Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm

I can see banning those doxxing, but general banning is... bleh... not that I go to /v/... only thread worth checking is /co/ =P
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/bible-pushing-christians-open-the-door-for-satanic-activity-books-in-florida-schools/

I'm actually really glad they're doing this... most of the highly vocal Christians that are pushing through these religious laws/court judgments really don't understand what kinds of a doors they're truly opening...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:56 pm

this is what i said should happen all along...
you want YOUR religion in public schools, it needs to be open to all
and it is happening :D

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nooska » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Started levlling another holy cow as prot... in Eitrigg... US... Haven't picked up mists or WoD yet US side - and just preordered and payed for boxed CE for EU.....
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:54 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby bldavis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:32 pm

i realized how big of a nerd i was when i found my self fascinated watching a playlist of just videos about the elements in order of period number

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Amirya » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Intro to Astronomy (AST 111) wrote:Consider a civilization broadcasting a signal with a power of 1.4×104 watts. The Arecibo radio telescope, which is about 300 meters in diameter, could detect this signal if it is coming from as far away as 118 light-years. Suppose instead that the signal is being broadcast from the other side of the Milky Way Galaxy, about 70000 light-years away. How large a radio telescope would we need to detect this signal? (Hint: Use the inverse square law for light.)

Me, after the second wrong answer wrote:( Milky Way Light Years / Arecibo given distance ) x Arecibo size (300meters) = Your answer

Screw the inverse square law. It made no sense whatsoever.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:40 am

Er.... wat?

edit: meaning, the answer should simply be (new_distance/old_distance)^2*aricebo_area
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Amirya » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:17 am

I have a unique brain. In order to explain it to my classmates, I wrote a huge long paragraph instead of a formula (formula is courtesy one of the classmates).

I have no idea why we were supposed to use the inverse square law, though. It's in chapter 15 of our textbooks, but we jump from 13 to 24...

assuming, of course, you mean, "what the fuck sort of english is that, Amirya?"

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:37 am

Well, you use the inverse square law because it tells you the radiated power per unit area from a point source. To detect the signal, the detector (aricebo's dish in this case) needs to measure a certain level of power. The power it measures is its area times the power per unit area hitting it (i.e., from inverse square law).

Example:
Code: Select all
d = 300m         //aricebo diameter
A = pi*(d/2)^2   // aricebo area

P = 1.4e104      // radiated power from source
R1 = 118         // distance from source to detector, in light years

I1 = P / (4*pi*R1^2)  // Intensity at detector
p1 = I1 * A           // Power collected by detector

Ok, now you want to change the distance between the source and detector from R1=118 to R2=70000 light years. That causes the intensity to drop off to
I2 = P / (4*pi*R2^2)

Which means if we use Aricebo again, we only collect
p2 = I2 * A = A * P / (4*pi*R2)^2

Which is MUCH less than p1 because R2 is MUCH bigger than R1 was, and we're dividing by R^2. The wording of the problem indicates that we need to collect at least p1 worth of power to be able to detect the source ("could detect this signal if it is coming from as far away as 118 light-years").

So, back to the drawing board - we need a bigger detector, so we can collect more power. How much bigger? Well, let's go through this again, but this time with a detector of area A3 that's larger than A. We'll also stipulate that the power we collect (p3) has to be equal to p1, since we know that's enough power to actually detect the signal.

Math happens:
p1 = I1 * A
p3 = I2 * A3

p1 = p3

I1 * A = I2 * A3

Now we substitute our values in for I1 and I2:
A * P / (4*pi*R1^2) = A3 * P / (4*pi*R2^2)

The P/(4*pi) cancels, leaving us with:
A/R1^2 = A3/R2^2

And we simply solve that for A3:
A3 = (R2/R1)^2 * A

Since Area = pi*r^2 = pi/4*d^2, we'd take the square root of this to figure out the change in diameter, which gives you your original formula:
d3 = (R2/R1)*d

In other words, the area of the new detector needs to be (70000/118)^2=351910.371 times bigger than Aricebo. But since area goes as the square of radius (or diameter), that only needs to be 70000/118=593 times as large.

The wording of the problem ("how large a radio telescope") is sort of ambiguous. I assumed it was looking for the area, because that's a more interesting quantity here. You were calculating the diameter. Both are acceptable, I guess - they both describe the new telescopes "size" accurately enough, just in different ways. I probably would have asked for the area if I had written the problem, since it would force the student to think about the inverse square law.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Era » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:55 am

theckhd wrote:Well, you use the inverse square law because it tells you the radiated power per unit area from a point source. To detect the signal, the detector (aricebo's dish in this case) needs to measure a certain level of power. The power it measures is its area times the power per unit area hitting it (i.e., from inverse square law).

Example:
d = 300m         //aricebo diameter
A = pi*(d/2)^2   // aricebo area

P = 1.4e104      // radiated power from source
R1 = 118         // distance from source to detector, in light years

I1 = P / (4*pi*R1^2)  // Intensity at detector
p1 = I1 * A           // Power collected by detector

Ok, now you want to change the distance between the source and detector from R1=118 to R2=70000 light years. That causes the intensity to drop off to
I2 = P / (4*pi*R2^2)

Which means if we use Aricebo again, we only collect
p2 = I2 * A = A * P / (4*pi*R2)^2

Which is MUCH less than p1 because R2 is MUCH bigger than R1 was, and we're dividing by R^2. The wording of the problem indicates that we need to collect at least p1 worth of power to be able to detect the source ("could detect this signal if it is coming from as far away as 118 light-years").

