Patch 5.1

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.1

Postby Darielle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:21 pm

You know who else should be hunting them? Jaina.

But wait, that would require effort and could actually be dangerous! So rather than go after the actual perpetrators, she'd rather take out her righteous anger on vendors, profession trainers and that guy who just wanted to withdraw his money from the bank, just because they (a) happen to have wrongly shaped ears and (b) can't realistically fight back.

The technical term for this behavior is 'collective punishment'. In our world, it is considered a war crime.

Not to mention that her accusations againt Aethas - namely, that he just turned a blind eye and let it happen - are particularly hypocritical considering that she made a career out of standing by and letting bad things happen. Starting from letting Arthas go to Northrend without even trying to stop him (she could freeze him, or polymorph him, or whatever) and ending with the latest fiasco. Yeah, he didn't stop Garrosh's agents from smuggling the Bell through Dalaran - but neither did she, and the Bell was entrusted personally to her for safeguarding.

One thing you're missing is that Blizzard designed the quests for perspective. Horde get the quest implying Jaina's running around killing innocents, Alliance get the quests involving targeted deaths while other people are just picked up or you go past them without doing anything.

Your last paragraph makes zero sense. It's trying to relate 3 different situations that don't actually relate.
Darielle

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 pm

I think the best thing about these dailies is that they don't feel grindy at all.

It took less than two weeks to get to exalted if you were doing absolutely everything, and most of the rep came from the storyside quests... more importantly, the storyside quests made it feel like things were changing thanks to you!

Blizz needs to learn about these dailies and make future reputation grinds like this.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Zalaria » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I think the best thing about these dailies is that they don't feel grindy at all.

It took less than two weeks to get to exalted if you were doing absolutely everything, and most of the rep came from the storyside quests... more importantly, the storyside quests made it feel like things were changing thanks to you!

Blizz needs to learn about these dailies and make future reputation grinds like this.

I'm not exalted yet (did you use the DM buff? I didn't) but I agree. These are the best dailies they've ever put in the game. My only complaint is Ogudei is too cramped.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:41 pm

I tend to skip it when Ogudei is the daily set.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Zalaria wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I think the best thing about these dailies is that they don't feel grindy at all.

I'm not exalted yet (did you use the DM buff? I didn't) but I agree. These are the best dailies they've ever put in the game. My only complaint is Ogudei is too cramped.

Nope, never used DMF. I always made sure to kill the ancient beast at the end of the dailies though.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:48 am

Holy carp, it's been just four days since my last report and I've already finished the storyline!

Four chapters will follow, so get your asses in gear, we're going for the endgame!

*** SPOILER ALERT AHOY ***

Chapter 10: The Divine Bell (Day 15) : The Horde scouts have reported today: the entrance to a mogu tomb looking suspiciously like the one we saw in Shan Kien's past has been discovered, and Ishi, a Blademaster close to Garrosh is on its way to the tomb. Considering the likelyhood of traps inside the tomb, they requested my help in exploring and locate the Divine Bell.

The journey was fairly calm, but the Night elven corpses before the tomb, as well as the blood on the orc's armor was a dead giveaway - the Alliance had somehow found out about the Bell. Ishi confirmed our suspicions, but had even more dire news - they were already inside, and closing in on the Bell. The orc platoon stayed outside to secure a way out, while Ishi accompanied us inside.

I cursed a bit inside - alone, it would have been simple to destroy or bury the Bell somehow and keep it out of everyone's hands - neither Garrosh nor the Alliance could be trusted with such a weapon. But with Ishi along, there was no way to keep the Bell hidden, and killing a fellow Horde, even a follower of Garrosh was nothing short of evil in a way that would have shamed even the Blood Knights back when we were founded.

I was so lost in thought and trying to dodge the now-familiar Mogu pressure plate traps that I never saw the attack until the first arrow bumped on my shoulderplate. The Night Elves had prepared an ambush - six against two, but there was no way they could have stopped us. I shoudl have guessed what their point was...

