Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:28 am

Not to mention that games you bought might actually be 10 year rentals, in case MS decides to shut down the authentication servers that your XBone connects to.

Major Nelson says that wont happen, but everyone in MS has been sending conflicting stories to begin with.

Oh yeah, and the digital version of the games costs as much as the physical version. So much for Steam pricing.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:15 am

Teranoid wrote:If your Skynet2000 isn't on the list of the regions supported by Microsoft your console may not even work. When asked by a user why he should buy one if he travels frequently he was told that "if he travels a lot he'll be able to play when he returns home. He should have a 360 for road gaming" IM SORRY? I just gave you five hundred dollars for a game console and YOU'RE going to dictate to me when I can fucking use it? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

Japan is not one of the primary launch locations for the console. Yeah I get it they didn't have the kind of install base they do elsewhere but WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TURN DOWN PEOPLE WILLING TO GIVE YOU THEIR MONEY. Microsoft is absolutely out of their fucking minds if they think they're singlehandedly going to force the consumers hand into this bullshit.

I don't think it is entirely up to Microsoft. Remember how quite a few of the European WoW customers can't participate in Blizzard competitions because of local online gambling laws? Microsoft would be breaking the law if their console doesn't comply with local legislation, and it is easier and cheaper to just not sell in those countries than it would be to give them a console that complies with the law (and opening themselves up to US and those EU customers that CAN buy the device demanding the "Japanese version").
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:56 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Man of Steel makes me question my undying loyalty to The Dark Knight trilogy as the best example of what the Superhero genre can bring to movies.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Image

Oh..my..fucking..god.
Teranoid

Postby Nooska » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:54 am

The funny thing is, they are selling it in Denmark - we have a pretty strict consumer law - TOS, no, EULAS, no, nothing can be required that is not on the actual box - so banning an account and saying "swoosh" to the games on it? not legal, arbitrarily stopping authentication services at some point in the future - nope, not legal.
So by selling in Denmark, MS becomes required to keep the authentication services running, in perpetuity or patching the console so it will never require those authentication services well before services EOL.

Also, as previously said, this so called "ownership" of the 'license' to use a game thah MS is pushing through itself and its developers?
An author of software cannot oppose the resale of his ‘used’ licences allowing the use of his programs downloaded from the internet.
The exclusive right of distribution of a copy of a computer program covered by such a licence is exhausted on its first sale.

Those last 2 sentences are a direct quote from the court of justice of the european union (http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs ... 0094en.pdf)

Edit: a further cut from the release:
Under that directive*, the first sale in the EU of a copy of a computer program by the copyright holder or with his consent exhausts the right of distribution of that copy in the EU. A rightholder who has marketed a copy in the territory of a Member State of the EU thus loses the right to rely on his monopoly of exploitation in order to oppose the resale of that copy.

*Directive 2009/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the legal protection of computer programs (OJ 2009 L 111, p. 16).

^^ And yes, I am amused that MS thinks this crap will work in the EU,which has already levied fines in the billions on MS.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Teranoid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 am

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-d ... ue-6410352

From the comments "I bet this is how the Germans felt near the end of WWII"
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 am

Teranoid wrote:http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-defends-xbox-one-500-price-point-were-over-delivering-value-6410352

From the comments "I bet this is how the Germans felt near the end of WWII"

I like one that is a couple of comments below the one you mentioned

"Xbox is starting to remind me of Amy from Amy's Baking Company..."
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Chunes » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 am

I've stayed somewhat on the periphery of this console topic, but one thing that truly amuses me is the fact that it's being commonly referred to as "Xbone".

I like microsoft for the most part. I'm not really that hostile towards windows 8 and I think that this whole "always online" paradigm will probably be the way things wind up, in like 10-15 years.

They're just trying to force something that's not mature yet. Until the internet is completely ubiquitous, like, I'm on top of mount fucking everest and I still can check my email ubiquitous, then this sort of regime won't really fly.

Someday I think we'll be there.

(mind you I'm only really talking about all the cloud connect and always on mumbo jumbo. This licensing scheme they have cooked up is really fucking stupid and just kind of makes me scratch my head. Next they'll want to charge us yearly for our access to game licences just so we can have them on multiple devices - office 365 anyone?)
Chunes

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:39 am

Chunes wrote:They're just trying to force something that's not mature yet. Until the internet is completely ubiquitous, like, I'm on top of mount fucking everest and I still can check my email without having to pay for a broadcasting license from the nepalese government, then this sort of regime won't really fly.

FTFY :P

(for those wondering: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22681414 )
benebarba

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:50 am

From Bleszinski
You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.

I like how people in the industry think it is the Used/Rental market that will hurt gaming. I'd bet most people on the outside would think it is the game and marketing budgets being that high being at fault.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 am

Flex wrote:From Bleszinski
You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.

I like how people in the industry think it is the Used/Rental market that will hurt gaming. I'd bet most people on the outside would think it is the game and marketing budgets being that high being at fault.

so gaming is going through what the movie industry did (and to some extent still is, because basically the big studios refused to change their models)?
benebarba

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:03 pm

benebarba wrote:

so gaming is going through what the movie industry did (and to some extent still is, because basically the big studios refused to change their models)?

Pretty much. Spielberg and Lucas are on record saying the movie industry is going to implode soon since everyone is afraid to take risks on movies that wont be blockbusters or appeal to the largest(lowest?) demographic, then again I see a movie about giant robots fighting giant alien sea monsters and think they might be wrong about that.

We're in a period where AAA games have to sell about 5 million copies to be successful. The Tomb Raider reboot sold 3.4 million and was a disappointment. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sold 1.2 million after 90 days but needed to move over 3 million to be profitable.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Do not even get me started on good old Cliffy B and his "a game is only as good as how many millions you spend on it"

That dumbfuck thinks people buy Gears of War for the story.
Teranoid

PreviousNext

Return to General