So, back to the drawing board - we need a bigger detector, so we can collect more power. How much bigger? Well, let's go through this again, but this time with a detector of area A3 that's larger than A. We'll also stipulate that the power we collect (p3) has to be equal to p1, since we know that's enough power to actually detect the signal.

Math happens:
p1 = I1 * A
p3 = I2 * A3

p1 = p3

I1 * A = I2 * A3

Now we substitute our values in for I1 and I2:
A * P / (4*pi*R1^2) = A3 * P / (4*pi*R2^2)

The P/(4*pi) cancels, leaving us with:
A/R1^2 = A3/R2^2

And we simply solve that for A3:
A3 = (R2/R1)^2 * A

Since Area = pi*r^2 = pi/4*d^2, we'd take the square root of this to figure out the change in diameter, which gives you your original formula:
d3 = (R2/R1)*d

In other words, the area of the new detector needs to be (70000/118)^2=351910.371 times bigger than Aricebo. But since area goes as the square of radius (or diameter), that only needs to be 70000/118=593 times as large.

The wording of the problem ("how large a radio telescope") is sort of ambiguous. I assumed it was looking for the area, because that's a more interesting quantity here. You were calculating the diameter. Both are acceptable, I guess - they both describe the new telescopes "size" accurately enough, just in different ways. I probably would have asked for the area if I had written the problem, since it would force the student to think about the inverse square law.

Most amusing post in amusement thread, imo.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Amirya » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:02 pm

And that is the most explanatory and comprehensive post I've ever found about inverse square law. I really appreciate it, Theck :) Thank you.

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:45 am

Fringe benefits of having a physics ph.d. on board ;)

And yes, this amuses me :)
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Era » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:26 am

Nooska wrote:Fringe benefits of having a physics ph.d. on board ;)

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. "Oh look, what a funny cat gif! Also, here's this long post about physics!"
Probably helps that I actually enjoy that stuff. If I could do a third degree, it'd probably be in physics. Or architecture. Or maybe criminology. I'm a difficult child, okay?
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:01 am

Wholeheartedly agree
---
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:46 am

Era wrote:
Nooska wrote:Fringe benefits of having a physics ph.d. on board ;)

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. "Oh look, what a funny cat gif! Also, here's this long post about physics!"
Probably helps that I actually enjoy that stuff. If I could do a third degree, it'd probably be in physics. Or architecture. Or maybe criminology. I'm a difficult child, okay?

Well, if you're anything like me, it's just that LEARNING is fun. Doesn't really matter what it is so long as it tingles the curious bone.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Era » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:27 am

Sagara wrote:Well, if you're anything like me, it's just that LEARNING is fun. Doesn't really matter what it is so long as it tingles the curious bone.

Yeah. If it wasn't for the practical need for additional money (more than for just living, like paying back student loans etc) and just a little dash of materialism (I have expensive tastes okay), I'd just aim to be a student my entire life. Learning as much as possible about as many things as possible.
Era

Postby Nooska » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:44 am

You never stop learning;
As long as you are learning you are living (and inverse, if you aren't learning then you are already dead)

Era should know this proverb as its an old nordic one (which has been rewritten for present day; original " We learn as long as we live")
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Arnock » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Internet went down this afternoon, so on a whim I decided to try USB tethering from my phone.

I have 0 bars of LTE reception inside my apartment, but my download speeds tripled.

Yay only having access to DSL!
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Amirya » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:17 pm

Doing the Iron Horde stuff on my paladin, all she gets is gold from the quests.

Do them on my warrior. She gets a ring. Then the quest "Lunatic Lieutenants," offers a 515 necklace that requires the character to be level 100 to equip. LOL

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 pm

I too want to playyyy. :( Even though I'm currently in Japan, my WoW account still resides on the EU servers, so still some hours to go for me.
Era

Postby Amirya » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:26 pm

My paladin managed to get tier pants and gloves off the Celestials pre-patch. Now that the patch hit, it amuses me to see "Heroic" on those two pieces of her gear.

Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Apple's new iMac has a 5k resolution, and it has a mobile GPU.

This ought to be... interesting.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Koatanga » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Arnock wrote:Apple's new iMac has a 5k resolution, and it has a mobile GPU.

This ought to be... interesting.

The resolution is going to surpass that of the human retina. Maybe Apple can re-invent the eye so all those pixels could be useful. They could call it the iBall.

Actually it's not that bad, since it's a 27" monitor. Only 220 pixels per inch. My Kindle beats that at 339 ppi.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Ironshield » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 am

Era wrote:
Sagara wrote:Well, if you're anything like me, it's just that LEARNING is fun. Doesn't really matter what it is so long as it tingles the curious bone.

Yeah. If it wasn't for the practical need for additional money (more than for just living, like paying back student loans etc) and just a little dash of materialism (I have expensive tastes okay), I'd just aim to be a student my entire life. Learning as much as possible about as many things as possible.

Might I suggest:
https://coursera.org/
There are quite a few other MOOCs out there as well, but I've used Coursera so I can confidently recommend it. There is a wide range of courses available as well.
Ironshield

PreviousNext

Return to General