Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby jere » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm

It is. You can get it from the daily reward as well. Just found that out an hour or so ago.
jere

Postby jere » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 am

Just a couple quick notes for pet collectors:
Snowy Owl is available in Winterspring now (well as of Dec 21'st) and is only available until right before the Spring Equinox happens. If you are going for the achievement, this is your window to get that pet.

I've been doing some work on figuring out how pet experience is calculated against the various tamers and posted a lot of info up at warcraftpets.com, but wanted to share some of it here (even though we don't really have a lot of pet battle interest on this site, I thought it would be ok).

Experience for battle pets (not player experience):
1. Pet experience gained is quadratic in nature (Ax^2 + Bx + C)
2. All Pandaria tamers give the same experience curve
3. All Northrend/Cata tamers (even including Major Payne and Obalis) give the same experience curve, but give 60% of the EXP that Pandaria tamers do.
4. Outlands/Vanilla tamers all have different experience curves based on enemy pet level and tamer multiplier. I can provide a link to each, though most people don't bother with these tamers.
5. For Pandaria, Northrend, Cata, Celestial Tournament, Beasts of Fable, and the Dark Moon Faire tamer (any battle where enemy pets are level 25), pets that are level 10 and level 11 get the most experience as carry pets against those tamers versus any other level pet you have. For other tamers, the "max experience" level moves a bit. Again, I can always provide a link, but didn't want to come out just crossposting other sites randomly.
jere

Postby Kalimaa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:15 am

As I'm in the process of leveling a bunch of pets for the 75 lvl 10 and 25 achievements I would much appreciate more information about pet xp. At the moment I use aquatics from the vale to battle, they spawn frequently on my server. I have a leveling team of 1 moth and 1 dragon to handle aquatics and the rare flying add. I just swap in my pet to level. 4 fights and its lvl 10-11. So would like some information on how to get the next step most efficiently
Kalimaa

Postby jere » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

Well the main thing is deciding if you are doing long term levelling or short term. For short term, you can can level from 1-25 in 4 tamer fights using both food buffs and the safari hat. If you are going long term, the best way is to do what you are doing and level from 1-10/11 in 4 fights (with safari hat only) against wild pets (I recommend around Nitun and Gorespine for rapid respawns, though you need a switcher pet with blind/decoy/etc.). Then once you have 16 level 10/11 pets, do a tamer run with full buffs.

If you go the long term route, you need to plot the optimum tamer route. This part is going to be highly variable per person. It depends on what pets you currently have and what means you have to get around the world.

As an example:
I have over 300 level 25 pets covering the majority of what are considered useful pets, so I can really quickly kill all of the Pandaria Tamers, and with my Argent Tournament tabard I can teleport right next to Major Payne and work through Northrend. Depending on RNG and how crazy my kids are, I can get in all Pandaria Tamers and between 3-5 Northrend tamers in the full hour of the buff.
All the pandaria tamers net 8787 exp to level 10/11 pets with full experience buffs. Northrend tamers (and Cataclysm tamers) give 5272 exp to level 10/11 pets with full experience buffs.

What you need to do is figure out which tamers you can quickly kill with 2 level 25's and a carry pet. If that is all of them, then great, but first figure that out and start working on a route for all the tamers you can quickly do. The idea is to get as many Pandaria tamers as you can. However, if it is quicker for you to do two Northrend/Cataclysm tamers versus 1 Pandaria tamer (including travel time), then the Northrend/Cata tamers are a more efficient until you can remedy that.

You didn't mention what kind of help you needed specifically, but if it is finding optimal teams to do this against the tamers, warcraftpets.com has a forum full of guides (Guides Tab => Forum Guides) with a 5.4 Tamer guide that is very optimized for killing quickly. I would link it, but the site is blocked from here. My experience guide is in the same area. It'll give you experience values based on carry pet level so you can plan ahead.

My suggestion is that if you don't have the pets those guides mentioned (or something similar) and want to improve efficiency long term, it is ok to do some short term levelling to get those pets in your roster. I did a lot of short term levelling occasionally to get newer pets up to speed, but I usually save my full buffs for long term style.

