Remove Advertisements

patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:41 pm

-You succeeded at Active mitigation - avoidance is by definition passive mitigation - regretting the change?
-Re:Nope. We think active mitigation is more fun. Just need to decide what to do about dodge and parry long term.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Newsom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:51 pm

If they just make haste worthless again I'm rerolling warrior. Can't stand the 1.5 sec snoozefest any more after having had this much fun with haste.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Klaudandus wrote:-You succeeded at Active mitigation - avoidance is by definition passive mitigation - regretting the change?
-Re:Nope. We think active mitigation is more fun. Just need to decide what to do about dodge and parry long term.

Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Not going to try and quote-reply to everyone, but here are some choice comments on the last few pages:

It's sort of silly that we value haste so much and avoidance so little. That's not ideal from a design perspective for a number of reasons (loot competition, tier sets, etc.). As I said on twitter last night, I miss looking forward to seeing dodge/parry gear drop.

That said, I also think people are overvaluing haste, and losing sight of the overall picture. If you look back at the simulations, it wasn't haste that stood out, it was hit/exp. Getting to hit/exp cap was the #1 best thing you can do for smoothing damage. After that, haste and mastery were more or less tied, with avoidance trailing only slightly. Haste isn't a ZOMGAMAZING survivability stat, it's just better than the alternatives once you're at hit/exp caps.

The other thing that's important to note is haste's DPS contribution. Now that we do respectable DPS with Vengeance, tank DPS is a big deal. If you're given the choice between two secondary stats that give you similar survivability (haste and mastery), but one of those stats gives a significant DPS increase and the other one doesn't, which one is the logical choice?

In short, if haste is going to be such a good DPS stat, it can't also be a competitive survivability stat. Otherwise it just makes everything else irrelevant. You could actually make the same arguments for hit/exp, but I think we're in an era where those are considered "acceptable" tanking stats, so they must not consider it as big a problem.

I agree with some of the comments that suggest they put too much stock in TDR. They've been doing that for years, in my opinion. And from that perspective, haste is fine, because it's terrible for TDR. So are hit and expertise. I think that's probably how we got into this situation in the first place. Sooner or later they're going to have to shift their design focus around how stats perform in spike metrics rather than TDR. Hopefully this situation encourages them to do that.

We've been gearing to survive burst rather than TDR for the last 3 expansions now, and dodge/parry have been more or less "garbage" the entire time. The problem we're seeing here isn't solely a problem with hit, expertise, or haste. It's a problem with avoidance. Avoidance is reminiscent of an era where the majority of a tank's survivability happened outside of a raid, while they were selecting and optimizing their gear. Then they showed up to raid and stood there, taking attacks to the face. That era is long gone, especially with active mitigation.

What we really need is some mechanic that makes avoidance interesting again. Something that ties avoidance into our active mitigation, so that we're excited when we see an avoided attack because it lets us do something. Think Revenge for warriors. Maybe avoids could be added to Grand Crusader, or we'd get a buff that increases the duration or effectiveness of our next SotR when we avoid (with some % chance), or whatever.

Regarding nerfing SotR, the effect depends on how they do it. There are definitely ways to nerf SotR that will reduce the value of hit/exp/haste without affecting mastery or avoidance much. And of course, they could just nerf or remove Sanctity of Battle to target haste specifically. I don't think they will, because it was given to us precisely so that we would get a defensive benefit from haste. I just don't think they realized how competitive it would be with traditional tanking stats.

Which is ironic, in a way. We begged for SoB because we were the only tank that didn't get a survivability benefit from haste effects (DKs got runes, Warriors/Bears got rage), and that was a problem. So they gave us SoB and then took away the haste scaling for prot warriors. Oops? Maybe we're better-off without SoB now, to put us on an even footing with Warriors (we'd still have SS/EF/SoI scaling, at least).

While someone in the thread tossed aside concerns about re-gearing, it's something they definitely worry about. They've publicly stated in the past that they hesitated on changes (block cap, for example) because they didn't want the playerbase to feel like they had to reforge and regem all of the sudden. That's even more problematic in this situation, because it's not just a simple reforge/regem problem. It's a complete replacement of many pieces of gear, some of which have probably been upgraded with valor points. That makes the stakes a lot higher, and they know it.