It quickly turned in a wild goose chase, as both groups tried to exploit all the traps - columns of fire rose, interrupted by the mighty swing of a mogu statue, knocking arrows out of the air. We were battered when we made it to what seemed like the main room of the tomb, that housed a... portal?

Delaying tactics - it had all been a setup to make us lose time until the Bell could be teleported away. The gate closed before our eyes, framing the lithe form of a Night Elf who began in rough Orcish - "Very well, I will face you myself. Face Sarannah Skyglaive - for the Alliance!".

Sounds of battle echoed in the silence of the tomb, with my eyes, a lonely Wisp, and the clashing of steel as only sources of light. She was good in the darkness of the tomb, but Ishi was better. A woman's shriek, steel clashing on the ground. Sarannah sat in a mix of our bloods, cradling the stump of her severed forearm - Ishi had not been kind to her.

"My death... means... nothing! The Bell is already in Darnassus! You filthy Horde will never have it!"

Ishi was not listening - his eyes focused on the pedestal where his prize had vanished.

"Maybe. You're bleeding out, Skyglaive, and you deserve a better end. Show your neck, so that I can ease your pain."

As my blade fell, I couldn't help but wonder if everything had not gone for the best.

Chapter 11: The Darnassus operation (Day 16) : The Horde's reaction to the loss of the Bell was swift and relentless - Nazgrim had an unusual job for me the very next day. Access to Darnassus had been closed off both by sea and by air - the proverbial fortress that was impassable from any physical angle. Bertrayal, however, had opened a pinpoint hole in their defenses, allowing entry.

Members of the Sunreaver (which remained unnamed for security reasons - not that I would love to hear the names of Blood Elf traitors) had hijacked a Silver Covenant portal that connected Dalaran to Darnassus. With some mumbo-jumbo about arcane rechanneling or wathever, they had managed to slip a portal of their own that led to the Night elven city. The portal was small and weak, so they had to send as few people as possible through. That's what they wanted us for - infiltrate Darnassus, and recapture the Divine Bell.

Fanlyr Silverthorn had already been dropped on-site, as were a handful of Sunreavers. This was a delicate diplomatic situation - should anyone learn of their involvement, the Kirin Tor would be enraged. As if Jaina wasn't already pissed enough about Garrosh already... The plan was clear and simple - I would enter the city under the cloak of the Sunreaver's magic, abscond with the Bell and get out without anyone noticing anything until we were long gone. Fighting was not an option, detection was not an option.

The city was relatively quiet - the patrols had been reinforced, but the bulk of the troops had probably been stationed at the various entry points by sea or air. Still, most civilians were out and about, unaware of the monstrous thing hidden below the city. Locating the Cenarion Enclave, then, was fairly easy.

Still, something was odd - but not on the Alliance's side. Even though using the Sunreaver portal to reach Darnassus was the only reasonable option, it was risky at best to have Sunreavers on-site - they could not provide any magical abilites the Magisters, or even the Forsaken or Garrosh's own orc mages could not. Their presence was at best a political disaster waiting to happen.

Another though crossed my mind as I delved inside the Enclave - fighting was stricly prohibited. Why then, send a full-plate wearing, wielder of the fury of the Holy Light Paladin on a stealth mission? It was with a heavy mind that I skipped past the last guards and finally found the center of all this show - the Divine Bell itself - a massive hung bell similar to those used by the Pandaren, that seemed to have been made of some dark-green material unlike stone or metal. How easy it would be to just smash the thing to bits there and then. I tried to scratch the surface with my glove - nothing. It would take a magister of the highest caliber, or some Light-forsaken Goblin contraption to destroy this behemoth.

Better keep the Bell close to home, and think of something later. I used a mini-portal back to Fanryl, who was already preparing another portal. Right, this might have been why Sunreavers had come along. We got the Bell to Silvermoon, and left the tree with another portal to Domination Point. Fanryl stayed behind a bit, to clean up our traces. Mission accomplished, and even though the Night elves could trace the theft back to the Horde, or to myself, the Sunreavers were safe. But I could not help but wonder wether they deserved it...

*** END OF SPOILERS ***
Last edited by Sagara on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Nooska » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 am

Thats only 2 chapters!
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 am

Nooska wrote:Thats only 2 chapters!

