Remove Advertisements

If you were a designer.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

If you were a designer.

Postby Shoju » Wed May 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Pick a class, and a change. I'm curious what people would change. There is no problem with doing multiple classes and changes.

Most people expect me to pick paladin, but I'm not going to get rid of Holy Power.

I'm going to pick Death Knight. I would give blood an AoE viable tanking system that didn't sacrifice our active mitigation (death strike / blood shield) for AoE threat. DnD is nice, but even DnD + diseases + pestilence can be shaky stuff on the 'non focused' adds, leaving the need to blood boil away death runes from time to time, since 2x blood boil hits like a pansy, and DnD only lasts 1/3 of the CD.

While there isn't a lot of large AoE tanking at max level currently, there is plenty while leveling.

DnD is enough at the start of the fight, the need is later in the fight, So I would probably make it an AoE RP dump, useable by all three specs, but favoring Blood and Unholy over Frost, since Frost has Howling Blast.

30 Runic Power
Lay Waste
An Unholy Wave emanates from the Death Knight dealing [(insert moderate damage amount here) *18% per disease on target] Shadow Damage to each enemy within (8 yards).

I would probably make this learnable by level 60, since currently, Low Level DK tanking can be frustrating in a gogogo type atmosphere, and blood has little AoE potential.

One other change.

Dark Command (our taunt) would be learnable by level 58. Not having that until 63 is complete and utter BS.
Shoju

Re: If you were a designer.

Postby halabar » Wed May 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Paladins, yeah, axe the holy power.

Hunters: Differentiate the specs. Remove pets from MM, making them the burst cannon spec. Make BM even more about the pets, give SV much more to do with traps, making SV almost an explosives expert.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Redesign combat and poisons to make slow/slow completely viable.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gab » Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Druid. Cyclone. Gone. That is all.

Maybe more of a frustration.
Gab

Postby Nikachelle » Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Bye bye holy power on paladins.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed May 02, 2012 3:30 pm

halabar wrote:Paladins, yeah, axe the holy power.

Hunters: Differentiate the specs. Remove pets from MM, making them the burst cannon spec. Make BM even more about the pets, give SV much more to do with traps, making SV almost an explosives expert.

i love that idea about hunters hal

i would have to pick locks

stealing from hal's hunter ideas

destruction - all about nuking but also managing boosting spells through self damage (think emo fire mage, just more so)
oh and the only demon they can use is a weak imp, mostly just hops around
mastery - increases the hp damage -> boost ratio (more boost for less HP loss)

affliction - i was typing one then i realized i was describing soul swap
make soul swap useable on more targets, but each dot is weaker the more targets it is on, or make the cost a decent chunk of health to spread individual dots (15-20%)
mastery - strengthens your dots dependent on the number of your dots on the target

demo - demon form like boomkin form (damage boost while in form, but can switch out) keep the stronger pets and make it more about demons and being a demon yourself (ie melee clothie, demon form buffs your armor and health, counter this is less dots so if you are in melee range and in demon form you are a wrecking crew, but if you are at range, you are still able to nuke but it kicks you out of demon form)
basically demon form = cd locked like an enh shammy, caster form - slightly lower damage compared to other casters but not so low that you would have to switch specs on a fight that is anti-melee (you wont be the top of the charts but you wont be like 30% behind either)

mastery - same as live basically, boost the damage of your demon as well as your self in demon form

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Gab wrote:Druid. Cyclone. Gone. That is all.

Maybe more of a frustration.

I think the idea is to fix a perceived broken portion of a class... not nerf it because the class pwns you in pvp.

Along the lines of hal's hunter idea, I'd bring back a melee possibility to go along with explosives expert Survival.

If not for Monks looking like they might potentially fill a similar role to this, my design idea would have been taking Disc priests and make them a melee damage healer. Damage prevention through "stuns"/"cripples" vs actual healing. Though you'd obviously have to have some healing type abilities, or else the stuns/cripples would have to be borderline OP to be considered a healing spec. Could have certain debuffs that "nerf" mobs damaging abilities, some that proc heals for hitting the mob (like the old Judgement of Light) and some abilities that heal based on the damage of the priest (much like smite healing is now, only... more melee focused.)

Disclaimer: I had this idea back during TBC, always longing for a monk type class that would be sort of a cross between a rogue and a priest. Well, now we're actually getting one :D.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 pm

I'd like to see pairs of abilities among various classes that when combined cause additional things to happen. I believe a somewhat recent game had a thing where a caster could create a wall of fire that gave an archer flaming arrows if he shot through it.