In any event, we'll have to see what they do to SotR. I'm not sure a small nerf would actually change our gearing preferences though. It certainly won't be enough to encourage us to stack avoidance, but I also think that they're going to be delicate here because of gearing concerns. It would be very difficult to nerf SotR enough to make hit/exp less appealing than avoidance without making SotR irrelevant. They might manage to push haste slightly behind mastery and avoidance in terms of survivability, but again, it would be hard to put it too far behind through SotR nerfs alone. And even then, there's the DPS angle to consider.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Newsom wrote:If they just make haste worthless again I'm rerolling warrior. Can't stand the 1.5 sec snoozefest any more after having had this much fun with haste.

I'm not sure that makes much sense.

First of all, even in full heroic gear, you're not likely to have much more than 10% melee haste. So your GCDs are now... 1.36 seconds? Certainly an improvement, but not a huge difference. Hardly enough to qualify 1.5 seconds as a snoozefest.

Second of all... you'd be rerolling to a character that also has no haste scaling. So you'd be going from one 1.5-sec snoozefest to another?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm

theckhd wrote:Not going to try and quote-reply to everyone, but here are some choice comments on the last few pages:

It's sort of silly that we value haste so much and avoidance so little. That's not ideal from a design perspective for a number of reasons (loot competition, tier sets, etc.). As I said on twitter last night, I miss looking forward to seeing dodge/parry gear drop.

That said, I also think people are overvaluing haste, and losing sight of the overall picture. If you look back at the simulations, it wasn't haste that stood out, it was hit/exp. Getting to hit/exp cap was the #1 best thing you can do for smoothing damage. After that, haste and mastery were more or less tied, with avoidance trailing only slightly. Haste isn't a ZOMGAMAZING survivability stat, it's just better than the alternatives once you're at hit/exp caps.

The other thing that's important to note is haste's DPS contribution. Now that we do respectable DPS with Vengeance, tank DPS is a big deal. If you're given the choice between two secondary stats that give you similar survivability (haste and mastery), but one of those stats gives a significant DPS increase and the other one doesn't, which one is the logical choice?

In short, if haste is going to be such a good DPS stat, it can't also be a competitive survivability stat. Otherwise it just makes everything else irrelevant. You could actually make the same arguments for hit/exp, but I think we're in an era where those are considered "acceptable" tanking stats, so they must not consider it as big a problem.

I agree with some of the comments that suggest they put too much stock in TDR. They've been doing that for years, in my opinion. And from that perspective, haste is fine, because it's terrible for TDR. So are hit and expertise. I think that's probably how we got into this situation in the first place. Sooner or later they're going to have to shift their design focus around how stats perform in spike metrics rather than TDR. Hopefully this situation encourages them to do that.

We've been gearing to survive burst rather than TDR for the last 3 expansions now, and dodge/parry have been more or less "garbage" the entire time. The problem we're seeing here isn't solely a problem with hit, expertise, or haste. It's a problem with avoidance. Avoidance is reminiscent of an era where the majority of a tank's survivability happened outside of a raid, while they were selecting and optimizing their gear. Then they showed up to raid and stood there, taking attacks to the face. That era is long gone, especially with active mitigation.

What we really need is some mechanic that makes avoidance interesting again. Something that ties avoidance into our active mitigation, so that we're excited when we see an avoided attack because it lets us do something. Think Revenge for warriors. Maybe avoids could be added to Grand Crusader, or we'd get a buff that increases the duration or effectiveness of our next SotR when we avoid (with some % chance), or whatever.

Regarding nerfing SotR, the effect depends on how they do it. There are definitely ways to nerf SotR that will reduce the value of hit/exp/haste without affecting mastery or avoidance much. And of course, they could just nerf or remove Sanctity of Battle to target haste specifically. I don't think they will, because it was given to us precisely so that we would get a defensive benefit from haste. I just don't think they realized how competitive it would be with traditional tanking stats.

Which is ironic, in a way. We begged for SoB because we were the only tank that didn't get a survivability benefit from haste effects (DKs got runes, Warriors/Bears got rage), and that was a problem. So they gave us SoB and then took away the haste scaling for prot warriors. Oops? Maybe we're better-off without SoB now, to put us on an even footing with Warriors (we'd still have SS/EF/SoI scaling, at least).

While someone in the thread tossed aside concerns about re-gearing, it's something they definitely worry about. They've publicly stated in the past that they hesitated on changes (block cap, for example) because they didn't want the playerbase to feel like they had to reforge and regem all of the sudden. That's even more problematic in this situation, because it's not just a simple reforge/regem problem. It's a complete replacement of many pieces of gear, some of which have probably been upgraded with valor points. That makes the stakes a lot higher, and they know it.

