So I heard Blizzard is losing customers

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: So I heard Blizzard is losing customers

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:57 am

Lol at the panicers canceling their accounts over the hacking, guess Blizz is going to loose some more customers...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 am

halabar wrote:Lol at the panicers canceling their accounts over the hacking, guess Blizz is going to loose some more customers...

People are actually cancelling? Don't they realize that even if the hackers did access their data, it's already too late?

And another thing I don't get about this... why are people SO WORRIED about their credit card numbers being located? Ultimately, the bank is responsible if fraudulent activity happens on your account. You didn't make that charge for $2000? No problem, the credit card company will refund you.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

I don't know how it is in canada, but in the US, the "fear" of Identity Theft is rampant.

I run my businesses website through paypal. Even the merchant account, because instead of our small business trying to stay ahead on security measures, it's Paypal's bill, and I'm ok with paying a little more per transaction to keep it that way.

You would be blow away by how many people still call in to give me a card over the phone because they just can't stand the idea of putting that info online, because "WHAT IF THEY STEAL MAH IDENTITY!?"
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:24 am

I haven't noticed the fear of identity theft to be that high in this country (other than old fogeys being too nervous to put their credit cards in online).
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:28 am

Nikachelle wrote:
halabar wrote:Lol at the panicers canceling their accounts over the hacking, guess Blizz is going to loose some more customers...

People are actually cancelling? Don't they realize that even if the hackers did access their data, it's already too late?

People are smart?

It also started another wave of the "Waahh.. D3 is online only.. I wanna play offline in my cave.. RMAH.. Waah..."

halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 am

Nikachelle wrote:I haven't noticed the fear of identity theft to be that high in this country (other than old fogeys being too nervous to put their credit cards in online).

We have a lot of old fogeys... (ATMs are still dangerous and new...)

halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 am

halabar wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I haven't noticed the fear of identity theft to be that high in this country (other than old fogeys being too nervous to put their credit cards in online).

LOL I used to be a bank teller while I was in university, and I always used to point out that tellers always had to deal with idiots and old people. They were either idiots because they couldn't figure out how to use a bank machine or they were old and didn't trust the bank machine. All the smart/"with it" people always used online banking and ABMs so your customer base as a teller was pretty dismal to begin with!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 am

Nikachelle wrote:
halabar wrote:

LOL I used to be a bank teller while I was in university, and I always used to point out that tellers always had to deal with idiots and old people. They were either idiots because they couldn't figure out how to use a bank machine or they were old and didn't trust the bank machine. All the smart/"with it" people always used online banking and ABMs so your customer base as a teller was pretty dismal to begin with!

Add in the people that are pissed off that they have to go see a teller because they couldn't accomplish their task online or at the ATM.

halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

Nikachelle wrote:

And another thing I don't get about this... why are people SO WORRIED about their credit card numbers being located? Ultimately, the bank is responsible if fraudulent activity happens on your account. You didn't make that charge for $2000? No problem, the credit card company will refund you.

Well a couple of things, I'm not sure what you mean by it's already too late. We don't know precisely yet what information was compromised, or if battle.net is even able to determine that conclusively.

Secondly, it's hardly trivial to have someone racking up fraudulent charges on your cards, even if you can ultimately get it cleared there are all sorts of annoying problems. Also, some people use debit cards, meaning until they can get the transactions cleared their actual money is gone, that's a really big deal when you try to use that money to pay bills and stuff.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:03 am

Fridmarr wrote:Well a couple of things, I'm not sure what you mean by it's already too late. We don't know precisely yet what information was compromised, or if battle.net is even able to determine that conclusively.

Secondly, it's hardly trivial to have someone racking up fraudulent charges on your cards, even if you can ultimately get it cleared there are all sorts of annoying problems. Also, some people use debit cards, meaning until they can get the transactions cleared their actual money is gone, that's a really big deal when you try to use that money to pay bills and stuff.

If the hackers have already accessed Blizzard's database (even if Blizzard doesn't know the extent of it), then chances are they already have your information. People who cancel their accounts now aren't protecting themselves from anything if the information is already leaked.

Also, debit cards tend to have pretty severe withdrawal restrictions on them, especially when compared to credit cards. Most banks actually reduce cash withdrawal limits to around $200-$500 a week in order to prevent large fraud. Online purchases may be limited at $1000 per week (often lower). I understand these amounts aren't trivial to some people (I'm not saying it's trivial to me either for the record), but the chances of actually losing that money are slim to begin with. Banks already have security precautions in place that usually prevent fraud before it even happens - I mean, how many times have people been on vacation in another country and your bank's basically gone "OH SHIT FRAUD. LOCK THAT DAMN CARD DOWN" and you're no longer able to use that card? If your transaction history is such that your card is being used in a location you are unlikely to go to and/or does not reflect your typical transaction records, the bank is more than likely to shut your card down first and ask questions later.

I just really want to dissolve this mass fear that seems to happen whenever someone gets access to your information. At the end of the day, you are not responsible and you WILL get your money back (if you even lose it in the first place).
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 am

Worldie wrote:Though I'm still going to miss the random QQ about Crusader Aura in LFR.

Oh good it's not just me then. :D

I don't know why people care so much about it.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 am

I am unable to use my Debit Card as Debit for any value larger than $500.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:13 am

It's funny that people are complaining about the couple of days after Blizz found out they actually said something.

Guess none of these people used PSN about a year ago.
Teranoid

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 am

You can't complain about something if something worse has happened before?
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Teranoid » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 am

KysenMurrin wrote:You can't complain about something if something worse has happened before?

No you can complain all you want. People are acting like this was the fucking end of the world because they took 5 days to make sure they properly identified what happened and took the steps to remedy it and to make sure they knew exactly what did and didn't get out.

Sony waited a MONTH to tell their customers and their breach was even more severe due to CC numbers actually being stolen.

It's the typical stupidity of the community at-large that amuses me. Like Blizz should have said "lol we got hacked brb finding out how and what they got"
Teranoid

PreviousNext

Return to General