Consecration could amplify the holy magic of any person standing in it.
Perhaps standing within the ring of totems could enahnce nature magic.
A rogue might use some oils that could be ignited by a Warlock's immolate.
A hunter could heal a shapeshifted druid like he would a pet.

Basically I would come up with a special synergy for each class and spec when combines with each other class and spec.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Koatanga wrote:I'd like to see pairs of abilities among various classes that when combined cause additional things to happen. I believe a somewhat recent game had a thing where a caster could create a wall of fire that gave an archer flaming arrows if he shot through it.

Basically I would come up with a special synergy for each class and spec when combines with each other class and spec.

basically GW2 combo skills? :twisted:

(honestly with WoW stealing everything it seems, next xpack could very well have this)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Arnock » Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 am

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu May 03, 2012 1:25 am

Obvious response: I'd give Enhance Shaman some upfront AoE.

It'd involve introducing a new AoE attack, something melee range, either a weapon cleave or a frontal cone elemental attack. The base cooldown on Fire Nova would be increased (to 6-8 seconds, so every 2nd could be lined up with Unleash), with an Elemental passive preserving the current cooldown for that spec.

On fast dying AoE Enhance would now be able to contribute with the new attack available upfront.

On longer fights, Enhance would then prioritise spreading Flame Shock with Lava Lash as now, using Fire Nova on cooldown, Chain Lightning on Maelstrom procs, and the new attack in between. It'd actually be pretty similar to current AoE, but with less Nova spam and there'd be a noticable drop in how often you use Stormstrike, Lava Lash, and Earth Shock compared to single target.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby poptart » Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 am

I would like to see all the healing classes get some sort of synergy between their healing spells.

Right now, Druids get a bonus to their Nourish spell if a HoT is on their target. Lifebloom gets refreshed by casting a single target heal on that target. Rejuv must be on a target (and gets consumed) in order to do Swiftmend. On Shaman, Earth Shield enhances heals on that target.

The new Monk Mistweaver has some of these synergy healing combinations as well.

However, Holy Paladin? Nada. No synergy at all between my spells. No compelling reason to cast one spell or another on someone except for how much I want it to heal. Do I cast a small spell (Holy Shock, Holy Light, Word of Glory) or a large spell (Flash of Light, Divine Light) or an AoE heal (Holy Radiance, Ligh of Dawn). The amount that needs to get healed dictates which spell is used; not any synergy between them.

AND, Holy Radiance has to be redesigned. Even in 10-man (much less 25-man), that single spell accounts for WAY too much of a Holy Paladin's healing.

Poptart
poptart

Postby halabar » Thu May 03, 2012 8:01 am

Koatanga wrote:I'd like to see pairs of abilities among various classes that when combined cause additional things to happen. I believe a somewhat recent game had a thing where a caster could create a wall of fire that gave an archer flaming arrows if he shot through it.

I like the idea, only problem is that it would lead to raid stacking, especially in 10-mans, unless you have enough overlap that most combos can bring the same buffs.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 am

poptart wrote:AND, Holy Radiance has to be redesigned. Even in 10-man (much less 25-man), that single spell accounts for WAY too much of a Holy Paladin's healing.

Guess what is getting redesigned. Holy Radiance is just a burst AoE heal with no HoT. Casting Holy Radiance grants Daybreak, Daybreak causes your next Holy Shock to heal everyone within range of the target.

As for your other things, Nourish is roughly half as powerful as Holy Light so HoTs are pretty much required. Also Shaman spells are weaker baseline due to the interaction with Earth Shield. That's a poor way to do synergy and in fact the synergy seems designed to make them as good as Paladins while retaining historic flavor.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am

bldavis wrote:
halabar wrote:Paladins, yeah, axe the holy power.

i love that idea about hunters hal

Same here - that's differentiation and flavor. Hunters, while I find fun, while swapping between specs leveling (only to 77 now) I have to admit, I still felt played basically the same (step 1: mark, step 2: MD/attack with pet. step 3: profit) and it was only the particular 'specials' that differentiated them. Now if they basically played totally differently? Awesome. Balance may be an issue, but I'm sure they could figure it out at least as well as they have so far :P .

At least fire/arcane mages get different colored spells, letting you tell the difference. :P
benebarba

Next

Return to General