Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:Umm... we are talking uproar and outrage over not being able to sue the maker of a game box, right?.. Sure, they are bastards, but it is a game box..

Contract lawyers probably don't see it (the SC decision and it's results, that is) that way. And I'm not sure I can disagree with the idea.

-- edited to add: actually, all I've seen discussed on legal blogs, law school class sites, etc. is that the SC decision only related to arbitration clauses (i.e. sounds like you can go to arbitration but not sue for damages if the contract so states), so I wonder how much comes down to a writer's interpretation vs actual legal interpretation. I assume this is mainly people getting pissed about the fact that they think they may have no or little recourse if the Red Circle of Doom happens again.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... ors/66443/

The SCOTUS just gave their ruling today on an antitrust/arbitration issue
The Supreme Court didn't. The Court's opinion, written by Justice Scalia on behalf of the conservative justices (Sotomayor recused), argues that the agreement between the parties is more important even than any other consideration. The majority argued, in short, the contract is the most important consideration.

Again it is a case of a contract specifying arbitration. Further, both these rulings pertain to contracts between professional entities, rather than seller v. consumer.
It also has the further pespective that the court must consider, being that, extending these rulings to an agreement (it is not a 'contract' as in the other two cases) would lower the rights of consumers in the US for the same issue that would be actionable by the rest of the world.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 am

A guy who's raided extensively in the past with my GM/RL made this post about him today and it made us laugh at how accurate it really is.

~~~~~
I have made an exhaustive study, and am prepared to offer my findings.

First, there is the log-in.

Then the start of raid.

The First Wipe

The Tenth Wipe

The Thirtieth Wipe

Then it's either The Victory

Or the conciliatory send-off.

Alternatively, after a month or so of wipes.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ating.html

"We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10132391/Riot-after-Chinese-teachers-try-to-stop-pupils-cheating.html

I'm sure this will do wonders for the already biased views many have on chinese education :P
benebarba

Postby cdan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 am

There is far greater jeopardy involved in not getting a university place in China than there is in the UK and US. Far more competition for places and a lot greater difference in future career outcomes and earning prospects. I can certainly understand why there is so much tension involved in the process.
cdan

Postby Flex » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10132391/Riot-after-Chinese-teachers-try-to-stop-pupils-cheating.html

Isn't that the argument used for doping in cycling?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Chunes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am

Flex wrote:

Isn't that the argument used for doping in cycling?

Except in cycling, if you don't make the top spot you're not relegated to a miserable life of menial labor and no opportunity.

:(

Still, it's pretty surreal that cheating is so endemic that doing something to mitigate it is seen as a brutally unjust and unfair act towards the cheating students.
Chunes

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Is it bad that I told my mom to let me know if she starts quacking after the doctor told her that she's starting to develop a fatty liver?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Pfife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Amusing myself at the moment. Nearly wet myself when they announced Megaman in the next Smash Bros game. Been a fan since I was able to rent the second game at the local video store back in the early 90's and this is quite possibly the only reason I have to get a WiiU. I finally got off my butt and did this a little earlier tonight;

http://imgur.com/a/GwFPm#0

I like what I managed to do with just Youtube, PrintScreen and MSPaint. The whole thing is rotating on my desktop with this as the last one;

Ghostcrawler: Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.
Pfife

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

They need to fix that achievement.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:05 pm

I like when I logged into my pally and somehow got the achieve for 200 pet points when I already had the 400 point achieve.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Slightly morbid, but for the life of me I cannot fathom how fast must people drive on I-35 then lose control and crash against the contention walls... specially judging by some of the skidmarks I see going across 3 lanes and heading straight into the wall.

Also:
---
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 am

The water repelling witchcraft spray strikes again!
http://youtu.be/DZrjXSsfxMQ
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby benebarba » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 am

Klaudandus wrote:Slightly morbid, but for the life of me I cannot fathom how fast must people drive on I-35 then lose control and crash against the contention walls... specially judging by some of the skidmarks I see going across 3 lanes and heading straight into the wall.

Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, right near Navy Pier has a curve that sounds like the same thing. Seriously: the concrete walls are probably covered in more rubber and paint than a nascar crash-wall. I'm not sure when the lights went in near there, but from anecdote: about 10 years ago a friend could hear an accident occur in that area from their nearby office nearly every day.

Klaudandus wrote:Also:

I love the oatmeal.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 am

Teranoid wrote:I like when I logged into my pally and somehow got the achieve for 200 pet points when I already had the 400 point achieve.

I've noticed some odd achievements popping up when I leveled my monk: seems like some aren't awarded until a certain level.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General