Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Arnock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Sounds less like they want it dismissed because "you can't be racist against white people" but more along the lines of "The racial comments were directed at black people, and the white person shouldn't be able to sue because s/he's not the affected party"

What exactly did Paula allegedly say/do anyway?

Edit: From what I'm reading, it sounds like she's being sued because she admitted to using racial slurs in the past during an interview?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby bldavis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 pm

from what i read, i twas while planning her brothers wedding in 2007
not what she said 20+ years ago

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Arnock wrote:Sounds less like they want it dismissed because "you can't be racist against white people" but more along the lines of "The racial comments were directed at black people, and the white person shouldn't be able to sue because s/he's not the affected party"

What exactly did Paula allegedly say/do anyway?

Edit: From what I'm reading, it sounds like she's being sued because she admitted to using racial slurs in the past during an interview?

She's being sued because of the treatment of an employee at one of the restaurants.

She's being grilled over the coals for admitting to using the racial remarks in the past, which came out in testimony/deposition.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:31 pm

bldavis wrote:from what i read, i twas while planning her brothers wedding in 2007
not what she said 20+ years ago

And how many of us would be crucified on the public stage for any comment we made in private with family/friends? Probably most.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Arnock wrote:Sounds less like they want it dismissed because "you can't be racist against white people" but more along the lines of "The racial comments were directed at black people, and the white person shouldn't be able to sue because s/he's not the affected party"

That is the argument being pushed by her lawyers.

"Jackson cannot enforce someone else’s rights, and she has no actionable claim for feeling 'uncomfortable' around discriminatory conduct directed at others;" they wrote, before quoting Bermudez v. TRC Holdings, Inc., "'[i]f unease on observing wrongs perpetrated against others were enough to support litigation, all doctrines of standing and justiciability would be out the window.'"
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Klaudandus wrote:

That is the argument being pushed by her lawyers.

"Jackson cannot enforce someone else’s rights, and she has no actionable claim for feeling 'uncomfortable' around discriminatory conduct directed at others;" they wrote, before quoting Bermudez v. TRC Holdings, Inc., "'[i]f unease on observing wrongs perpetrated against others were enough to support litigation, all doctrines of standing and justiciability would be out the window.'"

Meanwhile, the political correctness nazis have damaged her FAR more than that lawsuit ever would have done, even if it's thrown out. She's sidelined for good.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:26 pm

halabar wrote:
Meanwhile, the political correctness nazis have damaged her FAR more than that lawsuit ever would have done, even if it's thrown out. She's sidelined for good.

Ah, the joys of the court of public opinion. Far more damaging for most, particularly folks whose livelihood relies on public image, than any actual criminal or civil trial outcome ever could be.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:33 pm

benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:

Ah, the joys of the court of public opinion. Far more damaging for most, particularly folks whose livelihood relies on public image, than any actual criminal or civil trial outcome ever could be.

It's not even really public opinion at this point. All it takes is one sponsor to drop someone, and then all the others have to follow suit, since that first one made news, so the "crisis management" by the sponsors becomes the news story. Likely even before one customer actually complained.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:06 pm

halabar wrote:
benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:

It's not even really public opinion at this point. All it takes is one sponsor to drop someone, and then all the others have to follow suit, since that first one made news, so the "crisis management" by the sponsors becomes the news story. Likely even before one customer actually complained.

and you don't think those actions are informed by fear of public opinion?

Paula Deen is probably not the best example (I actually don't care so have no idea, but from what I saw it seemed no different than any other 'outcry' over something someone remotely famous did)
benebarba

Postby halabar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 pm

benebarba wrote:and you don't think those actions are informed by fear of public opinion?

Paula Deen is probably not the best example (I actually don't care so have no idea, but from what I saw it seemed no different than any other 'outcry' over something someone remotely famous did)

It's gone something like this...

A while ago, PR moves like this were done out of response to public opinion.
More recently, PR moves were made out of fear of public opinion.
Now, they are creating public opinion.

In Dean's case the first sponsor to drop her did so the day after the testimony was revealed. I highly doubt any public outcry had started yet. Then the rest of the sponsors jumped ship as well.

It may be valid to not renew her contracts (she has plenty of other issues), but the rats jumping ship because of some courtroom testimony of past events seems extreme in the speed in which it occurred.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 pm

halabar wrote:It may be valid to not renew her contracts (she has plenty of other issues), but the rats jumping ship because of some courtroom testimony of past events seems extreme in the speed in which it occurred.

Again, at least based on my own anecdotes (Julian Assange and Snowden fell into this as well I think - since there was pretty much always a character assassination flavor to the coverage/discussion of those guys), I don't think the speed is so extreme when measured against the speed with which word spreads via social media and online news outlets compared to traditional 'bad press' methods in the more traditional news media.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Amusement: somehow I completely forgot about 2 abilities for my windwalker.

then found out that one of them I may as well forget again.
benebarba

Postby Andurin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 pm

From CAD comics (www.cad-comic.com/cad/)

Andurin

Postby Kelerei » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:09 am

halabar wrote:
Nooska wrote:So racism only exists legally if you are not caucasian.. Isn't that racism from the system against caucasians? by definition?

Welcome to America!!!

You guys have it easy. If you only knew how this part of the world works... :roll:
Kelerei

Postby cdan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 am

Can we just, for a moment, remember how hard life is for white people. Especially white males. All those years of subjugation and oppression, all those opportunities denied them.

It must only be what, maybe 1 or 2 thousand years that the white male has been at the top of the pile. Somebody needs to give them a break.
cdan

PreviousNext

Return to General