Do you mind? I'm typing in between orders!

I still have to pretend to work, yaknow!

Sagara

Postby Nooska » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 am

Okay, you're excused ;)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby benebarba » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 am

Man, now I feel like channeling my inner rp geek :p

But I think the alliance side I've done was already covered.
benebarba

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 am

I think it was lightly covered all in all - I still only have a partial view of what happened on the Blue side, like that Skyglaive was a moderatly important name for the Alliance part.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, one more part!

*** SPOILER ALERT AHOY ***

Chapter 12: The Purge of Dalaran (Day 17) : I held a dead girl in my arms. She couldn't have been out of her teens, yet there she was, dead on the cold stones of the city that had been her home her entire life. Her face and left side was marred by terrible burns of magical fire, her flesh cooked by fury as well as fire. Dalaran was burning, and in my heart of hearts, I could not blame anyone but ourselves.

"We've got a situation", Nazgrim had said. Few greater understatements have been uttered. The Night Elves had discovered our theft, and someone had slipped - Jaine Proudmoore was -rightfully, to a point- certain the Sunreavers were behind the deed. The sleeping Lioness had been awoken, and she was starving for justice - she and the Silver Covenant had begun a pogrom to imprison or stop all Sunreavers in Dalaran. People had resisted, violence had exploded. Grand Magister Rommath himself had started a rescue mission, to evacuate as many Sunreavers as he could. Before Nazgrim could formally request my aid, I was already running for the portal.

I've spent years in the rebuilt Dalaran, while we were preparing for the assault on Icecrown. It had always been a bustling city in that time. The Sunreavers and the Silver Covenant were in an overt power struggle, but everyone was focused on the war at hand. I had returned a few times since then, mostly to gaze on Icecrown on the horizon, or see the tauren and humans statues encircling Fordring. The city had grown quieter, but there was still the hustle and bustle of people. When I arrived in the sewers, the city was in frightening silence. No piercing children scream, no merchant peddling his wares. Not even the familiar sounds of war.

Rommath was expecting us. He had scouted the sewers a bit - the Covenant had taken over the sewers, and he heard sounds of struggle further down, the Covenant was mostly content to keep every Sunreaver unarmed, and under guard. We started pushing, dodging and weaving between patrols, freeing as many Sunreavers as we could, until we reached the old Arena in the sewers.

A fight had broken out, and elves were dead or dying left and right, too caught up in a fight for survival to try and take care of the wounded. Rommath pleaded with his eyes - we didn't have time for continued fighting, just enough to strike a few telling blows and keep moving. Still, we got a lucky hit when the Covenant leader of the assault showed himself in the black market. The man had nowhere to run, and even if the Horde was responsible, I would not let fellow Blood elves be murdered for crimes they did not commit. Take the hydra's head, and hopefully the rest would scatter and give the Sunreavers time enough to run for Rommath's portal.

We had made it to the North exit of the sewers, and we were beginning to hear the sounds of more fighting above. Rommath had a daring plan up his sleeve - take the central plaza, launch a handful of lightning raids to save as many as we could, then use a quick portal back to the sewers. The dash to the plaza was simple, and it seemed like everyone had forgotten about it in the chaos. We made a quick list of targets: Krasus' landing, the Silver Enclave and the Antonidas Memorial were the most likely places to hold the highest priority target - Aethas Sunreaver, leader of the faction.

Have you ever seen an execution? Krasus' landing had been without a hitch, but as I turned the corner to reach Antonidas, I was met with the most unlikely sight: Jaina Proudmoore, her face a mask of rage enframed by her white hair (White? By the Light, what happened to you?), teleporting a Sunreaver to some unknown direction. Then another ran to her in a fighting stance, probably trying to grapple her to stop. Poor fool - he probably didn't have time enough to register the pain beofre he was dead, a charred husk tumbling besides Jaina that kept walking without a glance.

