Patch 5.0.4 stuff

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.0.4 stuff

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm wondering about this whole PvE vs PvP crossover. I play on PvE servers because I got tired of the random gankings when leveling my DK at the beginning of LK. If I get merged with a PvP server, will it flag me? Someone mentioned that grouping with a RealID friend from a PvP server caused them to flag, but if I get randomly merged with one in a "low pop" zone, I will be decidedly upset if I get ganked.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:04 pm

I have seen Horde in Northrend zones that were not flagged, so it isn't automatic.

I will also say, we just had a quick chat in zoned Sholazar and the folks from Malygos say they do not get the huge 20-30 sec lag that I get, but that they DO get the blue wall of skill text. The skill text is humorously annoying. I had hoped with the restarts today they would include a fix for the phasing issue, maybe in a few more days.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 pm

The skill text is in your chat box or an "announcement" on the center of you screen? If it's in the chat box, go to the settings and turn it off (at least until it gets fixed.)

I did this on beta with achievement spam announcement for every new character that logged in. Saved a bit of a headache.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Its in the chat bubble, its like 12-16 lines of skills, including Draenei language - 300 and plate armor skills - 1; which is why its humorous. The lag I get upon phasing its horrible though. Yesterday, the first day phasing seemed to be in effect I flew from Vyragosa spawn point back to Dalaran after noting 3 other server ppl patting his path. I re-phased upon entering CrystalSongForest and the phased AGAIN seconds later when I entered Dalaran. Even for ppl who don't get 20-30 secs phase lag, the constant blue walls of text have got to be brutal. I mean what if you taxi long distance, this is just an awful game experience to deal with.

I may just minimize my time in Northrend till next week and hope they fix things. If I do spend more time there I will try your suggestion to eliminate the BWOT - blue wall of text.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:Its in the chat bubble

People use chat bubbles? :shock:

Even so, shouldn't turning it off in the chat box prevent the bubbles from announcing it?
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm

My concern about phasing regarding server events is probably mostly applicable to PvP servers. When I was on Ravenholdt, there were times when we would have HUGE battles, consuming like 20% of the online population, or even 30% in early Wintergrasp days (100 Alli vs 200 Horde - entering keep courtyard was a graphics card torture test)

There was one day back in BC when some of my guildees got into a pissing match in Nagrand with some Horde. It eventually escalated till our entire guild, plus a few random Allies siezed Halaa (uber rare back then when you are outnumbered 300-900) and the Horde responded with a guild of their own. It was like 30-40 of us vs like 50+ of them, and we got so many kills that those of us who had the daily quest got like 200 marks per hour, it was insane. Later that night a couple of other guilds got into a smaller slug fest as well.

If the zoning also works to reduce crowding as advertised, I am concerned that Halaa battles and Wintergrasp slugfests would be relegated to the dustbin, let alone events like AQ gates opening (before my time).

Also, how would 40m raids like 'For the Alliance' work if they raid an already populated city? or if god-forbid there is a second 'For the Alliance' raid you are competing against (I have actually seen this, a couople times).

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I guess chat bubble was misleading, its the chat box. But if I go back, I'll see what I can do about turning that stuff off.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Sagara » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Just read Marcus' fate. Ouch. Even as Horde, gotta feel for the guy.

See Thrall buddy? THAT's why you sometimes need to DoomHAMMER some sense in people.
Looking forward to a niiiiiice internal meltdown in the Horde.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 am

Hrobertgar wrote:
Also, how would 40m raids like 'For the Alliance' work if they raid an already populated city? or if god-forbid there is a second 'For the Alliance' raid you are competing against (I have actually seen this, a couople times).

They stated major towns will not be x-server.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby daishan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:12 am

Well on beta at least Exodar was X-server, often saw US players at the dummies while playing on the EU server.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:08 am

Skye1013 wrote:I'm wondering about this whole PvE vs PvP crossover. I play on PvE servers because I got tired of the random gankings when leveling my DK at the beginning of LK. If I get merged with a PvP server, will it flag me? Someone mentioned that grouping with a RealID friend from a PvP server caused them to flag, but if I get randomly merged with one in a "low pop" zone, I will be decidedly upset if I get ganked.

I was the guy who mentioned it here - and yeah, it was a bit jarring since we used to be able to group and not actually be in the same place (we'd each be on our own realms) until we hit the instance. I am not sure why they changed it, I can only imagine that it is a by-product of the 'smart' merging, though why on earth they'd think someone from a normal server would want to be pulled over to a PVP realm puzzles me. I haven't tried grouping other ways to see if it is RealID specific though.

I'm gonna guess they've already got complaints about, though I may as well check...

Hrobertgar wrote:I will also say, we just had a quick chat in zoned Sholazar and the folks from Malygos say they do not get the huge 20-30 sec lag that I get, but that they DO get the blue wall of skill text. The skill text is humorously annoying. I had hoped with the restarts today they would include a fix for the phasing issue, maybe in a few more days.

I'm on malygos and I've been getting wierd lag spikes that I hadn't had previously (I had a very low latency and a reasonable framerate, so small changes are noticeable). Argent Tournament seems to be the biggest offender: specifically doing the kraken flight quest - the music skips, invisible players are flagging and killing mobs, etc). Not sure if it's related or not. The strangest has been having them happen in instances, which is *really* annoying.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:42 am

benebarba wrote:... though why on earth they'd think someone from a normal server would want to be pulled over to a PVP realm puzzles me. I haven't tried grouping other ways to see if it is RealID specific though.

That should be only when the group lead is based on the PVP server to start. PVE and PVP will not be merged in the low population couplings. The fix might be to have someone that's on a PVE realm be the lead of the group (or be the one to create the group).

That wall of blue text is odd and annoying every time you zone into the city, and back out again.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:58 am

halabar wrote:
That should be only when the group lead is based on the PVP server to start. PVE and PVP will not be merged in the low population couplings. The fix might be to have someone that's on a PVE realm be the lead of the group (or be the one to create the group).

That wall of blue text is odd and annoying every time you zone into the city, and back out again.

haven't seen the wall o'text, but that may be because of my chat settings.

On the grouping thing, I'll have to give that a shot to see what happens.
benebarba

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:28 am

Skye1013 wrote:I'm wondering about this whole PvE vs PvP crossover. I play on PvE servers because I got tired of the random gankings when leveling my DK at the beginning of LK. If I get merged with a PvP server, will it flag me?

They stated that PvE and PvP realms wont be eligible to merge with each other. It only happened on the beta since they had roughly 4 realms. Also I vaguely recall them mentioning they'd force you to the same realm if you're grouped with players from your realm and the system does a split.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:If the zoning also works to reduce crowding as advertised, I am concerned that Halaa battles and Wintergrasp slugfests would be relegated to the dustbin, let alone events like AQ gates opening (before my time).

Wintergrasp was one xpac ago, and Halaa has two ago. There's the Baradin hold thing, but that's basically just a periodic BG with limited numbers.

The epic battles of which you speak are things of the past already, before zoning came into being.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to General