patch 5.2 ?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Nooska » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:04 am

Well some of the new VP gear will be behind reps, but not all of it.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 am

Nooska wrote:Well some of the new VP gear will be behind reps, but not all of it.

Do we actually know this or it's just speculating
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 8655
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am

It's what GC said in response to one of Nooska's tweets.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status ... 1599556610
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby benebarba » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:00 pm

halabar wrote:Well, like I said, the valor is now going back to the DS model, buy the rep gear, run LFR or raid for the other slots, then go afk for 3 months. ;-)


I'm waiting for a 'Best Experience' meme like we got with D3, too :P
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby benebarba » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Worldie wrote:
Nooska wrote:Well some of the new VP gear will be behind reps, but not all of it.

Do we actually know this or it's just speculating


well, and to put a more positive spin on the words: it's possible (but I imagine unlikely) none of it will.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 pm

One of the things I just realized... Gc said that 5.0 was not getting gradual nerfs because the vp upgrades were sort of a gradual buff to the raid... I wonder what will happen when the upgrades are removed
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9359
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Access to new LFR gear could serve the same purpose, depending on ilevel.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby theckhd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:06 pm

halabar wrote:Well, like I said, the valor is now going back to the DS model, buy the rep gear, run LFR or raid for the other slots, then go afk for 3 months. ;-)

I actually prefer that model. I should really finish up the blog post on that topic. I started it a month ago and then got distracted by other things.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 pm

From Twitter, including a tweet of mine GC actually replied to.

- 5.0 Raids will continue to drop valor, although not as much as it currently does
- There will be TWO reps in 5.2, one from the dailies, the other one is probably from the raid itself a la ICC
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9359
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah, two reps - the Horde/Alliance factions and Shado-Pan Assault inside the raid.

Edit: Looked it up, was in the initial patch notes before christmas: Kirin Tor Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fenris » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Tanks don't solo well, don't pvp well, and raid spots are rare. Responsibility aspect no different from healers.

Disagree. Tanks solo phenomenally well. They are also near mandatory as flag carriers for RBGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSHz7Thvbc

Guess GC has a definition of "phenomenally" quite different from mine
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Fenris
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:51 am
Location: Italy

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:53 pm

They solo incredibly well, in that they never die. Which kinda makes sense, because the mobs are tuned to not even endanger a clothie. It is just that you can't kill faster than the respawn timer because the mobs don't do enough damage to give any meaningful amount of Vengeance, and you can never pull more than 5-6 together to try and get some Vengeance because the damn things go on evade if you run too far. And if you can only ever pull 5 mobs anyway, why not go Retribution and be done in a tenth of the time?
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fenris » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

My point exactly

And i have done all the leveling and then 56+ dailies each day when capping reputations as protection (yeah,i hate myself),so i can't avoid laughing when he says things like that one

Pvp....I don't even care anymore at this point....
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Fenris
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:51 am
Location: Italy

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Fenris wrote:My point exactly

And i have done all the leveling and then 56+ dailies each day when capping reputations as protection (yeah,i hate myself),so i can't avoid laughing when he says things like that one

Pvp....I don't even care anymore at this point....


Yeah, I haven't set foot in a Battleground since a few weeks before MoP released and have only defended myself out in the world.

I levelled as Retribution, I did daily quests as Retribution. It took long enough as it did without any self-made hindrances.

A certain amount of sarcasm may have been used when writing that post, at least in the first sentence :)
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 am

Paladins be a whiny bunch.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 am

Flex wrote:Paladins be a whiny bunch.

When neither the lead systems developer nor his subordinates even acknowledge our questions, which are based in empirical testing and sound reasoning while holding an intense discourse with players asking questions about the other tank classes and writing pages of twitter answers on the topic (and even forgetting to even MENTION the paladin T15 bonuses in the thread explaining their intent with the bonuses), you can perhaps excuse us for being a bit pissed off.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Newsom » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 am

Delicious whining.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
User avatar
Newsom
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Thels » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:58 am

I'm not too bothered about Protection not performing all too well when soloing. Sure, it's occasionally a drag to have to constantly respec (though it helps if you macro it, so you only need to click 2 buttons each time you want to respec), and it's very annoying if you do it at the farm, and have the farm disappear. But it's a little odd to call it fine. It takes forever to beat like 2 of those rodents on your farm, while on ret, you click 2 or 3 buttons and they're down.

As for PvP, I don't think they ever thought Tank specs should be viable in PvP.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby jere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 am

Fetzie wrote: and you can never pull more than 5-6 together to try and get some Vengeance because the damn things go on evade if you run too far.


