patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 am

Sorry, I was thinking of what you do if you get rid of tank stat gear all around, not what you do with Paladins in current situation. Getting all mixed up between the "what should happen" and "what do we do right now" conversations.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 am

KysenMurrin wrote:You don't need to change the gear distribution at all. Just replace existing tank plate drops with dps plate drops. Though I guess it leaves Shields as the odd item out.

Make shields a token item. Shield token Dropped! Who gets it! Shaman? Warrior? Paladin?

It's not a great solution, but it does make it easier to handle.
Shoju

Postby Sagara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Sorry, I was thinking of what you do if you get rid of tank stat gear all around, not what you do with Paladins in current situation. Getting all mixed up between the "what should happen" and "what do we do right now" conversations.

I thought about a long-term solution on the way from work. Warriors need haste scaling, and we would ALL need crit scaling. Haste wouldn't be though to get for Warrs, as they had that during beta. Crit would be a thougher cookie to crack... Unless out HoPo generators produced 2 HoPo on crits. Same for warriors wirh double rage gen. DK, I'm stumped :-(
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 am

Not Paladin related: Something to look for in the next expac is casters losing some (maybe a lot) of their instant cast spells - Blizzard want to get rid of blanket silence effects and make interrupting a bigger deal in PvP, but are no longer going to do it in 5.2 because to work they'd have to get rid of a lot of instants at the same time.
We think the time has come to revert some of the PvP nerfs that we made for noble reasons, but which aren't working out. Specifically, we wanted to remove blanket silences and shift the game back more towards casting and interrupts. We think the continual arms race between instant spells, silences and silence immunity isn't good for the long term health of PvP. It is a shift we still plan to make, but we don't think patch 5.2 is the right time to make it. There are a great deal of instant spells and we don't think it is fair or reasonable to remove them all and force so many players (many of whom might not even participate in PvP) to re-learn their class mid-expansion.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 am

Sagara wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Sorry, I was thinking of what you do if you get rid of tank stat gear all around, not what you do with Paladins in current situation. Getting all mixed up between the "what should happen" and "what do we do right now" conversations.

I thought about a long-term solution on the way from work. Warriors need haste scaling, and we would ALL need crit scaling. Haste wouldn't be though to get for Warrs, as they had that during beta. Crit would be a thougher cookie to crack... Unless out HoPo generators produced 2 HoPo on crits. Same for warriors wirh double rage gen. DK, I'm stumped :-(

On crit increases your chance to parry or dodge the next melee atrack against you by 50% via buff 2 sec icd. If you parry or dodge the attack all cooldowns shorter than 10 seconds base are reset.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sagara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 am

DK tanks have short CDs? I thought everything was rune-based...

Sagara

Postby twinkfist » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am

saw some of the stats for the lionheart blade. 463 ilvl and it appears BOE...but it looks like it was datamined so that could be wrong.

that being said...not sure how i feel about the BOE part of it...i mean, i'm going to be able to make a whole lot of loot...but at the same time...i don't know. i think i'm going to work on getting my dk up with alchemy...so i can make myself some living steel.

actually, if it's boe...that doesn't really make any sense. people that buy it won't be able to upgrade it unless they make it like enchanting where you put it in the slot and then the blacksmith upgrades your weapon if he can.
Last edited by twinkfist on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinkfist

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Nooska wrote:I like Sags thought about GC unlinked from CS/HotR and linked to avoidance (and have thus tweeted that suggestion specifically to GC).

Hey now, credit where credit's due!
Sagara wrote:I like theck's idea of linking our Avoidance with GC, maybe even remove the interaction with CS/HotR. GC will remain a very random proc, but its link will "reward", or more realisticly "stop punish" Avoidance items.

/flex

Sagara wrote:Getting back to haste, the second half of the coin, I'm still of a mind of simply kicking SoB in the nuts and get back to it in 6.0 by making all tanks value crit/haste and just doing away with dodge/parry ratings.

I don't think they'll actually axe SoB. While it would certainly address the problem head-on, it would also aggravate a lot of players who've made gear decisions based on the paradigm. That doesn't mean they won't do it, but it's a much more important consideration to them than you'd think.

Regarding GC turning into an avoidance proc instead of a CS/HotR proc:
Klaudandus wrote:its effectiveness is proportional to the number of targets you're tanking and also affected by the lvl of your target, as a boss is less likely to be dodged/parried

Yes and no. A flat % chance on every avoid would work that way, but the concept of an internal cooldown isn't foreign to them either. "When you dodge or parry an attack, you have a 50% chance of (blah blah blah). Cannot occur more than once every Y seconds."

For example, set Y to ~6 seconds and AoE tanking won't be that different than single-target.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Problem is, I dont see how it would make Dodge/Parry better than Haste... in any case, I feel we would just switch to Accuracy/Mastery instead. Whatever bonus we get from avoidance is just icing on top, not something I see us look forward to.

Of course, I could be very wrong
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Problem is, I dont see how it would make Dodge/Parry better than Haste... in any case, I feel we would just switch to Accuracy/Mastery instead. Whatever bonus we get from avoidance is just icing on top, not something I see us look forward to.

Of course, I could be very wrong

Not That There's Anything Wrong With That. Remember, they want to change the Haste/Avoidance equilibrum. Mastery can blow it out of the water by 300% for all they care.

Sagara

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm

That all depends on the proc rate and ICD, I think, but in any event I don't think their goal is to suddenly make dodge/parry better than everything else either. They said they want to narrow the gap, not reverse the gearing paradigm (even if doing so would be better in the long term).
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I still think it might better to take dodge/parry away... just like other guys here have suggested. or at least consolidate it to a single stat (avoidance), so we dont get stuck with a piece of gear that is dodge/parry
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Paladin -
We knew haste would be attractive to Protection when we gave them Sanctity of Battle, which
only Retribution had previously. That's why we gave them Sanctity of Battle. Even if you have a
tanking set with no haste, there are haste buffs in the game. We wanted all the tanks to benefit
somewhat from what were traditionally DPS stats, since part of the active mitigation design was to
make tanks care more about hitting things with sword (and claws). It only gets to be a problem, as I
said previously, if dodge and parry (which are going to be on some gear) are perceived as pointless. (They aren't pointless, but that's really beside the point at this stage.) We aren't going to reitemize
every plate piece in the game to remove dodge and parry. We also don't want to nerf haste for
paladins, because it is fun, and for the most part working as intended. We don't have a solution yet
that we're willing to share, but that's the intent. I state all this, because I feel like this already long
thread has become a bit too dominated by this one topic in the past few pages.
---
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 pm

I don't really agree with you on dodge/parry getting removed. I think it's probably good that there are distinct "tank plate" and "DPS plate" categories. The problem is that tank plate just isn't attractive to us right now. And it's partially because, despite their opinion to the contrary, dodge and parry really are pointless right now.

(Conjecture: for dodge/parry not to be pointless, they need to have some niche which they fill. Right now that niche is TDR, and basically nothing else. If we cared about TDR, they'd have a point. Until we do, though, they're filling a niche nobody cares about. They're about as relevant to us as strength mail would be to a shaman.)

In any event, I'd much rather see them remove hit/expertise, and if they do that and remove dodge/parry then we're going to have very few choices on gear to begin with.
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm

So give us some baseline hit and exp, so we dont hog all the hit/exp gear?
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General