I considered facing Proudmoore myself. I would fare little better than the poor man, but maybe hearing my confessing and burning me to death would calm her enough to retake control and sort this out peacefully. I had made a step forward before I realized it would have been pointless - the Sunreavers would have been held prisoner under Dalaran regardless, and people knew how that fared the last time. The Sunreavers would panic, and a riot that would end in wholesale massacre would be all but assured. I sighed, begged M'uru for forgiveness, and kept running for the Silver Enclave.

Aethas was nowhere to be found, so we focused on the Sunreaver's Sanctuary that had been overrun by Silver Covenant troops. I bade them a last chance to let me through. They denied. They died. I'm note exactly sure how many died there, but every Covenant downed only opened the view to more Sunreavers bodies, stacked on the sides. I gathered everyone I could and we made a run for Runeweaver Square. That's when the fireball struck. Was it Proudmoore? I don't know. One second, the girl was running though the street. The next, she was a half-burned corpse bumping on the walls of the city, silently sliding on the cool stones of the Square.

I prayed for M'uru, felt the Light still shining in my weary soul, but the light in her eyes was already out. I lifted her and brought her to the garden on the side of the Square. I covered her left side and face in my old Sunreaver tabard and composed her the best I could. Rommath had already called me again. Mourning later. Fight now. There was one last chance to find Aethas, and Rommath supposed he was in the Violet Citadel. I guess he did not mention the Violet Hold because it was a clear deathtrap for all of us.

We struk like lightning, and the Covenant never saw us coming - the Mage-commander was dead in moments, only able to utter of few words of power before my blade found him. Aethas was chocking just behind him, gasping for air, but we had no time - the sounds of struggle were sure to attract Jaina. And if she saw us over a Covenant corpse... I shuddered. Rommath teleported us back to the sewers, where the fighting had died down. Faces yound and old, all wearied and sad looked up to the three of us. Rommath quickly took command, and all of us were dashing through the long sewer pipe to a portal to Silvermoon.

I closed the march, making sure everyone was through. So few of them had made it here. Hopefully, a few more had fled their own way. I cursed a bit for not havin lingered in the Square - that probably was the last time I would ever see Tirion's statue. My thoughts drifted again to the girl's corpse laying there. Would they give her a decent burial? Too late to think about that. I crossed the portal, bading Dalaran a final farewell. And I still could not blame Jaina.

The last time Silvermoon had looked like this, it was shortly after my mother died, shortly after the Sunwell had been taken from us - refugees everywhere, soldiers trying their best to keep order, priests giving what little comfort they could. Lor'themar had already arrived, and, omnious reminder, the Divine Bell stood, overlooking the chaos like a sated predator overseeing his prey.

Aethas could report what little he knew - many Sunreavers had been sent to the Violet Hold, and the Alliance had indeed sent troops to help clean up the city. Lor'themar was enraged - we were being abandonned on all sides, despite trying our best to repay our blood debts. Garrosh using us as canon fodder, Jaina pushing us away from the Alliance against all reason. Well, not WITHOUT reason, but the damage was done - the Sin'dorei were on the ropes, and from Lor'themar tone of voice, something would give soon enough. I thought about the girl on Dalaran's grass, and of all my loved ones in Silvermoon. I prayed to M'uru again, hoping I was still worthy of his blessing.

Lor'themar took the reins and the orders flew out his mouth - Rangers and Magisters alike were to mobilize, and the Sunreavers magi would be integrated in the Magister's chain of command. As for the damned bell, it would return to Garrosh post-haste - the thing was soaked in elven blood, by the Warchief's command. By all means, let the damn thing destroy him. Rommath mused that Lor'themar certainly proved himself more worthy of the Warchief title than Garrosh ever was. I saw hesitation in Lor'themar's eyes, then steel.

"It may come to that. Bring me my blades. The next move is mine."

*** END OF SPOILERS ***
Last edited by Sagara on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sagara

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am

Good writing! Someone should do this for the Alliance quests.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am

Sagara, u should have included the bench flipping
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 am

I love how the Horde are led by a power-hungry orc that wants to paint the land with blood, and yet Jaina is the villain.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 am

Well I mean someone's gotta be the villain for the Horde side.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to General