Remove Advertisements

Coming soon, to a Dragon Soul near you...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Coming soon, to a Dragon Soul near you...

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Blizzard Entertainment wrote:During the scheduled server maintenance on the week of January 31, the Dragon Soul raid will become enveloped by the “Power of the Aspects” spell, reducing the health and damage dealt of all enemies in the raid by 5%. This spell will grow progressively stronger over time to reduce the difficulty and make the encounters more accessible. The spell will affect both normal and Heroic difficulties, but it will not affect the Looking for Raid difficulty.

The spell can also be disabled by talking to Lord Afrasastrasz at the beginning of Dragon Soul, if a raid wishes to attempt the encounters without the aid of the Dragon Aspects.

For those of you who raided in Firelands and/or Icecrown you’re no doubt aware that as time goes on we want to keep people progressing by adjusting the difficulty. For any number of reasons a group may be having difficulty on a specific encounter each week, and our intent in adjusting the content is to ensure the ability to keep progressing, enjoying the content, and gearing up. With Icecrown we progressively buffed the players, and while this slow progression (and ability to opt-out of the buff) were both beneficial, it led to an expectation of your characters power, and once you left the raid you could certainly feel less effective. For Firelands we attempted to fix that by nerfing the content instead of buffing players, but we nerfed the content difficulty all at one time, which was counterproductive for players who really didn’t need as severe a change as we made. With Dragon Soul we’re attempting to do the best of both by having a progressive nerf to the content, keeping player power constant while providing small increases in assistance over a long period of time, as well as allowing players to opt-out of the assistance by speaking to Lord Afrasastrasz.

We hope you continue to enjoy Dragon Soul, and that these changes encourage you to attempt a higher difficulty, or just keep pushing to down that next boss.

Icecrown Warscream must have crept over the mountains. While I am happy that we might get to kill Madness heroic some day before 5.0 drops with this buff, still leaves a bad feeling. What do you guys think?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Re: Coming soon, to a Dragon Soul near you...

Postby mavfin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Pyrea wrote:Icecrown Warscream must have crept over the mountains. While I am happy that we might get to kill Madness heroic some day before 5.0 drops with this buff, still leaves a bad feeling. What do you guys think?

Um, it's not 5.0 that brings it, and, just like ICC, if you don't want it, you can turn it off. And don't give me the "But everyone else is using it" crap. The race for first kill is long over, so if you want an unbuffed kill, you can take the time to get it, while allowing others who might have gotten brick-walled on something to use the buff/nerf in the instance for themselves.

For those of you who hated the 4.2 nerfs, this should be a happy occasion, because you have a choice to keep the un-nerfed difficulty if you want. Keep in mind the alternative to this is the across-the-board, no choice nerfs like 4.2, so enjoy having a choice.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

So what's the point of LFR then? I thought the entire point of a third raid difficulty was to allow the other modes.. whatever. I'm going to stop while I'm ahead before the shitstorm begins again.
Teranoid

Postby mavfin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Teranoid wrote:So what's the point of LFR then? I thought the entire point of a third raid difficulty was to allow the other modes.. whatever. I'm going to stop while I'm ahead before the shitstorm begins again.

Like I just posted, you can turn this nerf off, so you can keep the un-nerfed difficulty if that makes you happy. So I'm not sure what all the moaning is about. Blizzard is bending over backwards to let people have it their way on this as much as possible. Would you rather they made the 5% nerf to mobs permanent and binding like 4.2?\

I swear, people sometimes are just so determined to be unhappy about stuff.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:51 pm

It's completely fucking unnecessary TWO MONTHS INTO THE RELEASE. I'm not determined to be unhappy. It's stupid. Good luck talking your guild into raiding for pride instead of knocking them over with the buff.
Teranoid

Postby mavfin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Teranoid wrote:It's completely fucking unnecessary TWO MONTHS INTO THE RELEASE. I'm not determined to be unhappy. It's stupid. Good luck talking your guild into raiding for pride instead of knocking them over with the buff.

