Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Seeing the maintankadin banner at the top makes me feel at home again.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Seeing the maintankadin banner at the top makes me feel at home again.

Same here.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:04 am

Glancing through last couple days patch notes, I saw
Druids should no longer cast One with Nature while being mind-controlled by NPCs.

Now I can't stop giggling thinking of a druid mindcontrolled and teleporting outside of the raid
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am

It amuses me that the "Shield of Mockery" has dodge/parry on it.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 am

I don't understand Vale's goal with SteamOS and Steam Machines.

Linux based OS that will "stream" games from a PC or Mac to a TV or play native Linux games. Streaming games sucks for the most part. No major publishers have promised Linux support. So you get an OS that plays a bunch of, but not all, indie games.

Steam Machines will have multiple hardware specs so developers who might want to code for it will have to behave like they're coding for PCs and target multiple implementations instead of console devs targeting the console.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fetzie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Flex wrote:I don't understand Vale's goal with SteamOS and Steam Machines.

Linux based OS that will "stream" games from a PC or Mac to a TV or play native Linux games. Streaming games sucks for the most part. No major publishers have promised Linux support. So you get an OS that plays a bunch of, but not all, indie games.

Steam Machines will have multiple hardware specs so developers who might want to code for it will have to behave like they're coding for PCs and target multiple implementations instead of console devs targeting the console.

What if the Steam client on Linux basically becomes a compatibility layer like WINE. nVidia's Shield streams games over the LAN and it has hardly any lag from what I've seen.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Pretty sure Shield's streaming is a proprietary thing built around nVidia's tech I'd Steam OS doesn't seem to be aiming that closed. I've streamed some AirPlay WoW and Diablo 3 on my i5 and it isn't unplayable, but it isn't ideal noticeable delay between computer screen and TV and lower FPS.

On the hardware side why would a company want to make a Steam Machine? Unless Valve makes it so games purchased on a Steam Machine gives a cut to the manufacturer they'll have to charge enough to maintain a profit, so you're looking at premium gaming PC prices or shitty boxes designed to be obsolete at launch to force an upgrade cycle.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:26 pm

It's an interesting direction to take. An open source operating system designed for games consoles, intended to challenge Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo by encouraging hardware manufacturers to move into the games console market. To make it work they need to get developers coding for the OS, and to get manufacturers installing it. If they're successful, SteamOS could become for games consoles what Android is for smartphones (with Steam as the app store taking a cut of sales). But it'll be hard to convince people to adopt the OS on a wide enough level to succeed.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fetzie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Amusement of the day: Method's TeamSpeak on the pull of their Blackfuse heroic video.

Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:32 pm

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... r-comments

Although I cannot blame them, somehow every page devolves into how obama will be taking your guns...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am

KysenMurrin wrote:SteamOS could become for games consoles what Android is for smartphones

So a good idea that doesn't work on anything except a few flagship [boxes] because its designed for features and/or hardware that doesn't exist in most [boxes] that people will look at buying?

Say what you will about Apple and the iPhone market - they have made a pretty good choice (for themselves) in having 1 platform for their OS where they decide the hardware specs, they know which ID will be rturned for whether a feature is available, as well as what devices can handle a given OS upgrade.
(I'll assume you don't expect steam to do a google "we want to know everything" ability in their OS - they have enough in the steam store in regards to your purchasing)

(This from somone who really enjoye dthe DOS days and Norton Commander for being able to delve into things - I'm too old to have gotten on the Linux wave, and too old to have been on the Unix wave so no transfer there)

Remember, most steam users (like most phone users) have no need for being able to go behind the scenes.

Also, I remember reading in a danish article on a tech site that steam has nods from several AAA producers that they would deelop for the new system.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 am

I was more referring ot the way Android has 50% market coverage because it's used by dozens of manufacturers - Android has enough coverage that they automatically get most app developers working on their platform. Which would be a huge success for Valve if they can pull off the same idea on games consoles. But I don't know if they'll manage it.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Era » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 am

"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I was more referring ot the way Android has 50% market coverage because it's used by dozens of manufacturers - Android has enough coverage that they automatically get most app developers working on their platform. Which would be a huge success for Valve if they can pull off the same idea on games consoles. But I don't know if they'll manage it.

The issue here is that why would someone who isn't in the console business get into it because of SteamOS? Valve will continue making money off of Steam so hardware people will have to make money off of hardware. Considering it is a PC the options are charge a premium for good gaming hardware like PC Gaming companies, so it'll probably be more expensive than a console and not really be any different than having a PC in your living room, or charge razor thin margins on crap products like a lot of low end PC manufacturers do and try to make up for it in volume.

Streaming only boxes, which may work or may not, might skirt that issue but of course increases cost by requiring a separate PC to do the actual gaming. It doesn't really make it a console at all in that case.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:30 am

Fair point. But the market is moving away from home PCs - the sales are dropping significantly - and it's possible we're heading to a near future where people don't have one in the house, but still want something they can play games on. SteamOS could be Valve positioning themselves to stay in the game if PCs (as we currently know them) become too small a market.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General