One important note is that if you are doing long term levelling, you need to be careful about which level 10/11 pets you pick for both the Flowing Spirit and the Burning Spirit as they have AoE's that can decimate pets with either low HP or a family that takes more damage from the particular attack. A little planning can save you here.

Another note: If you are just going for the achieves, then you can do the short term method with full buffs and level 3 pets to 25 per day (assuming you can efficiently do all the tamers). So in 8ish days you will have the achieve. I plan on levelling all my pets to 25 at some point, so I am doing the long term method.

Any kind of specific info you would be interested in?
jere

Postby Kalimaa » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 am

My plan is to level all my rare pets to 25 hopefully before the next expansion hits. So you could say getting the achievements is just a part goal on that journey. I think I will continue to use the method of leveling with wild battles against aquatics in Vale of Eternal Blossom as most of the aquatics open with a buff or a low dmg ability.
What I was looking for advice with was how to most efficiently lvl many pets from 10/11 to 25. I have teams for all pandaria tamers in place, the spirits can use a little working though so I will visit warcraftpets guide as you recommend.
I was thinking, what would be the best strategy:
a) to swap carry pet for each tamer (so I cycle through all my 10/11 rare pets) or
b) to keep the carry pet until it reaches lvl 24ish and then level the rest with wild battles

Reason for asking is so I can plan my approach to it in a good maner (530+ pets take some time to level :( and I will go there eventually)

But thanks a lot for the good and detailed answer
Kalimaa

Postby jere » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm at home now, so I can link the guides:
Fast Tamer Kills: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=7556
Carry Pet Exp: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=8829

As far as "a" vs "b" it depends on how whether or not you always use full buffs when tamer levelling. I don't. Sometimes I just use the safari hat or the hat + the 25% treat only. In my case, option "a" is superior over long stretches of time as I get the most extra "juice" out of my 85% total EXP buffs by only using level 10/11 pets (I always use full buffs when levelling level 10/11 pets). If you always have 85% worth of buffs for tamer battles, then both options work out pretty even long term (assuming for option "b" you are starting from level 10/11 as well).

My suggestion is if you don't always use the full 85% buffs, then do the following:

1.) Level 20ish pets to level 10/11 using just he safari hat (usually takes very little time) for each night you will be running full (85%) buffs.
2.) Make a tamer run using full buffs (85% more EXP) on each level 10/11 pet, swapping for each tamer so that each pet gets the full 8787 exp and moves up to level 18/19. If you have been doing this for a while and no longer have any pets below level 12, do full buff runs on the lowest level pets you have that are at least level 12.
3.) On off nights where you don't have full buffs, level all the highest level pets you have using what buffs you do have as long as you don't waste EXP. You can earn 3x lesser pet treats per night by doing the beasts of fable, so you should never run out of these. These with the hat give you 35% more exp. Important notes on the higher level pets:
Pandaria Tamers with 35% buffs
12-21: all of these are safe to level without worry of wasting EXP
22: As long as you are 1575 EXP or less, you won't waste EXP (1575 goes to level 25)
23: As long as you are 120 EXP or less, you won't waste EXP (120 goes to level 25)
24: Always wastes EXP when using a single carry pet

Northrend & Cata tamers with 35% buffs
12-22: all of these are safe to level without worry of wasting EXP
23: As long as you are 1632 EXP or less, you won't waste EXP (1632 goes to level 25)
24: Always wastes EXP when using a single carry pet

So on off nights (35% buff nights) start with your highest pets that won't waste EXP and work your way down.

4.) Use wild battles to finish off any high level pets that would waste EXP via the tamers.

EDIT:
Most people will have off nights with less than full buffs (you only earn two 50% treats per week), so option "a" is often the most useful as long as you only use 10/11 for full buffs and higher level pets. If you only level pets at tamers 1-2 nights a week, you can always do it at full buffs and option "b" about the same. I usually do some levelling every night and most other serious levellers do the same (of course real life can make that difficult so mileage may vary).
jere

Previous

Return to General