Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Klaudandus wrote:The damage is done for me. Once they new consoles are out, I am going with a PS4 even though I currently own a 360.

The whole class action suit forfeiture upon acceptance of their XBone ToS pretty much sucks.

Didn't Sony do the same thing with an updated ToS after the PSN hack?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm

I honestly don't remember, but then again, I dont have a PS3.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:58 pm

You can still bring an individual case against them though, can't you?

(ToU and EULAs aren't legally binding documents in Europe)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Nooska » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am

An'd I'm pretty sure a prohiibition to bring class action lawsuits isn't legally binding in all 50 states either.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby benebarba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 am

Nooska wrote:An'd I'm pretty sure a prohiibition to bring class action lawsuits isn't legally binding in all 50 states either.

I am fairly certain (at least based on some lawyer-friends comments - IANAL) there is a fair bit of legal precident for not being able to waive your right to file a lawsuit (but perhaps it was only in certain specific cases? dunno). I do believe that some waivers can be used to move for the *dismissal* of a suit, provided they meet the appropriate contract law requirements regarding the specific suit.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 am

Nooska wrote:An'd I'm pretty sure a prohiibition to bring class action lawsuits isn't legally binding in all 50 states either.

NOPE.
Microsoft's EULA change comes in the wake of a 2011 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that limited how state courts had interpreted U.S. citizens' legal rights. In the case, called AT&T v. Concepcion, AT&T Wireless had advertised a free cell phone, but it billed the Concepcions $30 for the sales tax. They filed a class action lawsuit, but AT&T's contract specified mandatory arbitration instead. California courts permitted the class action status of the suit to proceed, but that status ultimately was disallowed by the Supreme Court, citing an interpretation of the Federal Arbitration Act. The Supreme Court's 5-to-4 decision has since opened the door for corporations to simply remove the public's legal rights via contract law.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:54 am

Umm... we are talking uproar and outrage over not being able to sue the maker of a game box, right?.. Sure, they are bastards, but it is a game box..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:57 am

halabar wrote:Umm... we are talking uproar and outrage over not being able to sue the maker of a game box, right?.. Sure, they are bastards, but it is a game box..

Contract lawyers probably don't see it (the SC decision and it's results, that is) that way. And I'm not sure I can disagree with the idea.

-- edited to add: actually, all I've seen discussed on legal blogs, law school class sites, etc. is that the SC decision only related to arbitration clauses (i.e. sounds like you can go to arbitration but not sue for damages if the contract so states), so I wonder how much comes down to a writer's interpretation vs actual legal interpretation. I assume this is mainly people getting pissed about the fact that they think they may have no or little recourse if the Red Circle of Doom happens again.

On to actual amusement: terrible reviews pouring in for WWZ, which seems to be yet another 'let's call it the same thing as a well-recieved book and hope we make loads of money' movie.
benebarba

Postby Chunes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 am

Pretty much every time a WWZ trailer would play, my wife would get pissed and start going off on tirades about how they bastardized the book's plot, shoved brad pitt into the main role to draw in audiences, totally fucked up the whole zombie flavor in the movie and basically stated the writer/director/producer and their families and friends should all be round up and shot.

Suffice to say, she loved the book.
Chunes

Postby benebarba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 am

Chunes wrote:Pretty much every time a WWZ trailer would play, my wife would get pissed and start going off on tirades about how they bastardized the book's plot, shoved brad pitt into the main role to draw in audiences, totally fucked up the whole zombie flavor in the movie and basically stated the writer/director/producer and their families and friends should all be round up and shot.

Suffice to say, she loved the book.

I quite liked the way it was written, specifically because it wasn't a first or third person horror story pulling out yet another old trope. I had thought the book would be difficult to make into as good a movie because, well, documentaries (which the book was written in the style of, in case you hadn't read it) are usually found to be quite boring. So I wasn't terribly surprised it became a big-budget action flick that has barely even a passing resemblance to the book. Had they even tried for more of a 'disaster movie' feel, I think it would have been better. Well, that or not making it at all and letting this stupid zombie craze start it's final path to oblivion.

Well, that or it could be getting the John Carter treatment... but somehow I doubt that since at least a couple reviews I read were familiar with the book.
benebarba

Postby Chunes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am

I read the book and loved it. I think given an ambitious enough director, the movie could probably have been faithfully done, but it wouldn't be a "summer blockbuster", but rather a more cerebral look at the whole zombie apocalypse.

But... that kind of thing doesn't sell as well, so they just put it through the hollywood juicer and spoonfed it to the masses.
Chunes

Postby cdan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 am

Its been getting decent reviews and has barely been released. Not sure why there are the doom and gloom suggestions above.
cdan

Postby benebarba » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 am

cdan wrote:Its been getting decent reviews and has barely been released. Not sure why there are the doom and gloom suggestions above.

*shrug* I saw probably 5 published reviews which panned it and just checked rotten tomatoes is up to 86 already with a ~70% rating. The RT reviews seem to peg on if you were expecting the book or another zombie movie.
benebarba

Postby cdan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 am

benebarba wrote:
cdan wrote:Its been getting decent reviews and has barely been released. Not sure why there are the doom and gloom suggestions above.

*shrug* I saw probably 5 published reviews which panned it and just checked rotten tomatoes is up to 86 already with a ~70% rating. The RT reviews seem to peg on if you were expecting the book or another zombie movie.

There is an article on the Guardian site today that sums it all up for me - about how disappointed people are that it isn't a giant turkey as expense flops are the most welcome kind for a lot of people. John Carter and Heaven's Gate were amongst several examples used.
cdan

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 am

Soooo...joined a World Boss group as per my usually weekly world boss mount attempts go. Go do Oon first and as a tank with a OS of DPS, I feel ok with it. I end up destroying everyone at something like 180k (closest person was around 110k). I get a whisper from the RL saying he's kicking me because my dps may impede the group due to the other people thinking they're playstyle is wrong and end up leaving...overall hurting the other three world bosses he intended to kill.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General