I can't see the youtube video from here, so out of curiosity is this in reference to certain mobs? I find in general that what you state isn't the case for most mobs. You just have to make sure to stop and hit everything (HotR works good here) evey 5 or 6 seconds. I don't usually have trouble pulling 10+ things as long as I remember pop speed of light run back, HotR everything, and then continue on to pulling. There are a few mobs that are actually an issue (the cranes at the temple of the red crane area come to mind), but most mobs, including the rare spawns are not tethered to a location. At least most of the ones associated with dailies/quests/rares.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Thels » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 am

jere wrote:I can't see the youtube video from here, so out of curiosity is this in reference to certain mobs?


The youtube vid is more of a smilie. It's not WoW related.

And there's an item dropping from one of the rare spawns that pulls all mobs in a 40 yard radius. Might be helpful when soloing as prot.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby benebarba » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

jere wrote:
Fetzie wrote: and you can never pull more than 5-6 together to try and get some Vengeance because the damn things go on evade if you run too far.


I can't see the youtube video from here, so out of curiosity is this in reference to certain mobs? I find in general that what you state isn't the case for most mobs. You just have to make sure to stop and hit everything (HotR works good here) evey 5 or 6 seconds. I don't usually have trouble pulling 10+ things as long as I remember pop speed of light run back, HotR everything, and then continue on to pulling. There are a few mobs that are actually an issue (the cranes at the temple of the red crane area come to mind), but most mobs, including the rare spawns are not tethered to a location. At least most of the ones associated with dailies/quests/rares.


I must be one of the few that actually *likes* questing as prot (read: trying to grab a dozen or more mobs and mowing them down). Would I like it to go faster? Sure, but I like trying to see how much I can pull at a time, and using the time to work on practicing my rotation and survival. And I imagine 'I want quest kills to go faster' really applies to everyone.

I think I've run into some evade issues, but not terribly many, and usually that's when I don't keep damaging mobs or I move em like 100 yds or more. The most annoying are some of the quest mobs that seem to randomly evade bug out just as you grab enough of them. For me, it's when all I have to do is kill 1 high-health mob that I get annoyed, but it's never been enough to switch to ret for it.

*shrug*
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Fetzie wrote:
Flex wrote:Paladins be a whiny bunch.

When neither the lead systems developer nor his subordinates even acknowledge our questions, which are based in empirical testing and sound reasoning while holding an intense discourse with players asking questions about the other tank classes and writing pages of twitter answers on the topic (and even forgetting to even MENTION the paladin T15 bonuses in the thread explaining their intent with the bonuses), you can perhaps excuse us for being a bit pissed off.


The Tankadin T15 bonuses were added to that thread and I linked the comments in an earlier post in this thread.
User avatar
honorshammer
Moderator
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby jere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

benebarba wrote:I must be one of the few that actually *likes* questing as prot (read: trying to grab a dozen or more mobs and mowing them down). Would I like it to go faster? Sure, but I like trying to see how much I can pull at a time, and using the time to work on practicing my rotation and survival. And I imagine 'I want quest kills to go faster' really applies to everyone.

I like it as well. I prefer the playstyle when I quest.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Darielle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:52 pm

But it's a little odd to call it fine. It takes forever to beat like 2 of those rodents on your farm, while on ret, you click 2 or 3 buttons and they're down.


On a 16-farm, I just pull all the virmen/birds at once, pop AW/HA and pretty much everything is dead by the time AW ends. Not sure what the problem is.
Darielle
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: patch 5.2 ?

Postby Thels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 am

Darielle wrote:
But it's a little odd to call it fine. It takes forever to beat like 2 of those rodents on your farm, while on ret, you click 2 or 3 buttons and they're down.


On a 16-farm, I just pull all the virmen/birds at once, pop AW/HA and pretty much everything is dead by the time AW ends. Not sure what the problem is.


As Prot or as Ret? Admittedly, if there are 8 or 9 vermin, doing it as prot is probably around as fast as ret, due to how vengeance works. I still have no problem pulling them all at once and AoEing them down as ret. But if there's like only 1 or 2, you get zero vengeance as prot, and killing those few mobs takes like forever.

Ret is insanely much faster than Prot against 1 or 2 targets, and against a big group I can still survive well. Even if I'm taking a lot of damage and have to switch to SoI, I'm usually still doing more damage as Ret than as Prot, so I don't really see an intensive to go Prot for anything under 5 man HCs, where vengeance becomes enough to make Prot worthwhile.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Worldie and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Worldie and 1 guest