That's your guild's issue, not Blizzard's fault for giving people a choice. Competition is over, so there's no big pressure if you want to do it at original difficulty.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm

@Mav: clarification - I meant "kill him before 5.0 drops, with this buff".
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby mavfin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Pyrea wrote:@Mav: clarification - I meant "kill him before 5.0 drops, with this buff".

Ah, gotcha. :D
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Was it Worldie who screamed Deathwing Radiance?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Heaven forbid we teach the less skilled players how to play our game more effectively, let's just hand them more shit.
Last edited by Invisusira on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Teranoid wrote:So what's the point of LFR then? I thought the entire point of a third raid difficulty was to allow the other modes.. whatever.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:56 pm

mavfin wrote:
Teranoid wrote:So what's the point of LFR then? I thought the entire point of a third raid difficulty was to allow the other modes.. whatever. I'm going to stop while I'm ahead before the shitstorm begins again.

Like I just posted, you can turn this nerf off, so you can keep the un-nerfed difficulty if that makes you happy. So I'm not sure what all the moaning is about. Blizzard is bending over backwards to let people have it their way on this as much as possible. Would you rather they made the 5% nerf to mobs permanent and binding like 4.2?\

There is ZERO in the game to differentiate between an un-nerfed killed versus a nerfed kill in the achievement area. (Other than date.) You could kill it after the buff with zero buff and have no way to prove it.

I don't care if you think this is "fair" and people can turn it off. I have fought tooth and nail with my guild to turn off the buff (in ICC) for something stupid like six fucking weeks. It's ludicrous to keep that kind of mentality up when EVERYONE AROUND YOU is using the buff to advance their kills and getting ranks because of it.

I don't think we're hardcore, far from it, but we don't deserve to have our heroic content nerfed AGAIN. Don't make this an option. Either turn it on or off for whatever content difficulty, but stop telling us it's an OPTION.

Edit: ALSO? Nobody cares about the top 100 competition. The only reason I was remotely emotionally invested is because Rhia raids that high of a level and I support him. I don't care where the OTHER guilds who think themselves top 5k worthy fall in the equation. There still exists server-wide competition, whether or not it's top 100.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby mavfin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
mavfin wrote:

There is ZERO in the game to differentiate between an un-nerfed killed versus a nerfed kill in the achievement area. (Other than date.) You could kill it after the buff with zero buff and have no way to prove it.

I don't care if you think this is "fair" and people can turn it off. I have fought tooth and nail with my guild to turn off the buff (in ICC) for something stupid like six fucking weeks. It's ludicrous to keep that kind of mentality up when EVERYONE AROUND YOU is using the buff to advance their kills and getting ranks because of it.

I don't think we're hardcore, far from it, but we don't deserve to have our heroic content nerfed AGAIN. Don't make this an option. Either turn it on or off for whatever content difficulty, but stop telling us it's an OPTION.

So you'd rather have 4.2 again, and no choice? I'm confused now. In 4.2, people were saying *I wish they had given us a choice like ICC"...and now you don't want one?

And yes, it IS an option. If you want un-nerfed kills, then turn it off. Don't give me this cop-out crap about ranks. If your guild is all that, you'll have it done by January 31st anyway. If you don't, then wtf are you worried about ranks, anyway? If you don't, then, well, you have a choice to do it the way you want, or not turn it off. Either way, it's YOUR choice, not someone else's.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

No, you don't have to be an "all that guild" to want to kill things at the "normal" progression level. We're progressing at what would probably be referred to as an elevated rate to most (and a slow ass casual rate to others) and yet I don't find this acceptable.

January 31st you say? So like.. the two weeks of holiday vacations were a perfectly acceptable time to raid? Really? Cuz that's not what this entire board moaned about. I want to compete. And I don't want to compete on the moral basis of "well we turned the easy mode difficulty off and that makes us better" because it makes you sound like a fucking prick. ESPECIALLY when you have nothing to back it up with. "You did it that hard? Orly? BACK IT UP."

Also... there is nothing in a raid group that is a singular choice. So that's a pretty weak argument.

Again this comes down to... WHAT *EXACTLY* is LFR for? Why is there a third difficulty when the end result is nerfing normal and heroic content anyway?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General