In any event, we'll have to see what they do to SotR. I'm not sure a small nerf would actually change our gearing preferences though. It certainly won't be enough to encourage us to stack avoidance, but I also think that they're going to be delicate here because of gearing concerns. It would be very difficult to nerf SotR enough to make hit/exp less appealing than avoidance without making SotR irrelevant. They might manage to push haste slightly behind mastery and avoidance in terms of survivability, but again, it would be hard to put it too far behind through SotR nerfs alone. And even then, there's the DPS angle to consider.

Only thing missing from this post is the "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" theme playing in the background.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Newsom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

theckhd wrote:
Newsom wrote:If they just make haste worthless again I'm rerolling warrior. Can't stand the 1.5 sec snoozefest any more after having had this much fun with haste.

I'm not sure that makes much sense.

First of all, even in full heroic gear, you're not likely to have much more than 10% melee haste. So your GCDs are now... 1.36 seconds? Certainly an improvement, but not a huge difference. Hardly enough to qualify 1.5 seconds as a snoozefest.

Second of all... you'd be rerolling to a character that also has no haste scaling. So you'd be going from one 1.5-sec snoozefest to another?

Ehm... I'm currently at 25% melee haste unbuffed and still quite a few pieces off my personal best in slot gear.

Warriors feel way more active - more stuff off the global cooldown and parry feels like a fun stat. Also banners are awesome. I'm probably overreacting but protection paladin feels sooo good currently.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Newsom wrote:I'm probably overreacting but protection paladin feels sooo good currently.

There's never been overreaction on this forum!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Flex wrote:
Newsom wrote:I'm probably overreacting but protection paladin feels sooo good currently.

There's never been overreaction on this forum!

NEEEEEVEEER!

:pokerface:
---
Klaudandus

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm

As I said on twitter last night, I miss looking forward to seeing dodge/parry gear drop.

I don't miss this that much because it pretty much never happened for me. Dodge/parry has always been the mediocre stat that happens to show up on our tanking gear. For a time in Sunwell I was really excited about stacking ridiculous amounts of Defense, I guess.

I like Haste, not so much Crit, on tanking gear. I think the optimal solution is probably just to get rid of dodge/parry as things and homogenize a bit more, oddly. Maybe a new stat that combines them in a more interesting way.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Technically when ToC was out, Dodge/Parry was like woohoo because we were at Parry Capping Expertise without trying for it.

I like Haste, not so much Crit, on tanking gear. I think the optimal solution is probably just to get rid of dodge/parry as things and homogenize a bit more, oddly. Maybe a new stat that combines them in a more interesting way.

I think consolidating them into one stat is good (say Leather gets Dodge and Plate gets Parry - the actual stat being whatever, they could even make it "Defense"). I think the MAIN thing is that it needs to be in some way part of what we do.

Dodging as a Bear feels good. Because you're pushing buttons to Dodge, so getting a payoff is nice. Popping Berserk or Incarnation and just dodging all the things, awesome. It's semi-OK for a Warrior*, although it really isn't all that exciting on single target, and frankly a little dumb on true aoe with just how MUCH Revenge happens. Those kinds of interactions are good, and those are what they should be trying for.

*I'd actually speculate that it's because of the way Revenge works that they've felt OK with Warriors not scaling with Haste.
Last edited by Darielle on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darielle

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Darielle wrote:Technically when ToC was out, Dodge/Parry was like woohoo because we were at Parry Capping Expertise without trying for it.

And the tier before we were spell-capping hit without trying for it :)
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:09 pm

And then we got hit by Icecrown Radiance just like Theck predicted, when they had said Sunwell Radiance was not gonna happen again according to their calculations...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Klaudandus wrote:And then we got hit by Icecrown Radiance just like Theck predicted, when they had said Sunwell Radiance was not gonna happen again according to their calculations...

...Which they made before thinking about a permanent "heroic mode" tier of gear for ToC and ICC :/

Fetzie

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm

I highly doubt they were "planning" on Item Upgrades and Thunderforging causing them to shove Normal Mode next tier all the way up to 522 and crossing the 540 mark already either. Inflation is going to be way harder than it was even in ToC.

Actually, one thing I totally missed out when I was thinking about 100% crit Fury Warriors was something closer to Home. It's entirely plausible that Bears could be Armor Capped without trying (and definitely with trying) at some point in this expansion (most likely T16, almost definitely T17 if we end up having one).
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to General