast through in 15 minutes just to get your badges or whatever.

I can understand why they were hated back in vanilla but I put that down to crippling tank shortages and people not knowing how to play the game back then rather than them being bad dungeons.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Lieris wrote:I can understand why they were hated back in vanilla but I put that down to crippling tank shortages and people not knowing how to play the game back then rather than them being bad dungeons.

Wasn't a big hatred for BRD being the huge level range it was designed for? Low 50s to high 50s in one dungeon just served as an annoyance.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby djlar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

So they did Water (ice) on Wotlk, fire (firelands, bigarse firebreathing dragon on Cata), IDK about Pandaria, new land AKA earth? so what's left is wind, next xpac could be in the sky... (and no more continents to surface on Azeroth)
djlar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 pm

We already killed the Wind elemental guy...

we could go back to space though!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Flex wrote:
Lieris wrote:I can understand why they were hated back in vanilla but I put that down to crippling tank shortages and people not knowing how to play the game back then rather than them being bad dungeons.

Wasn't a big hatred for BRD being the huge level range it was designed for? Low 50s to high 50s in one dungeon just served as an annoyance.

That probably didn't help either.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Lieris wrote:It makes me sad that there is no place in the game for huge dungeons like BRD. When leveling my second paladin I did a lot of BRD and BRS via LFD and other than a few frustrations they worked surprisingly well (maybe I got lucky?) but the people who hate them are more vocal than those who enjoy them. I like the idea of a dungeon actually feeling like a dungeon, filled with quests, lore, rooms, locked doors and optional bosses instead of a series of corridors you blast through in 15 minutes just to get your badges or whatever.

I can understand why they were hated back in vanilla but I put that down to crippling tank shortages and people not knowing how to play the game back then rather than them being bad dungeons.

The only thing that I dislike about BRD now is the fact that you are lost in regards to what areas to go to at what levels. They should adjust it so it's just a lvl 57 dungeon with a ton of quests. Would be more fun and much less confusing.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:41 pm

I'd rather level in blasted lands than do BRD on LFD
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General