Remove Advertisements

Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby Mannstein » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am

Flex wrote: Used Pet Battle Teams to build up teams for my trainer route, EK and Kalimdor grandmaster trainers, all Outland trainers and the Cataclysm trainers. I can substitute whatever pet I'm leveling into the free slot and get from 10 to 25 doing the trainers.

I have a lvl21, a lvl20 and a lvl19. I a noob in what works here. I'l ask some questions.
A) So when i reach lvl25 in all, i should use two lvl25 and place "lvl 1 Pet to be boosted" and go do the dailies?
B) Does he have to fight or can he just never engage and get the xp?
C) If so isn't he proned to get killed in a single round?

Cheers and thanks in advance
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Zobel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am

Mannstein wrote:
Flex wrote: Used Pet Battle Teams to build up teams for my trainer route, EK and Kalimdor grandmaster trainers, all Outland trainers and the Cataclysm trainers. I can substitute whatever pet I'm leveling into the free slot and get from 10 to 25 doing the trainers.

I have a lvl21, a lvl20 and a lvl19. I a noob in what works here. I'l ask some questions.
A) So when i reach lvl25 in all, i should use two lvl25 and place "lvl 1 Pet to be boosted" and go do the dailies?
B) Does he have to fight or can he just never engage and get the xp?
C) If so isn't he proned to get killed in a single round?

Cheers and thanks in advance

It has to survive one round as the active pet. If it's in slot #1, it has to perform one action. If it's in slots #2 or #3, it can be swapped in and then immediately out. (You can't start with it in slot #1 and have its first action be to switch to another pet.)

Level 1 pets are certainly prone to getting one-shotted. Certain boosting pets can make that less likely, as with the Anubisath Idol's sandstorm or Darkmoon Zep / Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling's decoy. If you're clever, you can figure out which rounds your opponents are likely to spend buffing themselves and swap it in during those rounds.

I'm not convinced that flying around to all the trainers is more efficient time-wise than just fighting random level 24-25s in Pandaria, but you'll want to fight them anyway if you're hoping for a porcupette.
Zobel

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:45 am

yea, once you get a full 25 team swap in pets to be leveled, easiest thing is to do a battle in MoP, a level 1 will get to level 5 from 1 fight and with facing lots of aquatics you tend to get a lot of buff rounds. Also you can go back and do a mid tier tamer fight with your 25s and you'll get decent XP for a quick boost.

I'm not convinced that flying around to all the trainers is more efficient time-wise than just fighting random level 24-25s in Pandaria, but you'll want to fight them anyway if you're hoping for a porcupette.

In my experience a level 25 tamer fight is worth about 3 to 5 regular Vale fights, I get anywhere from 440 to 700 XP for a vale fight (depending on quality of opponents and level range) with 10% from the Safari Hat, and once you get enough 25s to build strong groups they go pretty quickly. The Cataclysm trainers are quick travels due to the portals and are much easier than the Northrend ones.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Finkum » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Zobel wrote:I'm not convinced that flying around to all the trainers is more efficient time-wise than just fighting random level 24-25s in Pandaria, but you'll want to fight them anyway if you're hoping for a porcupette.

A Pandaria daily will award anywhere from 3000 - 4500 XP (depending on pet level), whereas a random battle will typically award 400 - 700. Once you've figured out a good pair of pets for each tamer, it should be more time efficient to do the dailies I think. Additionally, anecdotally you have a much better chance at upgrade stones from the reward bags (so far I've had ~10 stones from bags and only 1 from a random battle).
Finkum

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

Got the final spirit tamer pet today. Got a set up for the Darkmoon Tamer that wrecks his shit. My Mini Thor gets a work out, need to level another mechanical just to shake it up.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Zobel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 am

A rare (battle-stone upgraded) mechanical pandaren dragonling appears to be very strong against the Darkmoon pet trainer: starting against the magic opponent, it can solo the first two opponents and blow up half the third.

The dragonling can beat Judgment with about 800 health left, thanks to its resistance to magic and dragon breath attack (strong against magic). Open with a decoy and do breath thereafter.

