31%
Wrath of the Lich King
4%
Cataclysm
1%

Total votes : 140

Re: The World of Warcraft Poll

Postby Invisusira » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Sagara wrote:Started during the AQ world event.

That's also the problem with forum-based polls, even one on sites as big as MMO-Braindead (sorry) - the people who are passionate about it (one way or another) tend to go there, which means mostly early users. You'll probably get the same result here.

True; I expect the result to be more old-timey based on our userbase. Wasn't expecting it from mmo-champ for pretty much the reason you list, though.

Also, old-timey screenshot. 40m Araj raid, because you used to have to get groups to go out into the world and do things to finish quests to go into instances.
Last edited by Invisusira on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invisusira

Postby benebarba » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Sabindeus wrote:i am a unique snowflake!

Personally I am thinking: Darn that other person who also admitted to starting in wrath! :P

I am, however, not terribly surprised if on a forum such as this you find that the posters average towards having been around for TBC/Vanilla despite the surge in subs that happened in Wrath. I may be off base, but I imagine it has to do with folks getting involved with the community when it was young and stuck around because they liked it. If you had some way of also accounting for those who say only check out the training threads I think you may see something a bit different.

And to some there is a bit of a psychological barrier to coming into a community that's been around a while (myself included, though I did it anyway).
benebarba

Postby CrimsonEyes » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Burning Crusade here, VERY late (Fury of the Sunwell patch). I started with an Undead Warlock, and played until about fourty. Then my girlfriend nagged me about actually starting the Belfadin I had created, telling me about how they spin when they jump and their ears bounce.

Years later, and I haven't looked back, still rocking the belfadin, which is the BESTADIN.
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

Elenti of Scarlet Crusade

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Weebey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Cataclysm for me!

Ok, fine, technically it was 4.0.1. Pre-Shattering, but post-Cata talent/skill revamps.
Weebey

Postby Gracerath » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:36 pm

I started about 2 or 3 months after release as a human warlock then a dorf rogue for most of my vanilla raiding career and then my paladin a couple months before BC came out. I played pretty steadily all the way til the Firelands patch in Cata (a few short breaks here and there) and have been kinda faffing about aimlessly since then.

After spending such a huge amount of time in MMOs, it really feels kinda strange not playing one steadily for so long. (Been playing MMO's regularly since UO)
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:46 pm

I checked my account history :
Code: Select all
15/04/05    N/A    Free Month

That was around patch 1.3 I think. (introduction of honor ranking)
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm

bldavis wrote:
Amirya wrote:October prior to BC's release, but hey, it's still Vanilla!

september before wrath launch but still BC! (IM NOT A WRATH BABY DAMMIT! IDC I WAS ONLY LVL 20!) :twisted:

aww... those young ones are so cranky at that age... :wink: :lol:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Chicken » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Open beta here. Actually played as a Paladin then, but had to go Horde for the live release since I knew that was what friends are playing. Ended up playing a Troll Priest until TBC, when I became one of many Blood Elf Paladins, went for tanking from the start on that one was fun ending up doing 5 Paladin groups for a bunch of dungeons too. Was also fun to be smug to Warrior tanks complaining Shattered Halls was hard to tank. Even wrote a guide to playing Prot Paladins for Elitist Jerks.

Ended up rerolling a Warlock for Cataclysm though, mostly due to wanting to be a Goblin, partly due to wanting a role with less responsibility because I wasn't able to play as reliably any more.
Chicken

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

i would have been higher, but i was just starting in my first MMO and hadn't quite settled into my character choice yet

Gleagh was 20-25, Agaren (first paladin) was 15 or so and Catagon (current main) was like 7
now...2 months i can level 2 characters 1 to 85, or 4 dks (not that i want to level that many dks back to back /shudder)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby _Chloe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 pm

A little bit before 1.2 for me. I remember the Dire Maul patch coming out.
_Chloe

Postby rodos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:27 pm

According to account history, July 2006. Took me about 6 months to level up to 60 with no idea what I was doing. Did exactly one raid pre-BC -- a random guy who helped me with my epic mount quest invited me to a ZG run as a cleanse-bot.
rodos

Postby Arnock » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:56 pm

I started my free trial about a week before patch 2.1 when I was lying around, bored with a broken leg.

I specifically remember it being a week before 2.1, because I was pretty mad that, after 2-3 days of downloading several GB of game data, I had to go and download another huge patch.

I started off as a human mage(I did my research, spirit increases mana regen, that was good, right?) got to around level 20 or so, then I realized, "Woah, warlocks are JUST like mages, but with a pet!" So I rerolled a gnome warlock, got him to about level 19, realized, "Woah, moonkin are just like mages in plate armor!" and promptly rerolled a balance druid. I actually got the druid to the low 50's when I found out that a couple of RL friends played wow, so I rerolled a blood elf pally with them, and played that same toon until I quit a few days before cataclysm released.

I think a big reason why we're not seeing a lot folks who started in WotLK/Cata was the tank Homogenization that came with 3.0. Paladins aren't quite as 'different' as we used to be back in Vanilla/TBC, so a lot of people probably gravitated more towards tankspot and the official tanking forum.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Dion » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

I started playing in December 2007. I remeber vividly how annoing it was to download client with slow connection and just when you thought that you could start playing, you find out that there's even more stuff to download. I think in march 2008 they released Sunwell and soon I started grinding that rep for awesome shield. :)

It's really funny to think couple of expansions backwards and realise how much design priorities have shifted and changed. I wonder how set in stone is the idea that raids should be only place you can get best gear in the game, as such many things have chenged so dramaticaly over the years.

EDIT:Removed off-topic question and made thread about it instead in here.
Dion

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:20 am

Started in Vanilla, got Schatze (not my first character, but the first one I stuck with) up to lvl 53(ish) before TBC hit. I don't recall the TBC release events, not sure what I was doing at that point. I do remember getting into a group during Wetlands, and eventually joined that group leaders guild (Storm Knights on Uther-US) along with everyone else that was in the group. We continued leveling all the way up to EPL, then I ended up not being able to play for a bit, when I came back, they were all 60, and I didn't particularly want to quest solo... so I went from 50-53 killing the skeletons in the GY near Chillwind...

Not sure which patch I started playing (I'll try to check my account when I get home), but I do know the AQ collection quests were still up for my server. If I had to guess, I'd say late 2005 or early 2006 (as it was at my first duty station.)

I DID have the Collector's Edition reserved at my work because I thought it was going to be another WC3 type game... I didn't buy it when I found out it was "just like EQ" which I held a lot of contempt for (largely because it was a pay-to-play.) I still kick myself for not picking it up... I love those little panda cubs.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:15 am

Feb 11th 2006 for me. Purchased for my wife as a Birthday/Valentines present after lots of peer pressure from our friends who had played since launch. Within a month we were back to 2 PC's and each had an account. Mine currently is deactivated as I am busy shooting people with a sniper rifle in SWTOR. I don't expect to reactivate WOW.

I miss Vanilla and TBC even with the knowledge I am wearing rose coloured specs. Good times.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

PreviousNext

Return to General