Remove Advertisements

patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 am

Flex wrote:Paladins be a whiny bunch.

When neither the lead systems developer nor his subordinates even acknowledge our questions, which are based in empirical testing and sound reasoning while holding an intense discourse with players asking questions about the other tank classes and writing pages of twitter answers on the topic (and even forgetting to even MENTION the paladin T15 bonuses in the thread explaining their intent with the bonuses), you can perhaps excuse us for being a bit pissed off.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Newsom » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 am

Delicious whining.
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Thels » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:58 am

I'm not too bothered about Protection not performing all too well when soloing. Sure, it's occasionally a drag to have to constantly respec (though it helps if you macro it, so you only need to click 2 buttons each time you want to respec), and it's very annoying if you do it at the farm, and have the farm disappear. But it's a little odd to call it fine. It takes forever to beat like 2 of those rodents on your farm, while on ret, you click 2 or 3 buttons and they're down.

As for PvP, I don't think they ever thought Tank specs should be viable in PvP.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby jere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 am

Fetzie wrote: and you can never pull more than 5-6 together to try and get some Vengeance because the damn things go on evade if you run too far.

I can't see the youtube video from here, so out of curiosity is this in reference to certain mobs? I find in general that what you state isn't the case for most mobs. You just have to make sure to stop and hit everything (HotR works good here) evey 5 or 6 seconds. I don't usually have trouble pulling 10+ things as long as I remember pop speed of light run back, HotR everything, and then continue on to pulling. There are a few mobs that are actually an issue (the cranes at the temple of the red crane area come to mind), but most mobs, including the rare spawns are not tethered to a location. At least most of the ones associated with dailies/quests/rares.
jere

Postby Thels » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 am

jere wrote:I can't see the youtube video from here, so out of curiosity is this in reference to certain mobs?

The youtube vid is more of a smilie. It's not WoW related.

And there's an item dropping from one of the rare spawns that pulls all mobs in a 40 yard radius. Might be helpful when soloing as prot.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

jere wrote:
Fetzie wrote: and you can never pull more than 5-6 together to try and get some Vengeance because the damn things go on evade if you run too far.

I can't see the youtube video from here, so out of curiosity is this in reference to certain mobs? I find in general that what you state isn't the case for most mobs. You just have to make sure to stop and hit everything (HotR works good here) evey 5 or 6 seconds. I don't usually have trouble pulling 10+ things as long as I remember pop speed of light run back, HotR everything, and then continue on to pulling. There are a few mobs that are actually an issue (the cranes at the temple of the red crane area come to mind), but most mobs, including the rare spawns are not tethered to a location. At least most of the ones associated with dailies/quests/rares.

I must be one of the few that actually *likes* questing as prot (read: trying to grab a dozen or more mobs and mowing them down). Would I like it to go faster? Sure, but I like trying to see how much I can pull at a time, and using the time to work on practicing my rotation and survival. And I imagine 'I want quest kills to go faster' really applies to everyone.

I think I've run into some evade issues, but not terribly many, and usually that's when I don't keep damaging mobs or I move em like 100 yds or more. The most annoying are some of the quest mobs that seem to randomly evade bug out just as you grab enough of them. For me, it's when all I have to do is kill 1 high-health mob that I get annoyed, but it's never been enough to switch to ret for it.

*shrug*
benebarba

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Fetzie wrote:
Flex wrote:Paladins be a whiny bunch.

When neither the lead systems developer nor his subordinates even acknowledge our questions, which are based in empirical testing and sound reasoning while holding an intense discourse with players asking questions about the other tank classes and writing pages of twitter answers on the topic (and even forgetting to even MENTION the paladin T15 bonuses in the thread explaining their intent with the bonuses), you can perhaps excuse us for being a bit pissed off.

The Tankadin T15 bonuses were added to that thread and I linked the comments in an earlier post in this thread.
honorshammer

Postby jere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

benebarba wrote:I must be one of the few that actually *likes* questing as prot (read: trying to grab a dozen or more mobs and mowing them down). Would I like it to go faster? Sure, but I like trying to see how much I can pull at a time, and using the time to work on practicing my rotation and survival. And I imagine 'I want quest kills to go faster' really applies to everyone.

I like it as well. I prefer the playstyle when I quest.
jere

Postby Darielle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:52 pm

But it's a little odd to call it fine. It takes forever to beat like 2 of those rodents on your farm, while on ret, you click 2 or 3 buttons and they're down.

On a 16-farm, I just pull all the virmen/birds at once, pop AW/HA and pretty much everything is dead by the time AW ends. Not sure what the problem is.
Darielle

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 am

Darielle wrote:
But it's a little odd to call it fine. It takes forever to beat like 2 of those rodents on your farm, while on ret, you click 2 or 3 buttons and they're down.

On a 16-farm, I just pull all the virmen/birds at once, pop AW/HA and pretty much everything is dead by the time AW ends. Not sure what the problem is.

As Prot or as Ret? Admittedly, if there are 8 or 9 vermin, doing it as prot is probably around as fast as ret, due to how vengeance works. I still have no problem pulling them all at once and AoEing them down as ret. But if there's like only 1 or 2, you get zero vengeance as prot, and killing those few mobs takes like forever.

Ret is insanely much faster than Prot against 1 or 2 targets, and against a big group I can still survive well. Even if I'm taking a lot of damage and have to switch to SoI, I'm usually still doing more damage as Ret than as Prot, so I don't really see an intensive to go Prot for anything under 5 man HCs, where vengeance becomes enough to make Prot worthwhile.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Winkle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 am

So to get this straight, a DPS spec is better at DPS than a tank spec....ok...got it.
Winkle

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 am

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2505 ... us-issues/
- The Protection 4pc counts damage after all mitigation, and does count absorbed damage.
- The Retribution 4pc set bonus has changed. It now has a chance for Hammer of the Righteous or Crusader Strike to cause your next Divine Storm to cause extra damage to your target. The idea being that you might swap from TV to DS when you get the proc, so that the RNG is something you can actually do something with rather than it just being RNG for extra damage.
- Retribution now does 50% extra healing with Flash Heal. The Selfless Healer talent has been reduced to 20/40/60% bonus healing.
- Sacred Shield's absorb effect is now dispellable, but the periodic effect is not.
- Blinding Light has a 1.8 sec cast for Holy only. We think Holy's CC chains are too strong at the moment, but we don't think Ret or Prot need the nerf.

Still unsure how the 4pc bonus is any good for us. Seems way lackluster imo.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 am

The 4 piece is actually quite strong, but it's going to vary significantly based on content type. It'll be much weaker in 10N and 25N than in 10H and 25H. In 25H it's probably enough extra HP to "sotr-cap" for the duration of DP.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am

It feels like Blizz is trying really hard to bring me back. The DPS 2pc bonus for Dk's spawns Troll Ghosts to fight for you..... I.... Dear god. This is killing me.
Shoju

Postby benebarba » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am

Shoju wrote:It feels like Blizz is trying really hard to bring me back. The DPS 2pc bonus for Dk's spawns Troll Ghosts to fight for you..... I.... Dear god. This is killing me.

*hands shoju a paper bag to breathe into*

This too will pass.

On a serious note: any indication how/if JP/VP price conversion will happen? i.e. is the rep gear staying the same ilvl and rep requirements but going to JP, or something completely different?
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General