Against Honky-Tonk, you do breath for the first round and then lay down a decoy (which is very effective against Honky-Tonk's huge but infrequent attacks requiring charging). Keep doing breath until you can lay down another decoy. Thanks to the mechanical failsafe and decoys, as well as the dragonling's higher speed (once Judgment's speed debuff wears off), you should be able to make it to the monkey with a smidgen of life.

With its last bit of life and higher speed, you immediately explode the monkey for about 800 damage (mechanical explode being strong against beasts).

I figure a darkmoon zepelin should be able to swap in and lay down another decoy, letting you swap a lowbie pet in and out for xp before finishing the monkey. Alternatively, since the monkey always clobbers the first round, you should be able to just swap the lowbie in and let it get stunned but not damaged, and then immediately swap to your other pet. Nope, he doesn't always clobber, and the decoy gets eaten by bananas.

Unfortunately, they finally patched the trainer in the past couple days not to let you keep fighting him with extra tokens.
Zobel

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Minfernal, finally!
Flex

Postby Nooska » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 am

Grats
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby jere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 am

Levelling lower level pets: I actually have had good luck with pitting them against pets that do the stampede like abilities. It is typically a lower damage attack and guaranteed to be 3 rounds (so you can do the swap mid stampeded and then swap out). You can't take unreasonably low level pets against it, but once you have enough health to survive one stampede round, it makes it easy to help boost them.

EDIT: On a side note, I have really started to enjoy skunks as a pet. I set them up with Attack,self heal,group heal and put them in the first slot. Their self heal usually heals more than an aquatic's and boosts Max HP for 9 rounds. What I usually do is attack a round or two until my health gets low enough for self heal to be efficient. Then I cast the self heal and get the health buff for the group (or front pet rather). After that, I switch out to a nuker and when the nuker gets below half health, I swap out with the skunk, do the group heal, an attack, and then the self heal again, and finally bring in the other nuker. I repeat this for a while and it usually takes a while to whittle me down if I don't kill stuff outright.
jere

Postby Zobel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 am

jere wrote:Levelling lower level pets: I actually have had good luck with pitting them against pets that do the stampede like abilities. It is typically a lower damage attack and guaranteed to be 3 rounds (so you can do the swap mid stampeded and then swap out). You can't take unreasonably low level pets against it, but once you have enough health to survive one stampede round, it makes it easy to help boost them.

Sandstorm really shines against those, completely negating all damage. (It's why the Anubisath idol can solo Aki -- after surviving the dragon, it gets half a dozen or more rounds of healing against the cricket while taking no damage.) You can freely swap even the lowest of pets in and out without fear.
Zobel

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Fluxfire Feline is an amazing. It has Wind-Up and Supercharge which hits for about 2K against standard targets, well over 3K against Beasts. I one shot a level 25 common quality pet with a level 13 Fluxfire Feline.
Flex

Postby Finkum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am

Yeh there's a reason why the favoured meta team is 3x Fluxfire Felines aka 'FFF'. They are particularly strong because one of the normal counters to telegraphed nukes, Reflect, apparently bugs out - the Reflecter does no damage but instead gets the Wind-Up 10% bonus mechanical damage buff. I'm still trying to farm a rare Feline; even at times when you'd expect there to be little competition they are rarely up on my server (CRZ strikes again, I guess).
Finkum

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 am

They're heavily nerfing that pet in 5.2 anyway. IIRC they've increased a cooldown, reduced the damage buff, and might even have moved two of the spells so they can't be slotted together (may be thinking of a different pet there, though).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby gtechman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am

Sea Pony easily solo's the Spirit tamer in Four Winds.

Also Anubisath Idol can solo a few of the MoP tamers.
gtechman

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:59 am

KysenMurrin wrote:They're heavily nerfing that pet in 5.2 anyway. IIRC they've increased a cooldown, reduced the damage buff, and might even have moved two of the spells so they can't be slotted together (may be thinking of a different pet there, though).

Supercharge is dropping to 125% from 150% damage increase, but the pet has a beast ability, same tier as Supercharge, that is a 150% damage increase on a 5 round cooldown. The Sprite Darter is getting the ability position swap.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General