Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Shoju » Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 am

Worldie wrote:Just amazing they can put Spectator mode for pet battles, yet they still can't for Arenas which would be way more interesting to watch.

I just... (bites tongue, exhales deeply) this is why I was against pet battles. Design time to pet battles moves time away from other things.

I enjoy my spot on the porch.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 am

Pet Battles aren't instanced and currently the player pets are phased out when they're in combat, you just see a dude standing there. Turn phasing off and tada, spectator mode.

Shoju wrote:I just... (bites tongue, exhales deeply) this is why I was against pet battles. Design time to pet battles moves time away from other things.

There's not exactly a lack of things to do in this game at the moment if you remove pet battles from the equation.
Last edited by Flex on Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 am

Shoju wrote:
Worldie wrote:Just amazing they can put Spectator mode for pet battles, yet they still can't for Arenas which would be way more interesting to watch.

I just... (bites tongue, exhales deeply) this is why I was against pet battles. Design time to pet battles moves time away from other things.

Funnily enough:
Do you guys plan to fix up Silvermoon soon? The Sunwell has been restore since 2 expansions ago.
What new content would you be willing to give up so that artists could focus on Silvermoon? (Source)
It should be done for consistency. How about you make a patch focused on Lor'Themar, Velen/Anduin and revamp both BC zones ^_^
I'm not sure many players get excited about consistency. In a world of infinite artists, I'd totally agree. (Source)

"Would you spend art time on Silvermoon or new raid?" Huge bummer that this is even an "or" question, and it's happening a lot
Why? There are a limited number of hours in the day and we can only hire folks so fast. (Source)
And even if we could double our art team tomorrow, I'd then ask do you want 1 raid + Silvermoon or 2 raids? (Source)
Prioritization is just a part of this or any business. It's not a questions of being cheap. It's a question of bang for the buck. (Source)
I get it can remove the fantasy of the world to portray things in terms of artist hours, but those are very real considerations. (Source)

So... yeah.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Shoju wrote:

Funnily enough:
Do you guys plan to fix up Silvermoon soon? The Sunwell has been restore since 2 expansions ago.
What new content would you be willing to give up so that artists could focus on Silvermoon? (Source)
It should be done for consistency. How about you make a patch focused on Lor'Themar, Velen/Anduin and revamp both BC zones ^_^
I'm not sure many players get excited about consistency. In a world of infinite artists, I'd totally agree. (Source)

"Would you spend art time on Silvermoon or new raid?" Huge bummer that this is even an "or" question, and it's happening a lot
Why? There are a limited number of hours in the day and we can only hire folks so fast. (Source)
And even if we could double our art team tomorrow, I'd then ask do you want 1 raid + Silvermoon or 2 raids? (Source)
Prioritization is just a part of this or any business. It's not a questions of being cheap. It's a question of bang for the buck. (Source)
I get it can remove the fantasy of the world to portray things in terms of artist hours, but those are very real considerations. (Source)

So... yeah.

Not exactly sure how that relates to pet battles since it is explicitly about raids vs world art and I'm pretty sure none of the pet battle stuff uses new animation.

From tweets Scenarios and Quests are the same team and Raids and Dungeons are the same team. So unless releasing a handful of new pet designs is holding back the game I doubt things would be much different if Pet Battles never existed.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 am

Perhaps, but it still took resources from other stuff during MoP development, which has been one of Shoju's main gripe.
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 am

Shoju wrote:

You need to look at the side effects of pet battles. Many many more players are out in the old world collecting pets, doing old raids for pets, selling and trading them. While it is completely optional, it does provide some players another area to dabble in or really enjoy, and it works well at Blizz's goal of getting people out of the cities and into the world (once they nerfed the easy path of doing it it the cities).

And I haven't seen anything in Mists to suggest that pet battles have been detrimental to the game, other than an increase in rock salt purchases.

And as a goblin, I love the fact that they introduced a legal way to move gold cross-server without a character transfer.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 am

Klaudandus wrote:Perhaps, but it still took resources from other stuff during MoP development, which has been one of Shoju's main gripe.

Pet battles were part of MoP's development as a replacement for a new profession since they decided not to add one.
Flex

Postby halabar » Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 am

Klaudandus wrote:Perhaps, but it still took resources from other stuff during MoP development, which has been one of Shoju's main gripe.

But what are we really missing from Mists? I really wouldn't want more 5-mans, however the new character models sooner would have been nice.

Without looking at the development resources expended, which we don't have access to, it's hard to say just how much resources went into it, and what else those resources could have done.

And I still stay by my previous point. If it's help maintaining the subscriber base by providing other things to do, I'm for it.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 am

Yeah, I understand both sides. I kind of would have preferred new character models over pet battles, but I also understand that pet battles has people out in the world... including me.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 am

I'll be the first one to admit that Pet Battles is a success. It did what they wanted it to do. It got a segment of the population out and into the world. It just wasn't for me, and I knew looking at it, it would be something that had resources allocated to it. Resources, that I wish would have been put towards other things, including new models, updating zones, cities, etc..

those are just examples. Maybe this team of people weren't art dept. That's fine. I feel like they could have been used to improve what was already there, instead of adding this.

I just found the idea of spectator mode to be hilarious. Similar to spectatoring in Brawler's Guild. I play games to play the game, not watch someone else play the game, and the idea that you login to wow to play pokemon in wow and now you can log in to wow to watch other people play pokemon is just funny to me.

I'm sure that spectator mode will be another "success" in the evolution of it. I'm almost positive it will be. But, it does remind me of the meme just the same.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 am

Well, even I hope spectator mode for battle pets was an easy change to make, and that it didn't chew up many resources. But considering the way it was announced, I suspect it was a low-hanging fruit that was easy to do.

There are other things I would have liked, but I suspect the guys that do this phasing are not the same ones that keep breaking engineering.

The other thing to keep in mind is that they may be using this to also test tech that they'll use in other places.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 am

halabar wrote:The other thing to keep in mind is that they may be using this to also test tech that they'll use in other places.

This is where my money is. Considering the folks who do seem to just be watching in the brawler's guild (heck, even saw some of this in the deathring in DMF), and the fact that people have expressed (if I understand right from events and streams) interest in watching high-level arenas and raids... why not try to have a way for people to do that *within your own product*.

Now, I will facepalm if suddenly watching pet battles becomes a huge thing to do. I can't deny that.
benebarba

Postby Fenrìr » Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am

halabar wrote:And as a goblin, I love the fact that they introduced a legal way to move gold cross-server without a character transfer.

Wait...what...did I miss something?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 am

Fenrìr wrote:
halabar wrote:And as a goblin, I love the fact that they introduced a legal way to move gold cross-server without a character transfer.

You know, I hadn't thought of this before now, but I assume you can buy a pet, learn it, switch toons, then cage the pet on a new server?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby halabar » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
Fenrìr wrote:

You know, I hadn't thought of this before now, but I assume you can buy a pet, learn it, switch toons, then cage the pet on a new server?

Yep. Learn it, go to a toon on a different server, cage it, and stick it in the AH or whatever.

Legal cross-server gold moving without a character transfer.

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General