IRL - Warcraft Addiction Film

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

IRL - Warcraft Addiction Film

Postby Sevrin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 am

Hey Guys,

I have been working on my film "IRL - In Real Life" for a good few months now as part of my Film Production course, and I have just released it, so I thought I would share it with everyone as I used to use these forums quite a lot!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKjNwejhfg
Sevrin

Re: IRL - Warcraft Addiction Film

Postby Invisusira » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:43 am

Nicely done and pretty cool; as someone who's been through a similar journey I definately appreciate it. As someone who still plays now, tho, I do have some different opinions on "wow addiction" than you now that I've re-connected with my life and taken a better look at it from the other side of the looking glass. (Technically it's not an addiction, I play again now but feel no need to keep playing outside of just doing it for fun, etc etc)

A great film, does come off a biiiiit too much like "wow is the devil and you should stop playing" at the end for me. ;)
Invisusira

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:09 am

That's not an unreasonable attitude for him to take, as someone whose life was presumably negatively impacted. I can certainly say that WoW would have detracted from my capacity to do what needed doing had I had anything that I actually needed to do while I was playing it.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Invisusira » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 am

Oh god, you're still around? Well, I suppose it's not the internet without someone to pick fights.
Invisusira

Postby Dorvan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm not somewhere where I can watch right now, but I definitely want to give it a look.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Brekkie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:26 pm

I expected that to be preachy, but it was totally not. Excellent job, really felt personal and easy to relate to, while at the same time being an entertaining watch. Two thumbs up, and I'm glad you are feeling good about the direction your life is going now. :)
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 pm

I already said so on the QT forums, but well done. I enjoyed watching it. :)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sevrin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks Guys!

Really appreciate the comments and glad you all enjoyed it! :)
Sevrin

Postby bldavis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Brekkie wrote:I expected that to be preachy, but it was totally not. Excellent job, really felt personal and easy to relate to, while at the same time being an entertaining watch. Two thumbs up, and I'm glad you are feeling good about the direction your life is going now. :)

i cant say it better then brekkie

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 pm

No that I've had a chance to watch it, very nicely done! I think that just telling your own story was a compelling way to speak on the subject, and as others said it was both entertaining and well well put together.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Just watching it now.

I used to wake up early, log in, play all day, and then go to sleep. That was my routine for four hundred days of my life.

Wow. I can't imagine spending that amount of time. Great job recognizing the change you wanted, and then doing it. I know that there are many things I don't do because I play wow in the evening, as opposed to things like Android development or the like.

Also, your voice sounds awesome. :)
Kelaan

Postby Hawkslayer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm glad you got it under control. Early on in the game, I found myself in a similar situation, but since then I've found a good balance for myself. I still play and pursue achievements, but I also get out into the real world a great deal, and I don't feel one ounce of guilt about it when I do.

I have fun in the game with my online friends and I have fun in the real world with my offline friends. It's all about what you enjoy and finding the right balance; at least it was for me.

Great job on the film and good luck to you.
Hawkslayer

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:33 am

Amazing video, great job.

Makes me feel guilty when I looked at /played on all of my MMO's..
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:15 am

After pondering more and more about it.. I had one of those "See the light moments".

I haven't played WoW in 4 months.. yet when the deal came up for 1 year of WoW + Diablo 3 I jumped on it and bought it...

I knew months before the deal was an option that SWTOR was going to be my new MMO for at LEAST 6+ months yet I still bought a 1 yr sub to a game I haven't and won't be playing. :|

I thought "Well I'll get D3" then also realized.. I'm paying 2x as much for D3 and I probably won't even get into playing it until SWTOR is boring or I want a break from it.. realistically I could have waited to just buy D3 when I'm "ready" to play which might even be after a price drop..

*Sigh* It's depressing when I see a complete waste of $$ pop up in my normally well-oiled "penny pinching machine"
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Rokh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:14 pm

You can "unsubscribe" from the annual pass... just call blizzard, I know a few people that quit wow for starwars and did just that.... you just dont get a free copy of D3, thats all.
Rokh

Next

Return to General